How aggressive is your deficit and how much do you want to lose?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have run deficits from 250 to over 3000 during stints of ERFL. One is comfortable but slow, the other extreme is certainly not!
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm in a 500 calorie deficiency. Before I was at 1000 calorie deficiency. I have lost 40 lbs in 9 months. 11 more to go!
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Around 500 a day, but I usually end up with about 700 a day. I've lost about 17 lbs in 87 days.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Anything from 200-400 ish! Technically I'm aiming for a 0.5 a week but I'll take anything! :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 1 to 2000 (just because a 0 would not be called a deficit). It levels out at about 400 if averaged. I have about 60 pounds to lose give or take.
  • Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Around 350. Trying to be a bit more aggressive this week to see how it goes.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I yolo it
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a bit dim, but what do you mean by deficit ? How do I work mine out on here?

Go to home page. Click on "Goals". Then choose either 0.5 pounds, 1.0 pounds, or 2 pounds a week to lose. 0.5 is 250 calorie deficit a day. 1.0 is 500 calorie deficit per day, and 2 pounds is 1000 calorie deficit a day. 2 pounds a week works better if you have a lot to lose. 1 pound a week for a moderate amount (say <50 pounds) and 0.5 is recommended for the last few pounds because by then the total calories needed per day will be lower since the body is so much smaller.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    About 500 per day. Sometimes a little more, usually a little less because after 18 months of losing I'm a little more, um, free with my goals! As long as I hit 0.5lbs per week on average at this point I can live with it and my health hasn't been brilliant this year so I have to make allowances for that. 50lbs lost so far, 20-30lbs to go. No real end goal, it's aesthetic for me so will know in the mirror not on the scale.

Yeah I don't have a goal weight per se I just know I need to lose fat and in order to do that I need to be in a deficit. Wondering how much of my lean mass I'm risking running higher deficits since 800 feels like I'm getting into dangerous ratio territory for each lb I lose. I'd obviously like to minimize my lean mass loss lol

Honestly? I think it's way too aggressive with what you have left and looking how pretty lean you already are in your pictures. I'd be shooting more for 250 per day now, maybe a smidge more.

My profile pic was about 8lbs ago. I had a YOLO winter and need to now take THOSE 8 off plus the 8 I had "to go" from that pic. My problem was that I wasn't sticking to a cut because it's really easy to out eat a modest deficit of 250 with one bad day on the weekend or even miscalculating or eating out and having to guess etc. I stayed 160 (that pic) for most of 2015 and then I got tired of being mindful coupled with some crappy eating and well now I have 15 to lose LOL
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep a deficit in the range of about 500-800 calories per day. I'm aiming for the 1 lb per week loss, but some days do have those extra couple hundred calories deficit as a cushion for days I want to eat more, and to protect a little against overestimating exercise calories or underestimating food.

I've lost about 85 pounds so far and have at least 55 more to go.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I love food have about 28 pounds to lose so my deficit is 250cal a week.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Being a short girl and barely even 'lightly active' I'd struggle to get a deficit of more than 350 a day without going below the 1200cal minimum :( so I have to workout a lot!! On workout days 3-4 a week I manage a 1000 deficit and on non workout days I get 300 ish.

I didn't have too much to lose. Lost 14lb last year, gave up and gained 7lbs so came back on 3 months ago looking to lose 14lbs. I've done that but now I've decided to get another 5lbs off so I have 'buffer pounds' and to see if I can lose that bit of tummy I still have. I'm really struggling to lose this last bit. I go to Ibiza with the girls in exactly 5 weeks so that's my deadline.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am between 1300-1500 deficit, i make sure to eat over 1750, but under 2000. I needed to lose 160 pounds to get to 200, then more im sure. But 200 is my "get the bulk of the weight off" goal. Losing 3-3.5 lbs a week, %1 of my weight.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    15-20 to go...1 lb per week is the goal but I'm not stressing if its a little more or a little less.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my deficit is but it's small. I lost very slowly (<1 lb per month). Been maintaining for a while but now trying to another 10 lbs or so, which I expect will come off just as slowly.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    The only time I did well was when I was still fat and relatively aggressive.

I know that feeling.

Sometimes I wish I didn't care so much about maintaining muscle so I could cut really aggressively even now. I do wonder, realistically, how much muscle I'd lose if I dropped to 1200 for a couple of months.

Not months, but weeks...sure. Why not. I am really not afraid of a bit of an aggressive calorie deficit for a short period. I lift heavy and eat all the protein.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aiming for 500 cals/day. Losing 2 pounds/week (averaged over the month) steadily for a month and a half. If this keeps up, I'll increase my activity level from "lightly active" to "active" because it appears that my burn is being underestimated. I'm giving it another month before I do that though to make sure it isn't just water weight.
  • Farhana1107
    Farhana1107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    only 200 cals because I eat 1200 and only burn 1400. It's painfully slow. I have 5 more pounds to go.

I am a little bit confused here. My maintenance is 1800. I am eating 1200 and I am burning near 150 by regularly walking. Am I doing it right? A clear explanation will be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

• ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    500-750 cals, 66 lbs to go :)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I just know how much I need to eat and exercise to continue losing weight. I guess I could figure it out, but I know I am in a deficit every week by what I eat and what the scale says. I also exercise enough to give me some cushion for the week.