Don't feel like eating

Options
I find that some days I have to force myself to eat. Is this normal when you go on this weight loss journey? The past 2 weeks I have been drinking nothing but water. Could that be the problem? I am drinking well over the 64oz recommended amount. Is that why I don't want to eat? Am I drinking too much? Should I force myself to eat something? Ugggg

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How far under your calorie goal are you?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well, you know what you need to do to lose weight...establish a deficit and don't be too extreme in your deficit. From that you know how much food you need to eat, so try to eat that amount of food. If the approach you choose to take to reach that amount of food is overly difficult, then change your approach.

If your issue is not being able to reach your calorie goal (undereating) then you can either change the types of foods you are eating to include foods that are higher in calories relative to satiation (like changing from lentils to white rice or include more treats like icecream or pizza).

You have identified that you are drinking more water than the recommended amount...may I ask why you are doing that given that it is both hard for you to do and you recognize it is not recommended?
  • rebaisett
    rebaisett Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1500. I admit I have fudge my diary a couple of times because it won't let me publish if I'm under by too much. Yesterday for example I had 420 left after I was done for the day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Have you stopped drinking today to see how you feel?

Can you try to eat some calorie dense foods to help reach your goal?

What, when and how did all this start.. Usually the opposite is true when people go on a deficit, the hunger and getting used to less calories goes through the roof?

Any medical conditions?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    rebaisett wrote: »
    My daily goal is 1500. I admit I have fudge my diary a couple of times because it won't let me publish if I'm under by too much. Yesterday for example I had 420 left after I was done for the day.

Looking at your diary I see a couple of issues: you're using some "homemade" and generic entries from the database, so it's possible you are eating more than you think you are. If you are confident those entries are correct, you may want to try swapping out some of your diet/lowfat items (baked chips, yogurt) for the regular versions so you can eat the same volume and get more calories.
  • rebaisett
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Well, you know what you need to do to lose weight...establish a deficit and don't be too extreme in your deficit. From that you know how much food you need to eat, so try to eat that amount of food. If the approach you choose to take to reach that amount of food is overly difficult, then change your approach.

If your issue is not being able to reach your calorie goal (undereating) then you can either change the types of foods you are eating to include foods that are higher in calories relative to satiation (like changing from lentils to white rice or include more treats like icecream or pizza).

You have identified that you are drinking more water than the recommended amount...may I ask why you are doing that given that it is both hard for you to do and you recognize it is not recommended?

I think subconsciously I want to lose the weight faster so I figure hey drink more water, eat less and I will lose it faster. Apparently not lol
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Did you really lie on your diary yesterday when it says you ate 1321 out of the 1470..? Is the rest of your diary like this too?? :)
  • rebaisett
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Have you stopped drinking today to see how you feel?

Can you try to eat some calorie dense foods to help reach your goal?

What, when and how did all this start.. Usually the opposite is true when people go on a deficit, the hunger and getting used to less calories goes through the roof?

Any medical conditions?

No I haven't slowed down on water yet today. No medical conditions. Started 2 weeks ago. I will definitely make an effort to slow down the water and eat. It's a mind thing with me I guess. I have no patience. When I want something I want it now lol. Obviously weight loss takes time. I know if I don't change my behaviors I will eventually gain it all back.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    you may want to try swapping out some of your diet/lowfat items (baked chips, yogurt) for the regular versions so you can eat the same volume and get more calories.

This works really well for me: eg. whole milk & real butter
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options

I think subconsciously I want to lose the weight faster so I figure hey drink more water, eat less and I will lose it faster. Apparently not lol

Aaaahhh we have an answer.. No water is not gonna do a thing but hydrate you and make you feel like you are floating if you drink too much of it.. do not have to drown yourself in water... LOL :)

Need to eat, the deficit is already there for you.. No need to make it more aggressive, no need to stress out about this.. the guess work has already been done for you....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

That's not a healthy mindset to get into, you know that
  • rebaisett
    Options

Did you really lie on your diary yesterday when it says you ate 1321 out of the 1470..? Is the rest of your diary like this too?? :)

Very embarrassed to say yes. I feel incredibly bad about it. It's disheartening. No just the last couple of days.
  • rebaisett
    Options

That's not a healthy mindset to get into, you know that

You are absolutely right.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Very embarrassed to say yes. I feel incredibly bad about it. It's disheartening. No just the last couple of days.

This made me smile.. sorry.. :):) but I understand.

You did not gain this over night, and its not gonna come off over night.. Take a breath and step back and relax. It will come off, and no need to make things worse or counter productive to the process! :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Don't feel bad! None of us were born knowing how to do this, we all learned by asking questions and sometimes changing what we were doing. Just focus on keeping an accurate diary going forward. You got this!
  • rebaisett
    Options

Looking at your diary I see a couple of issues: you're using some "homemade" and generic entries from the database, so it's possible you are eating more than you think you are. If you are confident those entries are correct, you may want to try swapping out some of your diet/lowfat items (baked chips, yogurt) for the regular versions so you can eat the same volume and get more calories.

Thank you!
  • rebaisett
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Believe me when I say that your comments have helped. I will absolutely take everything you said to heart!!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When we neglect to drink enough water we tend to decipher thirst as hunger and eat instead of drink. ( for those who need ten miles of fine print: This may not be true for every man, woman, child, and creature in every corner of the whole wide world. It is true for some. If it is not true for you or anyone you know feel free to keep moving!) Anyhoo, when we get back to drinking the water we need it can dampen the appetite. Now, the "recommended" water intake comes from food and any beverages you drink. The recommended intake varies between people. You activity level, how much you weigh and other factors determine your hydration needs. It seems there was a formula somewhere for determining this but I don't have it at my immediate disposal. If I can dig it up I will post it.

Now about your diet. What changes did you make? I find that the more carbohydrates I have the hungrier I am, the less carbohydrates I have the less hungry I am. They drive my appetite depending on my intake. Just a thought in case it applies.

As far as do I have to force myself to eat some days? Yep. Yesterday was one of those days. Sometimes my appetite just vanishes and the sight of food just repulses me. If I am stressed or have any emotional thing going on I will lose my appetite also. There are emotional eaters or stress eaters, I am the opposite. I find it difficult to advise force feeding. I don't think it helps me at all. I hope you can get to the bottom of it though.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Rebaisett, for periods I have had really low daily food intake. Weight dropped fast, tought stuff is starting eat more, the stomach has difficulties, notbeing used to process food for a while.

I understand you idea that eating little makes weight loss faster, but please watch out. It back fires. Make sure that not only the calories are within your range but alse that the quantity of food is sufficient to keep your stomach working well