Good scanning questions

Options
When I scan my New York strip steak ribeye 16 ounces it says said that it was going to be 309 calories but when I Googled is 535 cal which one is correct?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Maybe one, maybe both, maybe neither. My guess is the 309 is for the raw weight of the steak and the 535 is for the cooked.
  • zahra59
    zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good question when I scanned it it was raw in the package
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I checked in the MFP database (usda strip steak) and it comes back as 872 calories. Could it be that either if the values you looked up are for different portion sizes?
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you're scanning, double check that steak against what it reads on the package. If it lines up, forget what Google says. And, obviously, different portion sizes offer up different calories.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    saphin wrote: »
    Could it be that either if the values you looked up are for different portion sizes?

I think this is it. I suspect the scanned result was for a four ounce serving. When I search for "rib eye raw usda" I get 291 calories for 100 g, which would be 309 calories for 4 ounces (112 g), very close to your scanned number.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I would bet that the generic meat labels put on by groceries don't do the math for you on the actual portion size. The barcode probably takes you to the entry for the item and the generic portion size. There's also the raw vs. cooked question.