Sodium

Options
Also how much sodium do you guys intake each day.I try not to go over the recommened 2500 mg but it seems like I always go over anywhere from 500 to 1,000 mg is that bad if I am excercising and drinking lots of water.I just don't want to mess up my whole weight loss plan thus far.

Replies

• awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Also how much sodium do you guys intake each day.I try not to go over the recommened 2500 mg but it seems like I always go over anywhere from 500 to 1,000 mg is that bad if I am excercising and drinking lots of water.I just don't want to mess up my whole weight loss plan thus far.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The only thing it will mess with is water weight. You might gain or lose water weight based on how much salt you eat...but I wouldn't worry too much about it because sodium intake WILL NOT effect your FAT loss!!! Losing water weight may makeyou FEEL better (seeing numbers move)...but fat loss is what really counts!!!

Just drink yoru water (and extra when you go over on sodium)! And keep up the good work!!! :drinker:
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question to this not long ago and was told that it would make me retain some water, but it's not really a huge deal unless you have blood pressure problems.

That being said, last week I decided to focus on lowering my sodium intake. I, too, was always going over by around 1000 (darn Subway sandwiches). So, after almost an entire week of going under my sodium, I dropped four pounds. I'm sure a lot of that was water weight.
  • awestfall
    Options
    Thanks guys for the help !! So I guess as long as I am drinking enough water and exercising I should be fine right?I have tried to keep it around 2500mg this week .So do stay around 2500mg or less than that?My mom is an RN and she says you need at least 2000mg to 2500mg for your body to function correctly.She said it wouldn't be good if your sodium levels drop down to low.I guess she would know .I hope!! LOL
  • MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Despite the bad press sodium often gets, it is essential to life, and you do need some every day. Sodium is necessary:

to maintain the proper fluid balance in your body
    to regulate blood pressure
    to transmit nerve impulses
    to help muscles, including the heart, relax
    About 500mg of sodium a day is considered the least you need. That's 1/4 teaspoon of table salt. There is no official recommended daily intake for sodium. However, healthy individuals are advised to limit sodium intake to 2,400mg, and that figure is used for determining the percent daily value for sodium on food labels.

FACT: Most people's bodies get rid of excess sodium in their diet. However, some people must follow a low-sodium diet because they are sensitive to sodium and too much can lead to high blood pressure.

Consult with your physician for clarification about the advice you got. What is meant by serving? Is it one meal, or one food? If every serving of food you ate contained 400 mg. of sodium, by the end of the day you could be well over the recommended amount of sodium for a healthy individual, yet you would have still followed the advice. If 500mg per meal was meant, you would get 1,500mg a day, which would be far more healthy.

I would try to limit myself to eating below the 2500 mg of sodium. It definately causes you to retain water, and yes drinking more and exercising would help you in eliminating some of the excess sodium you are consuming, it is only kind of like putting a bandaid on the situation. We need sodium to function but too much isn't good for your body either. They actually recommend that you eat only max 2300 mg of sodium these days. So do your best to try to cut down. What are you eating? There is a lot of sodium in processed foods, maybe you can try to get some more "clean" foods in your day.

I hope this helps! With this being said, some people don't monitor their sodium- and in their dieting they do ok. I am all about the sodium watch, only because I retain fluid in mass quantity!!!!

Good luck! :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • awestfall
    Options
    Yes I retain water very easily too so thats why I am trying to watch my intake and thanks for the advice.