liver shrinking diet

dsides77
dsides77 Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi everyone, this is my 2nd wk on the liver shrinking diet. My surgeon will only allow his patients to do strictly liquids on the liver shrinking diet. I don't feel like I am consuming enough calories daily. I drink chicken noodle broth no noodles, sugar free jello, I was drinking the protein shakes for two days last week but the oh yeah brand didn't have a good taste. I am eating 2 Greek 100 calorie yogurts a day, diet Snapple and crystal light in my water, which I have done for 10 days now and only lost 1lb. My bariatric doctor thinks I am retaining fluid since I am not eating. My concern is will my liver shrink if I am not loosing much weight. I lost more weight before I started the liquid shrinking diet than I have while on it. I just started making my own whey protein shakes for two days now, but I am only drinking 1-2 shakes since I started making them two days ago. My surgery is in 5 days and I am so worried my liver has not shrunk.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    If there is ever a time to follow instructions precisely, now is the time. The diet is intended to deplete the glycogen reserves in your liver, shrinking it. This gives the surgeon safe room in your abdomen to do the surgery.

You are not eating sufficient calories daily, and you will be weak. This is temporary and expected.

Don't bother weighing yourself. This is more about the liver and safety than temporary weight loss or gain.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Have faith and your blood work and medical imaging tests will tell you the results in due time. Good luck to you and follow through on your medical instructions for best results.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,048 Member
    100% absolutely a question for your doctor.
  • dsides77
    dsides77 Posts: 2 Member
    I asked my bariatric doctor today and she said the key to shrinking your liver is to cut out sugars, carbs, etc in your diet and not loosing weight doesn't mean my liver did not shrink, but she told me to up my protein shakes to two a day. I still don't feel like she gave me a straight forward answer. But whatever, it's just my anxiety, I will be fine
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,048 Member
    Trust the system.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    dsides77 wrote: »
    I asked my bariatric doctor today and she said the key to shrinking your liver is to cut out sugars, carbs, etc in your diet and not loosing weight doesn't mean my liver did not shrink, but she told me to up my protein shakes to two a day. I still don't feel like she gave me a straight forward answer. But whatever, it's just my anxiety, I will be fine

Your doctor is treating you with a protocol that has been shown to give the desired results. Don't lose faith just keep up what you are doing. Good luck to you and I wish you a successful surgery.
  • countrygrace77
    countrygrace77 Posts: 7 Member
    dsides77 wrote: »

I was told that the liver shed fat before the body sheds fat.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Listen to your doctor. Sorry, you're probably hungry.