Rate of progress (SL5x5)

Options
Hi folks,

I'm enjoying SL5x5, and making steady progress. I've not hit a limit yet, but my current weights are still relatively low (SQ 45Kg, OP 30Kg, BP 32.5Kg, BBR 42.5Kg, DL 60Kg).

What I'd find interesting is to hear where others hit their limits, how long they were there, and how they eventually progressed. I'm finding big improvements in strength, and I'm very motivated. If anything, a bit frustrated as it's taking time to work up from the bare bar to decent weights. As I'd class myself as a beginner to lifting (male, 6', 82Kgish) I'd be especially interested in hearing from other males of about my size, to hear how far they got before failing and having to repeat or even deload.

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm female, early 40's. I've picked up SL to get back into it after about a year of running and no lifting. Previously, I had gotten to the point where I needed an intermediate routine, but was still basically a beginner.

First time around, I started to fail reps (mostly form fails) at:
    squat: 90lb
    bench: 65lb
    OHP: 45lb
    dead: never did fail, got up to 150lb before switching to a different program without standard deadlifts
    row: 60lb

First time around, by the time I switched to intermediate program:
    squat: 120lb
    bench: 85lb
    OHP: 60lb
    dead: never did fail, got up to 150lb before switching to a different program without standard deadlifts
    row: 80lb

This time around, it looks like my eventual switch over point may end up being at higher weights. I just 'failed' squat - decided I didn't like the way they felt last time and want to repeat before increasing. I've failed everything except rows at least once. I fail OHP every time the weight increases. Just can't do a 5lb increase and never have been able to manage it.
    current squat: 110lb
    current bench: 75lb
    current OHP: 45lb (just deloaded from 55lb)
    current dead: 175lb
    current row: 75lb
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine you'll be be good up to close to ~300 squat, ~200 BP, ~130 OHP/Row, 350+ DL assuming you eat food. arbitrary numbers but pretty easy to get to at your height and weight. These are in freedom units, not kg.
  • LazSommer
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Also note that failing isn't an issue if you're at a lower weight than you'd like. Programs call for usually 2-3 failures before a deload - personally I think you can tell if it's a critical failure on the first failure. if it is I normally finish the workout with a lighter set and do an immediate softer deload instead of wasting 3 workouts wondering if I should deload yet. Expect this first on OHP.

Don't be afraid to drop to 3x5 if you know you can add 5lb each workout with the reduced sets.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    OP: All you generally hear about from people (usually men) in the context of lifting is wanting and trying to lift heavier and heavier weight but, unless you want to be a competitive lifter, this isn't necessarily a good (or the right) thing to do.

No matter how hard you train, you will eventually reach a plateau based on your gender, body weight, age and genetics and, if you try to lift weights beyond these limits, you will face a diminishing rate of return and an increasing risk of injury.

I believe that I am very close to my personal limits and I am about ready to cut back on any effort to lift much more in order to avoid injuries that I have suffered before.

I am 66, 5'8" and currently weigh 170#. Here are my actual (not estimated) current 1RM numbers:

SQT 225
    DL 300
    OHP 110
    BP 190

Based on the Killustrated Strength Charts (Goggle it), I am in the "Advanced" strength catrgory for all of these lifts (and near "Elite" in a couple) for men of my age and weight.

Of course, these numbers pale in comparison to those put out by younger and larger men (particlarly competitive lifters) but it is pretty much the best I can do.

At my age, I no longer feel a need to prove anything to anyone and I am more than satisfied with the state of my strength and fitness. So, I have no problem NOT trying to lift much heavier and just maintaining my strength and fitness at or near the current level for as long as as I can, despite the predictable ravages of age to come.

However, I know from experience, that it will be difficult for younger men to accept such limitations. Let me just say that, if you start to experience frequent or recurrent injury as a result of lifting, please pause to consider whether it is time to stop trying to lift more weight or not, in order to avoid the risk of further injury.

Just a word of advice from an old but relatively strong man, who has been there and done that.

Good luck!

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm not your demographic so i won't bother you with numbers.

just thought i'd mention that when i hit a real limit, around 18 months in with time off for several detours, i switched programmes. tinkering around with sl on my own got me through the first year, then i found a trainer i liked and did 3x5 with him for about another 8 months. and then about six months ago i staged a strike during my bench press workout and we switched me to wendler 5/3/1 instead. that's even slower in terms of cold numbers, but it's got other fun built into it which i enjoy just as much. so there's options.

in my case, the sets-across intro programmes kept me happy for a pretty long time because i don't mind playing around in the sandbox piggling daisies. i'd go to a point, decide it was time to re-tinker my form or drop a machine on my foot, back down and start chugging upwards again. different temperaments and probably different reasons to lift, but i thought i would mention the notion that sl isn't meant to be with you for life. nothing wrong with that if it is, of course.
  • michaelroberts90475
    Options
    Just started working out this year with never really working out prior. 34 yo male, 6ft 2in, 190 lb. Started SL about 4.5 months ago with no weight on the bar after starting a weight loss comp. Recent weights were sq 205, dl 245, bench 145, row 140. OH press I failed twice at 115, just couldn't finish the 5 reps. Last time at gym deloaded sq, dl, and ohp by roughly 10% after taking about 1.5 wks off after feeling a slight pinch in knee, no real pain. Called it quits as soon as I felt it, wasn't worth it to me to push through it. Hope this helps
  • LazSommer
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: All you generally hear about from people (usually men) in the context of lifting is wanting and trying to lift heavier and heavier weight but, unless you want to be a competitive lifter, this isn't necessarily a good (or the right) thing to do.

No matter how hard you train, you will eventually reach a plateau based on your gender, body weight, age and genetics and, if you try to lift weights beyond these limits, you will face a diminishing rate of return and an increasing risk of injury.

I believe that I am very close to my personal limits and I am about ready to cut back on any effort to lift much more in order to avoid injuries that I have suffered before.

I am 66, 5'8" and currently weigh 170#. Here are my actual (not estimated) current 1RM numbers:

SQT 225
    DL 300
    OHP 110
    BP 190

Based on the Killustrated Strength Charts (Goggle it), I am in the "Advanced" strength catrgory for all of these lifts (and near "Elite" in a couple) for men of my age and weight.

Of course, these numbers pale in comparison to those put out by younger and larger men (particlarly competitive lifters) but it is pretty much the best I can do.

At my age, I no longer feel a need to prove anything to anyone and I am more than satisfied with the state of my strength and fitness. So, I have no problem NOT trying to lift much heavier and just maintaining my strength and fitness at or near the current level for as long as as I can, despite the predictable ravages of age to come.

However, I know from experience, that it will be difficult for younger men to accept such limitations. Let me just say that, if you start to experience frequent or recurrent injury as a result of lifting, please pause to consider whether it is time to stop trying to lift more weight or not, in order to avoid the risk of further injury.

Just a word of advice from an old but relatively strong man, who has been there and done that.

Good luck!

While this is good advice, lifting is no more dangerous than any other sport. Wanting to lift heavier weights is not always an issue of ego - for some it's a hobby that you can set goals with. These goals are fitness related and can give lifelong benefits and enjoyment.

You mention genetic limits - at 66 I believe you know yours, but many don't. There's nothing wrong with pushing yourself to improve within reason.
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - some useful info here. I guess I'm getting a bit impatient as I work my way up the weights. Probably because I know I can go heavier. That said, keeping the weights as per the plan means I can keep an eye on my form too. I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement there, so best doing that before the weight becomes significant....