Are your taste buds changing ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No. I eat the same kind of food just different portion sizes.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My taste buds have definitely changed over the past 2 years of losing weight. The heavy meals I used to prepare and eat just grosses me out now. Even my beloved pizza tastes way to salty to enjoy. I'm much happier with the food I'm eating now and was also able to resolve some medical issues with a change in diet, so win-win for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kitkatlp wrote: »
    I suppose it's because I eat much more subtle food (no added salt, no added sugar, lots of whole food, uncooked vegetables, etc.).

I ate mostly whole foods (well, cooked by me), not much added sugar, lots of vegetables before, so not really. I did use more oil or butter than I do now, but I think my food is as flavorful as it was. Rather than changing my tastes, I've just been conscious about avoiding unnecessary calories and mindless eating (for example, I don't care about rice, but would have it because it was expected and eat more than a serving because it was there and I misjudged how much to make; I love pasta, but am happy with a serving and no (or a small amount) of cheese with the protein and veg, but would make more than needed and eat that because it was there, usually with plenty of cheese; I'd eat foods I don't even like that much at work because they were there, or bread on the table of a restaurant or some such).

I suppose it made the process easier that I already really enjoyed cooking and foods like vegetables (I love focusing on seasonable vegetables when possible too). (I do want my food to be really delicious and flavorful, though, and while I like raw veg, I see no reason why cooked would be less good -- I eat both.) I also still add salt when cooking.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I thought my tastes have changed per less cravings but with more thinking that's not really the case.

IMO, judging this change on cravings is rather a poor basis!

I still love pizza, burgers and they unquestionably taste much better than they did in the past, but I no longer crave for them uncontrollably. I absolutely can skip them if I feel I need to control my weight.

I think what changed for me my eating behavior has become much more sophisticated and effective. Foods are much more rewarding all the while I can manage my weight and energy level well.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I still enjoy my chips and ice cream in moderation almost daily. But fast food, average restaurant food, store-bought desserts--they are all major disappointments to me now. They just don't taste as good as they used to and it's no longer worth spending my calories on them. I've gotten used to eating higher-quality, freshly prepared food, and it's what my taste buds and body have come to expect.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It's amazing how much we cover up the actual taste of wholesome food with salt and sugar etc. Occasionally I will have a small portion of something if I have a craving, but it never really tastes as good as I've made it out to be in my head while I'm lusting for it.
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love all of the same foods just as much as I always have. I just eat them in moderation now.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    It was the change in diet to whole foods with lots of vegetables and less salt, sugar and sauces that I found unsustainable. I went back to my previous way of eating and just reduced my portions (especially of the sauces) and I'm having success now. So no, my tastes haven't changed.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What has changed is my lovely boyfriend is such a good cook that going to a restaurant is always a let down
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My tastebuds have changed. I use to really enjoy a sweet snack. But now, things taste way too sweet to me. I really pick and choose my treats. Which turns out to be a good thing! :)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I haven't craved cheese at all. It's weird because I used to be the biggest cheese lover around and loved putting cheese on everything.

Now I sometimes eat stuff with plant based cheese on it (like a couple times a month), but I don't even crave that stuff even though I like the taste of it.

Also, I don't miss eating any candy... I'll sometimes eat a bite of licorice or some chocolate, but I used to wanna eat candy all the time too in the past.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I discovered I don't like Canadian potato chips anymore. Too salty! And that's from someone who likes her salt. :)

Blasphemy! I'd offer to take your share of the potato chips, but it's never really been my weakness.

OP, I learned to drink tea without milk or sugar, whereas I couldn't stomach it without those things before. Although I still enjoy it when I do add them, I just found that calorie-wise, it wasn't worth it for me anymore. I do enjoy fish now, where I never used to, but I have to make sauces for it. I'm not sure if that is something that changed with aging in general though, because it happened years ago and unrelated to dieting. I think our food preferences can change with time, depending on what you consume.
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options
    Completely. I used to snack a lot, on sweet stuff and high fat content stuff.
    I recalled, one day, walking home and feeling peckish, and realising that my cravings were not for sweet stuff, or fatty stuff. I fancied some chicken breast, maybe a small portion of pasta and pesto. I started thinking about my tastebuds, and tried picturing some of those snacks I used to eat, and had no emotive response at all.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    My tastes have not changed. I can even say that holding to long-term denial diets didn't change my tastes either. I still like a very wide variety of food. I work with this by making sure I meet my nutritional goals as early as possible in the day, leaving me free to enjoy the rest of my calories however I wish.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm more aware of food that has added salt or sugar. If I eat a sugary dessert I literally start to giggle while eating it. I had an eton mess a couple weeks ago (broken up meringue, whipped cream, strawberries, all mixed together) and reeeeeeeeeeeeally enjoyed it.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Kind of.
    I now enjoy eating healthy foods, I love veg and fresh, homecooked foods.
    But, I absolutely still love "bad" foods. I still dream about churros, cakes, biscuits, cheesy snacks.
    I was hoping I'd be able to train myself not to crave or love these processed and sugary foods, but nope. So I guess my tastes have just widened as opposed to shifted.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The only difference for me is that I'm way more sensitive to sodium now.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's just part of the aging process? When I was younger I could not stand plain black coffee (which my parents drank every day) or unsweetened seltzer/soda water... Now they're not so bad.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    Options
    Oh, they totally change. I eat food with way less salt now. A coworker baked the other day and I had the calories left so I had one of her cookies and it was almost too sweet.
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I wonder if it's just part of the aging process? When I was younger I could not stand plain black coffee (which my parents drank every day) or unsweetened seltzer/soda water... Now they're not so bad.

I guess there's an element of that too. For some reason, I don't eat much red meat these days because I just don't feel like it...(well, the problem is that I do need the iron though!) But that was a process that started a long time before getting into a healthier lifestyle. ;)