Other people's perceptions

Options
I lost 2.5 stone from Jan-may this year. I haven't lost anything since May (which is fine - I haven't been focussing), and have been doing weights at the gym maybe 1-2 times a week for 20min, which is not much at all. But people think I'm still losing weight! They keep commenting that I've lost more, but I haven't! And my clothes aren't getting looser so it's not that I'm getting smaller. What is up with their perceptions - is it just that it takes so long to override their previous ideas of my size? Has anyone else found this?! (I'm not complaining, mind!)

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    It may be partly their brains catching up to what they're seeing. It may also be that they now feel comfortable commenting. They might not have wanted to say anything at first in case the loss wasn't permanent.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've actually put a few kilos back on and people keep saying that I've lost more weight. It's odd.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    That is not a bad thing. Maybe in their eyes you look better than how you think of yourself. People think how people think. Take the good with the bad.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Lucky you! :D hehe!
    You obviously look fantastic! Keep rocking it!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have people I see several times a week who ask me every time "you still losing? You look it." or "What are you down to now?" I'm like "...Since two days ago!?"

It's aggravating sometimes, but they're being nice. I bite my tongue.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    It may be partly their brains catching up to what they're seeing.

I think its this! They might not be sure for a while that weight loss is happening, at some point it becomes a certainty and they commment.

Congratulations on your weight loss! :)

• YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I had this happen recently where someone I hadn't seen for three months said I looked slimmer. I had gained 15 pounds. Just say thank you and ignore it. Either they don't have a good enough eye to accurately evaluate your weight (who does?) or they're trying to be polite/nice and give you a compliment.

You're not losing weight for them, you're doing it for you. I treat those comments the same way I treat insults: Let it roll off you and move on.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    The clothes you wear can also make a difference in people's perceptions. I have a couple of tops that apparently make me appear thinner than I am, and those are the days I get complements on my weight loss, even if I haven't lost anything in a while, or even gained :-)
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Maybe with the regular weight sessions you have lost abit of fat and added abit of muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat
  • mph323
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    Maybe with the regular weight sessions you have lost abit of fat and added abit of muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat

No, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Muscle is more compact than fat and takes up less space so it does appear to weigh more - common misperception :-)
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

No, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Muscle is more compact than fat and takes up less space so it does appear to weigh more - common misperception :-)

????? Exactly.

So if he is lost some fat and added some muscle he may weigh a couple pound more.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

@mph323 I think the concise way of saying it is that muscle is more dense than fat.

@chapiano It is highly improbable that they achieved both as they are mutually exclusive.
  • mph323
    Options

@mph323 I think the concise way of saying it is that muscle is more dense than fat.

@chapiano It is highly improbable that they achieved both as they are mutually exclusive.

I agree, dense is really the right word. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight in close to a year and only a couple of inches in that time. I still get the "have you lost weight" comments. I think often it's just the outfit I'm wearing. Or someone that doesn't see me often and forgets that I was this size last time they saw me.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I've asked my hairdresser if she's lost weight the last three times I've seen her, and apart from the first time, her answer has always been no. It's partially that I've known her for years, so my brain still remembers her a little bit heavier and I'm still always a little bit surprised to see her at her current weight. It's also that she's generally in a better place in her life at the moment, so she's carrying herself differently and projecting more confidence/lightness. Our perceptions are influenced by a lot of factors, and actual physical appearance is pretty far down on the list. 
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well! I lost 40 lb then took a break in the summer, and was still receiving compliments "You just keep getting skinnier!" when I was actually maintining my weight for a couple of months. I gladly accept all compliments though and even though I knew I wasn't losing, it was still nice to hear those things. Now that I am back at calorie counting, I hear compliments on my weight loss every single day. I'm not gonna lie, I love it and it helps out so much.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I keep expecting people I haven't seen in a while to say "ooo you've lost weight" and get really disappointed when they don't. Then that starts me off thinking maybe I don't look like I have lost weight, but then I look at myself in the mirror and smaller clothes are fitting me and I know as long as I know I've lost weight and like how I look that's all that matters.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Why do people get so pedantic about this? Given equal volumes of fat and muscle, the muscle will weigh more because it has the higher density. Usually the context is "I'm heavier at the same size" or "I'm smaller at the same weight" so it's a perfectly reasonable way to communicate the "muscle is denser" concept.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    Options
    Sometimes it's that you've lost inches or that they're seeing you in clothes that used to be really tight on you. They remember you like that and now you're either swimming in them or maybe they fit properly. Maybe you carry yourself a little differently too. That might impact how they see you.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Yes, we know...and gold doesn't weigh more than feathers, yada yada yada...it's just more dense but we all understood the point @_@ anyhoo, I'm betting on unintended body recomping.