Maintenance with Overweight Spouse

Options
13»

Replies

• clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My SO would complain that I would never eat the same foods with him. So we had a date night and I planned my calories for the dinner. Afterwards, while he was at work, he insisted that I eat the left-overs if I loved him. I politely told him, why am I supposed to eat food to show you my love when you are at work? He would also make nasty comments about every new piece of clothing I bought from the thrift store. He would complain about how I had changed.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    During my marriage, I got fat and my ex-husband got even fatter (he tipped the scale at 350, me at 280). It was getting out of control and I knew something had to be done. We started a weight loss program and he lost about 20 pounds before he started going back to old habits and sneaking Burger King and pizza while he was out of the house. It upset me because I was trying so hard to lose weight and he seemed to just not care.

That's when I realized that I needed to do whatever it took to stay with own program and complete my own goals; I could not make him do anything that he didn't want to do. He had to be the one to either stick with the program or not.

Basically, you do what you have to do. Up your will-power and stay on your goals.

Edited for typo.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    We have found reasonably healthy meals and snacks that we both like. He might eat a larger portion of them than I do, though; I'll measure out mine, while he eats as much as he likes. Sometimes when he wants a snack that I don't want, I'll make tea or something like that instead so that we're still able to enjoy something together. He likes to get fast food by himself sometimes, which I didn't want in the first place (I'm vegetarian, he isn't, so there isn't a lot of fast food I would want anyway). And once in a while if he would really like to go out for a big meal, we plan for it and I budget my calories accordingly. I think there's a lot to be said for the social benefits of sharing food, but that doesn't mean you have to eat everything he eats or as much of it as he eats.