Gym - not loosing weight

Options
Ok
So I've only used the gym twice so far but wanted to ask anyway
I've done 2 hours each day for the last 2 days
I use the treadmill, bikes, strider for the majority and then lift and tone for around 15 mins.
So it's weigh day and I've maintained weight this week rather than lose anything.
My diet is 50% fat, 35% protien and 15% carb. So low carb but not keto. For the last 7 weeks this diet has lost me in total of 1st 11lb.

Is it usual to not lose weight when going to the gym?
I really want another stone off before my wedding at the end of October.

Replies

• Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Don't panic if your weight stays the same or even goes up for one or two weeks.
    If your weight does not go down for more than three weeks, slightly reduce calories.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks xx
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I know for me, and most others, after beginning a lifting program your weight can go up. This will come in the form of water weight. It is said that your muscles will retain water to help with the repair progress so staying the same weight as you lose fat is very common. Patience.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    People often see a gain or maintain when starting a new exercise regime. It's often due to retained water and will subside soon enough.

Just to add, 2 hours a day a lot of gym work. If you're planning on continuing at that level of intensity (I wouldn't personally but it's your life/time) then ensure you schedule enough rest days.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    2 hours in the gym for 2 straight days is quite a lot of exercise.. I am actually surprised that the weight on the scale is not up a pound or two..

Just a word of advice, this amount of exercise is not necessary for weight loss or even your over all health benefits for that matter.. So do not burn yourself out or put your self into a injury situation by doing so much, so fast.. Also personally, if you want to take the biggest advantage of the gym time, increase that weight lifting secession from 15 minutes to longer more structured program, and sprinkle in some cardio with that..
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    I've just done another 2 hours but not doing any more until Monday

From then on I'll be doing 2hrs three times a week (mon, wed, fri)

I just hope to see a drop

Today I did 40 mins treadmill
    25 mins Cross county strider
    35 cycling
    And the rest weights
    I'm enjoying the cardio a lot more than the weights
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The key is consistency, and being patient.
    Also, here's a great read, about the scale
    http://www.ontheregimen.com/2014/02/09/what-those-scale-weight-fluctuations-really-mean/
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Great read. Thanks!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    I've just done another 2 hours but not doing any more until Monday

From then on I'll be doing 2hrs three times a week (mon, wed, fri)

I just hope to see a drop

Today I did 40 mins treadmill
    25 mins Cross county strider
    35 cycling
    And the rest weights
    I'm enjoying the cardio a lot more than the weights

Good job on the cardio!

You can lose more weight by October, but shooting for an entire stone (that's 14 pounds for us pounders and 6.35kg's for us metrics) is going to take a bit more time than one month. Best and most realistic goal to shoot for is to lose another 1-2 pounds per week. As you are doing, continue to use cardio to boost the amount of calories you are burning, and then dial in the other side of the CICO equation (calories in vs. calories out) to make sure you are still in a daily deficit to help you move closer to your October goal for the wedding. The weights you are doing will help mitigate the muscle loss during the process.

Do you have a chance to get longer cardio sessions in on the weekends? Something in the 2 - 4 hour range on Saturday and again on Sunday? That's how we endurance athletes shave weight in the off season as you can easily score a 1500 - 2500+ calorie burn for that duration of cardio on the bike or running. Add that to your weekends, and use Monday as a rest day to ramp up the fat burn as you chip away at that "stone".

Maintain that daily deficit. Count your calories with a brutally honest mantra.

Here's my typical off-season weight shed of a "stone" using long cardio on weekends, and shorter durations as well as weights during the week...

25440828254_f0dc7d6d47_b.jpg

By off-season, I mean the season of riding bikes where I am not doing amateur racing (April to October). So November to March is my off-season which typically includes as much as an 8% weight gain (one stone for me) that starts in September/October before trimming it back off again during the first 3 months of the year.
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Unfortunately my gym is closed at weekends
    I could always do more when I go I guess

I just don't want to burn myself out and start hating going
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It's actually typical to gain weight after going to the gym for the first few times from added water retention in your muscles. Also you shouldn't judge your weightloss with the scale over just a few days or a week it's going to mess with your head from random variations in weight sue to lots of other factors having nothing to do with fat.
  • CorinnePina
    CorinnePina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I need help too.I have been exercising vigorously and still can't lose weight. In fact, I gained about 5 pounds since May. My BMR is 1,647 calories and I take in about 1,500-1700 /day and burn about 700 /day through exercising. I had it tested with the KORR testing device at my nutritionist. She suggested that I eat more or exercise less. My TDEE based on the KORR would be about 2,300-2,500 calories/day. But now I feel that if I eat more, I will even gain more weight. Or will this be temporarily till my metabolism adjust? How long will this process take?
    I feel so frustrated and confused.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I need help too.I have been exercising vigorously and still can't lose weight. In fact, I gained about 5 pounds since May. My BMR is 1,647 calories and I take in about 1,500-1700 /day and burn about 700 /day through exercising. I had it tested with the KORR testing device at my nutritionist. She suggested that I eat more or exercise less. My TDEE based on the KORR would be about 2,300-2,500 calories/day. But now I feel that if I eat more, I will even gain more weight. Or will this be temporarily till my metabolism adjust? How long will this process take?

If you're gaining weight, you aren't in a deficit. Increasing the energy you take in (eating more) will result in gaining more weight, not losing weight.

How are you measuring what you take in? Are you logging everything you eat? Are you measuring it with cups/spoons or with a food scale? Are you sure the database entries you are choosing are accurate? These are common errors that result in people sometimes eating more than they think.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Your nutritionist did not provide you any assistance to help you with this? Did not offer to look at your history, your current intake and exercise regime? Did this nutritionist tell you have metabolism issues?

If you are paying for this service, I would get another one.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    @bexilashious

It sounds like you go to a local gym. Do they offer a personal trainer for members? If so, utilize them! They'll help you get a workout schedule that will work for you. I have 130 lb to lose (I'm a 5'4 F), and my trainer set me up on this plan:
    *All exercises are 3 reps of 10-12 EXCEPT WHEN NOTED
    Light cardio = walking
    Moderate cardio = working up a sweat

Monday
    5-10 min light cardio
    Leg Press
    Leg Curl
    Leg Extensions
    Hip Adduction
    Hip Abduction
    10-15 min moderate cardio
    5 min light cardio

Tuesday
    30-60 min cardio

Wednesday
    5-10 min light cardio
    Chest Press
    Chest Fly (3 reps/15)
    Overhead Press
    Tricep Extensions (4 reps/10-15)
    Tricep Pull Down “rope”
    5 min light cardio

Thursday
    30-60 min cardio

Friday
    5-10 min light cardio
    Lat Pull Down
    Row
    Reverse Fly
    Hammer Curls (3 rep/10-15)
    Standing Curls (3 rep/12-15)
    5 min light cardio

Saturday
    30-60 min cardio

SUNDAY
    No workouts

I was having trouble doing my cardio, as I'm new to working out, but he said that I do as much as I can on one machine, then move do a different cardio machine. In one Cardio day, I take my dog for a walk 10-15 minutes. Then I head to the gym and stretch. I'd do 10 minutes on the elliptical (resistance at 2), 10 on the treadmill (incline 7.5 and speed around 3.4), 5-10 stationary bike, 5 minutes elliptical, then 3 minutes cooldown.

It sounds like doing hours each day with everything jammed in it is not doing you favors. I'd think that you'd do only a little cardio on weight/resistance training days, and just cardio on cardio days. That seems to work for me. I've lost 7 lb in the span of a week (while actively trying to lose only 2 lb per week).
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Yes they have a trainer but I'm not a member yet (I'm PAYG)
    But will be joining on payday
    They are very good even though I'm not a member. The assistant does boxing with me for 15 mins whilst I'm there.
    As soon as I get the membership I will ask to be trained

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    What I would do is weigh in after two days off, it'll help even out any water retention. For example, I work out Mon-Fri, and weigh in on Sundays because I don't work out on the weekend.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Get a bike or some good running shoes. Outside is always "open".
  • bexilashious
    Options

Get a bike or some good running shoes. Outside is always "open".

So very true
    I actually walk the dogs twice a week (ten miles up and down a mountain)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    2 days is not enough time to see any results. Try 2 months consistently and report back.