Constant running injuries

I'm getting really frustrated. About six years ago, I finally developed a love for something I dabbled in but never really enjoyed before: running. Now it seems like every few months, a new injury flares up (back, knee, IT band, foot, back again) and I have to take a break from running and focus on recovering whatever injury I have. I feel like I am going in circles. I warm up and cool down, do special strength training, foam roll, massage therapy, physio therapy, stretch, yoga and still. It's like my body is telling me that I just wasn't made to run. I'm thinking of taking a break from running altogether, but I also feel like I shouldn't have to. But this constant pain is getting to me. Anyone else go through something similar? What did you do?

Replies

• DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    It could be from many different things. Have you been to a specialty shoe store and got properly fitted for shoes? If so, too many miles too fast (intensity increase), or just running to hard and fast. People that I have helped in the past were running waaayyyyy to fast for their fitness levels, then getting hurt and starting all over again. I had IT band issues several years ago, and core training fixed that almost immediately.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    DennyHodge wrote: »
    It could be from many different things. Have you been to a specialty shoe store and got properly fitted for shoes? If so, too many miles too fast (intensity increase), or just running to hard and fast. People that I have helped in the past were running waaayyyyy to fast for their fitness levels, then getting hurt and starting all over again. I had IT band issues several years ago, and core training fixed that almost immediately.

I have had my gait/stride measured by a PT and was recommended a certain type of shoe, so I think I have that covered. And I thought I did enough core/glute training...but maybe I need to do more...? I don't think it's a matter of too much too soon since I have been running for six years, and I don't think it's too fast because the injuries come at all paces I run at.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I experienced similar including a tibial head stress fracture. Not sure of your age but I found as I got older the injury recovery times merged into one and I was constantly suffering form some sort of issue.

Age was a factor (not sure of your age but, based on your profile pic, I suspect i have a good few years on you at 48) but so was years of calorie deficits (with sporadic periods of poor eating and little exercise) to the point that I eventually gave up on running completely.

I was gutted - running was a love but I threw myself into calisthenics and later lifting. Weirdly, I am now able to run (at a much lower speed and distance than at my peak) without issue.

I'm sorry that my story can't offer more hope, maybe others can, but i provide it as a data-point for your investigations
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    What does your running schedule look like? My initial reaction is also to say that you are not allowing enough time for adequate recovery, but without knowing your schedule and history, it's hard to say. Also, as @StealthHealth pointed out, your diet can play a huge role in recovery as well.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    lporter229 wrote: »
    What does your running schedule look like? My initial reaction is also to say that you are not allowing enough time for adequate recovery, but without knowing your schedule and history, it's hard to say. Also, as @StealthHealth pointed out, your diet can play a huge role in recovery as well.

For the last 12 weeks I have been following the Run Less Run Faster plan as I was training for a 5 K. That involves one track repeat run, one tempo run and one long run each week. I never run two days in a row, I follow a strength training for runners program and don't lift heavy. I always follow my workout with some adequate fuel, usually a protein smoothie with fruit. Finally, I am just about to turn the big 3-0! So not a young pup anymore, but certainly not old.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I had a recurring knee injury. I would think I gave it time to heal and would run, then it would flare up, over and over. I finally just took like 9 months off running. That was right before I turned 30 also, lol. Now at 31 I'm back at it and doing great and loving it again! I'm just careful not to push myself too hard and really listen to my body and not run more than 2 days in a row, if that. Never have had any back issues though.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    @DennyHodge , he is spot on. Most injuries come from increasing either speed and or mileage too quick. That and core! Do not try to increase your distance by more than 10% a week, and only once you can comfortably maintain your current training for two weeks. Remember, let your body be your gauge not some race training schedule. I actually moved to a 9 day training schedule instead of a 7 day, gave 2 extra days off from runs. That has helped more than I ever thought possible. Now we are over half into the year and NO injuries (knock on wood). Slow down, enjoy it, it should not hurt! Remember your pace should be comfortable enough to hold a conversation. Then your "speed workout" days, are shorter but harder, so not much of conversation there, lol
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I have had my gait/stride measured by a PT and was recommended a certain type of shoe

When they watched you run, what things did they notice wrong with your form?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    If you have any weakness in your legs, glutes and calves when running this causes issues. Strength training and I do mean lifting heavy and entertaining cross training should help you improve when you are well again.. Take the full recovery time needed..

But know if you have had previous injuries, you are now prone to those injuries from here on out. So you may have to pick a distance that you can run and avoid injury. I would not incorporate any speed work until you have reached distance.. you can reach this as slow as you need to go to build up full fitness in not just heart, lungs and muscles, but all ligaments, tendons, all these have to be strong to take the beating you put on your body to run. This is not a low impact exercise by far..

I am now 48 (started running at 46) and I do have to take a little longer recovery days.. but I have had injuries from my shoes (I just took back Newton's that caused me 5th metatarsal problems) .. I have also had minor issues because I was either doing it wrong or my training was not suited to the goal I had at the moment.. I am lucky that taking 5 - 7 days and I ready to go again.

Now with back injuries, I am not skilled or have any back related issues and hopefully someone here has dealt with this.

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited September 2016
    In my opinion, you shouldn't be going from one injury to another. Having that happen is an indication of one or more causes that you are likely engaged in, whether you realize it or not...

1) Wrong shoes - Can happen even if you have been properly fitted. Even wearing the same brand shoe can have a different drop which can cause problems, if one is not used to the difference.

2) Trying to do too much too soon - A lot of times, those new to running have the tendency to try and run too often and or try to run too fast or too far for their fitness level, even though they feel good. One should not increase running mileage more than 10% a week (at the most) and the long distance run should not (as a general rule) compromise more than 35% of one's weekly mileage. Trying to do too much often occurs if one is trying to cross-train or do some kind of other exercise on non-running days, without the body being able to handle the new stress.

3) Bad running form can lead to overuse injuries.

4) Lack of proper rest and nutrition can lead one to exercise injury

5) Weak core running muscles - gluten, quads, hamstrings, abdominal muscles, hip flexors

6) Stretching before a run can ( and often does) lead to injury. It is better to start your run at a very slow jog and slowly increase your speed over the next several miles, than it is to engage your cold muscles in stretching (in my opinion).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

For the last 12 weeks I have been following the Run Less Run Faster plan as I was training for a 5 K. That involves one track repeat run, one tempo run and one long run each week. I never run two days in a row, I follow a strength training for runners program and don't lift heavy. I always follow my workout with some adequate fuel, usually a protein smoothie with fruit. Finally, I am just about to turn the big 3-0! So not a young pup anymore, but certainly not old.

Hmm. Prior to this, how much time have you spent doing base building, nothing but very, slow, easy miles? I am not trying to challenge a published training plan, but it seems to me that doing nothing but hard running (intervals, tempo and endurance) without any easy base miles to support it could be a problem. Do you take any cut back weeks where you take a break from the speed work and just do easy miles? This may sound contradictory to other advice, but you might want to think about adding an additional day of running a slow recovery run of three to four miles. Or every 3-4 weeks, ditch the speed work for a week. All of that high impact running can really take a toll.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    DennyHodge wrote: »

I have had my gait/stride measured by a PT and was recommended a certain type of shoe, so I think I have that covered. And I thought I did enough core/glute training...but maybe I need to do more...? I don't think it's a matter of too much too soon since I have been running for six years, and I don't think it's too fast because the injuries come at all paces I run at.
    Lifting heavy is good, not bad. You want to strengthen your running muscles and core muscles and lifting light weights isn't going to help you with that.

When was the last time you were fitted for shoes and had the model you are wearing recommended? Keep in mind that shoe manufacturers tweak shoe models every year. Sometimes they even change things like the heel drop and that can cause issues if you don't know it and don't compensate for it. It might be worth it to go through the process again or at least check on recommended models today.

You may have been running for 6 years but if you keep having to slow down or stop for injury then you need to step back your running when you are recovered. You can't take a couple of months off and then pick up right where you were again. That would be the very definition of "too much too soon."

You mentioned that you're only running every other day. What are you doing on the days between? If it's something else that's high impact you aren't giving your body the recovery time it needs. I've talked to more than one person who was doing something like the 30 Day Shred on the days between C25K and couldn't understand why they had shin splints and other problems. Make sure that between running days you're only doing low impact activities. Strength training is highly recommended. You could also walk, swim, bike, do yoga, etc.

Stick to running very slowly (conversational pace) for awhile. You want to be able to run injury and pain free so focus on just being able to run, not run fast. Conversational pace running makes recovery easier. Slowly increase distance over time. As others have mentioned, follow the 10% rule for increasing distance week over week.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Cherimoose wrote: »

When they watched you run, what things did they notice wrong with your form?

Slight overpronation, so they told me to start landing on the middle to the front of my foot (i.e. not my heel). I also started doing - and continue to do - exercises and stretches that help with my IT band issues, so that is under control. But then came plantar fasciitis, which I am almost getting over, but now it's the lower back pain. I was also told to get a racing shoe with less cushion, which almost seemed counter-intuitive, but they seem to be fine ( assuming they aren't what's causing the back pain).

Hmm. Prior to this, how much time have you spent doing base building, nothing but very, slow, easy miles? I am not trying to challenge a published training plan, but it seems to me that doing nothing but hard running (intervals, tempo and endurance) without any easy base miles to support it could be a problem. Do you take any cut back weeks where you take a break from the speed work and just do easy miles? This may sound contradictory to other advice, but you might want to think about adding an additional day of running a slow recovery run of three to four miles. Or every 3-4 weeks, ditch the speed work for a week. All of that high impact running can really take a toll.

I thought I had a good base, but the more I think about it, the more I think you guys might be right - maybe I did do too much too soon. I had never followed a program like that before, and while I did like it, perhaps the intensity of it is what caused my issues (even though they insist that this plan helps avoid injuries due to the different types of running and not recommending more than 3 runs/week.

I appreciate all of your advice and will definitely look into this more. You've encouraged me not to give up hope :smiley:
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    feet are important but too much emphasis is put on it. Do some research on hips, "if your hips are right, the rest will follow"
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Difficult to say without a lot more information.

Given that you're training for a 5K what's your weekly mileage and how is each of those sessions split up?

There are a whole range of potential causes, with potential for a combination of sources.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Just curious, are you in a deficit, maintaining, or gaining? I ask because if you are in a deficit the injuries could be from repeated muscle stress coupled with slight muscle loss along with fat loss. Although you aren't running every day, so unless you're going at some form of exercise 7 days a week I don't see it being an issue. Running though is simply hard on the body and joints. I have spinal stenosis, several old and recent bulging discs, and spinal degeneration (runs in the family) along with bad knees (from being over weight so many years most likely). I also have permanent nerve damage in my lower spine (from a severe burst disc years ago), it causes the muscles in my left leg and hip area to not function correctly even though it was repaired. Over the years other muscles have taken up the slack and developed stronger but it makes my muscles not work the same on both sides of my body. For me, over time it causes injuries unless I switch periodically to something else (like an elliptical). You mentioned back injuries that why I mentioned it. Every notice one side of your body being stronger than the other? I also can not currently run a 5k, I can jog part of it, but have to walk intermittently. I'm getting better but it's been a while since an injury has slowed me down so I'm likely due.

Hope you figure it out, I love walking/jogging as well, and it sucks when injuries slow you down. I wonder some days if I could find a dirt track or cross country trail that would be better to run/walk on instead of concrete/pavement/roads. I've also tried six different pairs of shoes in the last year, doesn't seem to matter a whole lot.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited September 2016
    As an old guy, I am something of a chronically injured expert.
    It is impossible for us here to diagnose you.
    But I do know that one injury can often lead to another injury, as you favor one body part and compensate with the other. It throws you off. It puts undue stress on body parts that shouldn't have undue stress.
    My brother and I used to refer to it as the "migrating injury," because there was always something, and as soon as that heals, there is something else.
    That said, I think we can go through periods of lots of injury sometimes. But, you cut back a little bit, you learn to adjust, and, one day, the injuries go away and you are through that bad patch.
    Don't assume that just because you have had a sequence of injuries that you will always have injuries. Maybe you are just in the bad patch.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    most of the time this is caused by doing too much too fast, and in particular too fast a pace too fast.

Heart and lungs can improve rather quickly, and even muscles develop fairly quickly, but bones, joints, tendons, etc. take much longer to develop.

So you think your ready to go faster and harder because your heart and your breathing feels good, and your muscles feel strong, but your bones, joints, and tendons, etc. aren't quite there yet.

This usually results in injuries.

My advice would be to get many many miles at a very slow pace, and gradually work your way up over months and even a year. Also develop a good running style like a mid foot strike. In addition get a real good pair of running shoes with good cushioning if you run on hard surfaces. Also remember that the cushioning material on most running shoes wears out between 300 to 500 miles, so keep track of how many miles you are putting on them so you know when to replace them.

I think a lot of people who train for marathons jog at a slow pace for much further than the actual marathon, and pick up the pace only in the last few miles or so. By the time they are ready for the marathon, its a piece of cake distance wise.
  • rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    If your biomechanics have been checked (by someone propeely trained like an msk podiatrist, nit just a shop assistant ) and you've changed your shoes accordingly then it's a matter of training error or running style. Maybe you need to get a running coach to check these if you've addressed everything else.