Peanut butter lovers, help me out!

Options
I have a very strong addiction to peanut butter. To the point that I literally will stick a spoon into a jar and just eat plain peanut butter as a snack. However, I'm constantly going over on my fat goals for the day due to this obsession of mine. So I was wondering if anyone had any healthy substitutes for peanut butter that I could try? I love the taste and how full it makes me, but the high amount of fat is becoming detrimental!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's only detrimental if you are going over your calorie goals and/or it is keeping you from hitting other macro or micro goals.

You could try PB2 for the taste and calorie reduction.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, peanut butter is my downfall. If I could stick to a serving size I would keep it around, but i can't so I don't. I do use PB2 on occasion. I will sometimes add it to a protein shake or my ezekiel bread french toast. Sometimes I will use it in a stir fry, like peanut chicken. I find I'm less likely to go crazy with the PB2 if I use it in more of an asian/thai dinner type meal than something sweet. Or else I could probably eat a jar of PB2 too.
  • spring831
    spring831 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Going over your fat goal is not that problematic. I would be more concerned if it was causing a problem going over your carb goal. :-)
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't keep jars of peanut butter in the house, but I do use PB2 to add a peanut butter flavour to smoothies and other stuff. It satisfies that craving for me.

I haven't tried a lot of different powdered peanut butter brands, but I think @arditarose might have some other good brand suggestions!
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm currently hooked on 2 tbsp of PB2 + 1 tbsp. of Quest chocolate protein powder = 100 calories. It aint Nutella, but it will do. On a pancake, this is my breakfast of choice
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about going over in fat - particularly if it's from nuts.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't keep jars of peanut butter in the house, but I do use PB2 to add a peanut butter flavour to smoothies and other stuff. It satisfies that craving for me.

I haven't tried a lot of different powdered peanut butter brands, but I think @arditarose might have some other good brand suggestions!

Just Great Stuff is the best I've tried. I had a friend on here try it and compare it to PB2. She didn't think there was a big difference but I do. I actually won't even buy PB2 anymore. At least PB&CO is better than PB2.

And TruNut is the worst.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Oh PB is one of my downfalls. Last night I was ready to have some. I got out the tbsp, opened the jar, then looked at the calories for just ONE tbsp. 190 cals!!! Hell no lol. I put the spoon and PB away and ate a piece of cheese. I'm so disappointed. I just love, love, love PB.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh PB is one of my downfalls. Last night I was ready to have some. I got out the tbsp, opened the jar, then looked at the calories for just ONE tbsp. 190 cals!!! Hell no lol. I put the spoon and PB away and ate a piece of cheese. I'm so disappointed. I just love, love, love PB.

Yeah, wait until you actually weigh that tablespoon on a food scale. It's nothing.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    spring831 wrote: »
    Going over your fat goal is not that problematic. I would be more concerned if it was causing a problem going over your carb goal. :-)
    Is there a reason why?

I generally see no problem (I tend to have 2-3 servings on a sandwich sometimes) unless that peanut butter is making you go over your calories. Just make sure to weigh it as it is very calorie-dense and easy to overestimate 1TBS.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a very strong addiction to peanut butter. To the point that I literally will stick a spoon into a jar and just eat plain peanut butter as a snack. However, I'm constantly going over on my fat goals for the day due to this obsession of mine. So I was wondering if anyone had any healthy substitutes for peanut butter that I could try? I love the taste and how full it makes me, but the high amount of fat is becoming detrimental!

I think many, many people can relate to the bolded problem, however the amount i have when armed with jar and spoon would constitute a "meal" when it comes to calories :weary:

Like the others mentioned, you could sub with PB2, but be prepared that it's not as good as the real stuff OR if your PB addiction isnt throwing you over your calories, then i wouldn't consider giving it up. I go over my fat, sometimes regularly, and it makes no difference in regards to weight loss, calories are what count in this instance.

How much are you eating daily? How many grams of fat are you averaging? You could be panicking for nothing :smiley: