Ketogenic Diet?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    2111Cai wrote: »
    I'm sorry, am I missing something? I thought the ketogenic diet means you don't eat any carbs. Which mean your body can only use the little fat pellet things called 'ketones.' But some people say they've been on this for a year or even longer. Won't your body give out once you run out of the excess fat? And I thought your brain couldn't use ketones. Basically, it seems like some people are saying its a lifestyle change while others are saying it's only a short term diet. A full year doesn't sound like a short term diet to me. So which is it? Is it a lifestyle change? And how do you avoid carbohydrates? Isn't that impossible? And what do you eat?

It's low carbohydrate, not no carbohydrate. I think the goal is to have 5% of your calories come from carbohydrates.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm sorry, am I missing something? I thought the ketogenic diet means you don't eat any carbs. Which mean your body can only use the little fat pellet things called 'ketones.' But some people say they've been on this for a year or even longer. Won't your body give out once you run out of the excess fat? And I thought your brain couldn't use ketones. Basically, it seems like some people are saying its a lifestyle change while others are saying it's only a short term diet. A full year doesn't sound like a short term diet to me. So which is it? Is it a lifestyle change? And how do you avoid carbohydrates? Isn't that impossible? And what do you eat?

It's a very low carb diet that is around 20 to 50g per day. As a result of cutting carbs, dietary fat will be increased to make up for the lost calories. As a result, your body will switch energy systems to run off of fat. It can be used as a short term diet or long term plan. It really depends on your intended use.

What you eat: fatty cuts of mean, low sugar fruits/veggies, full fat dairy, oils.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Well, those that have been on it for a year must all be brain-dead then, since their brains can't use ketones.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My husband is trying keto to lose the 50 lbs of excess water heater was carrying on his lower body. He lost something like 9 lbs the first week and his mobility and comfort have improved dramatically. I am doing moderate low carb for now to see how my brain responds and may go keto soon. I have mental illness, autism, and seizures to deal with.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Keto is good for children with epilepsy. Otherwise it offers no benefit over low carb diets.

Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.abstract

Some of us find ketones do offer health benefits though. I was personally shocked and pleased by the increase in mental clarity that I experienced. To be honest, it was a bit disturbing how much my thinking improved.

I also found that a ketogenic diet was the perfect "cure" for my reactive hypoglycemia too. Severe carb restrictions are the only way to control my blood glucose and insulin resistance too.

Low carb can help many, and ketosis can help some people even more.

As other's said, a nutritional ketogenic diet does involve carbs, just not a lot. Most keep their carbs under 50g per day, with many aiming for closer to 20g per day. The liver can create any extra glucose that is needed via gluconeogenesis. At first that basic amount of carbs needed per day is around 130g of glucose, but as time goes by, and the keto'er becomes more fat adapted, the body's (and brain's) minimum glucose needs drops further; sometimes down to under 50g.

The rest of the body, including the brain, is very happy to use ketones for most of it's fuel. In fact, ketones for fuel are often beneficial to the brain and can be used as a treatment after a stroke or brain injury, and it is starting to be used as a treatment for Alzheimer's patients.

So yes to both questions. It can be used as a shorter term diet, and it can also be a long term, even lifelong, diet.

And the only way to avoid carbs is to eat animal products only (dairy, eggs, meat) and even those have trace carbs. A carnivore will often be under 5g of carbs per day but won't often be right at 0g of carbs.

@kpk54 That's pretty awesome. :) Thanks for sharing that.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Keto is good for children with epilepsy. Otherwise it offers no benefit over low carb diets.

Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets

Some of us find ketones do offer health benefits though. I was personally shocked and pleased by the increase in mental clarity that I experienced. To be honest, it was a bit disturbing how much my thinking improved.

I also found that a ketogenic diet was the perfect "cure" for my reactive hypoglycemia too. Severe carb restrictions are the only way to control my blood glucose and insulin resistance too.

As other's said, a nutritional ketogenic diet does involve carbs, just not a lot. Most keep their carbs under 50g per day, with many aiming for closer to 20g per day. The liver can create any extra glucose that is needed via gluconeogenesis. At first that basic amount of carbs needed per day is around 130g of glucose, but as time goes by, and the keto'er becomes more fat adapted, the body's (and brain's) minimum glucose needs drops further; sometimes down to under 50g.

The rest of the body, including the brain, is very happy to use ketones for most of it's fuel. In fact, ketones for fuel are often beneficial to the brain and can be used as a treatment after a stroke or brain injury, and it is starting to be used as a treatment for Alzheimer's patients.

So yes to both questions. It can be used as a shorter term diet, and it can also be a long term, even lifelong, diet.

And the only way to avoid carbs is to eat animal products only (dairy, eggs, meat) and even those have trace carbs. A carnivore will often be under 5g of carbs per day but won't often be right at 0g of carbs.

I am almost wondering if that was due to addressing your medical issues? The only reason I wonder this, is because when my wife cut out gluten for her POTS, she saw sweeping improvements in her health and energy base. Either way, it's great when something finally works.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I am almost wondering if that was due to addressing your medical issues? The only reason I wonder this, is because when my wife cut out gluten for her POTS, she saw sweeping improvements in her health and energy base. Either way, it's great when something finally works.

That could well be. Unfortunately. I may have been (may be) experiencing the beginning of insulin resistance dementia (alzheimer's) so going with ketones for fuel would be of great benefit.

So many people have insulin resistance (NAFLD, PCOS, T2D, prediabetes, Alzheimers - if you hit 80 years old your chances are 50/50) so saying that ketones can have a healthful impact isn't too sweeping of a statement. About half of North America could benefit; at the very least, a third might regain some health.

I do agree that when you remove problem foods (for an individual) the impact can be dramatic.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »
    Only ever used it as a way to lose weight quickly, which has worked ok most times, but in general, I'd say it's pretty unsustainable as you have to cut full food groups out on a mid-long term basis. If you like fruit, this can be an issue. Also, it does dick about with your energy levels, so if you like working out, you can end up feeling about 75%-80% of your normal energy levels due to the reduced carbohydrate and glycogen storage.

please stop spreading disinformation
  • EllenZawada
    EllenZawada Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had an injury last year that is not healing. My doctor finally said no activity. I can sleep or sit in a chair until my should heals. Ugh. I gained 25lbs while feeling sorry for myself. Loosing weight without increased exercise has always been difficult for me, so when a friend started a small private Keto support group I decided to join. It's only been two weeks and I am shocked. This chronic insomniac is Fallon asleep on the couch by the end of the night. I don't remember ever being able to sleep this well. The brain fog is also gone. I experienced a trauma 6 years ago that de stories me. One of the changes was brain function and motivation. It ma gone. I'm sure both te additional sleep and diet are helping. My digestive system is also better. Gone is the bloated gassy feeling.

The goal for our group is to go Keto for six months. Most of us even went to our doctors and had comprehensive blood panels done. We plan to do the same at the end of the six moths. Most of us plan to add a small amount of carbs back into our diets at the end of our trial. I personally hope to stay mostly grain free.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    There is no food groups disallowed if you go LCHF. Fit it into your macro's like on any other plan. My energy levels btw are just fine. I can go to the gym and do a full and proper workout without any issues at all.

I can eat fruit, veg, chocolate, cheese, pizza, bacon, sausages, cream, butter, steak, salads, wraps, ice cream, hamburgers with melted cheese, bacon and avocado.

I'm wondering If they weren't referring to "Grains". My understanding, from medical texts and health professionals, is that grains aren't needed in a diet. That refined sugars coming from grains and sugar in combination together are essentially toxic to the body.

What medical text or health professional told you that grains contain refined sugar? That just isn't true (unless you add it while preparing them). I would be very cautious about whatever source provided this information to you.

Grains aren't required for health, but they aren't toxic.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    mlee981 wrote: »
    Low carb diets are one of the most stupid things you can do for your body.
    I come from a past of anorexia , weight restored now and much healthier . and also thought low carb low fat was the way to Go. It's not , it's really not .

You just need to focus on whole foods and change your mind set away from weight loss, weight loss should be a slow and gradual process.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLwtVGCigu7oAP7KiCSJ6St8f5Sgb6qgLm&params=OAFIAVgJ&v=iDW6mfKJclk&mode=NORMAL

Our bodies run on carbohydrates . Just eat the right foods . :)

You need to learn to love yourself .

You still have much to learn.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    @GAlove05 that is great that it has helped with migraines I suffer with migraines and am starting Keto. Will see how I do.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Neuropathy and MS: did you ever have your B12 levels checked? If so, were they below approx. 300? Are you on injections? If not, why not? Have you been taking B12 tablets or anything fortified in B12 in the months before the test? Those can skew the results
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Well for those of us who are Type 2 diabetic - it is sustainable and necessary if you want to improve your diabetes or even reverse it. Carbs are in a lot of foods - it is very difficult to eat no carbs.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I was put on the ketogenic diet by my endo 30 years ago for pre diabetes. I am so glad. I have watched all my friends grow fat, ill, and some even die. I am 58 years old now, and still slender, energetic and perfectly healthy. My health is not genetic because my sisters are both heavy now. This is the fountain of youth. I have eggs, bacon, chicken, beef, lamb pork. I eat until I am full and I can go for hours without needing to eat. I am NEVER going back to poisonous carbs.

Poisonous? Here's a definition of poison:

poi·son
    ˈpoiz(ə)n/
    noun
    a substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed.
    synonyms: toxin, toxicant, venom; archaicbane
    "a deadly poison"

No, just no.