• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm offended by the suggestion.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Hell no. (Having just enjoyed a latte, time for a long black soon).

Count the calories, pay attention to any impact from the caffeine (I only have coffee in the morning as it keeps me awake if I have it later in the day), and enjoy!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Giving up coffee?

Haha. Hahaha. hahahahahahaHAHAHA

I'm a chemistry grad student. When I defend my dissertation, I'm putting coffee on my acknowledgements list, and that's not even a joke.

ETA: As a chemist, I can tell you that caffeine is not bad for you unless you have some type of sensitivity to it. Or if you manage to exceed the acceptable amount of ingestion, which is a lot of caffeine. In my massive amount of coffee drinking, I never even manage to come close to the limit.

I work in a commercial lab. I drink ridiculous amounts of coffee. At least I leave my cup at my desk and don't take it I to the lab? One guy I work with used to leave his water bottle in the dry chemical room...
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    One cup will increase stress (and other things such as irritable bowel symptoms) if you're sensitive to stimulants, and it will increase the likelihood of belly fat if you're drinking it with a lot of sugar and/or cream. Everything I have read (and been told by my doctor and dietician) agrees a cup a day with a little bit of cream and sugar is not going to do any harm unless there is an underlying condition. Furthermore, many studies have shown that caffeine acts as an appetite suppressant and that a small amount of coffee prior to a workout can help improve performance and metabolism.

Bottom line: it's what you put in your coffee that counts. Lattes and cappuccinos have much higher fat and sugar content, and in turn higher calorie counts, so three or four a week is indeed pushing it, however you could get away with it if you're monitoring the rest of your diet closely.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Take no notice - Please.
    There's been "Coffee is bad for you" articles since day dot.

I drink coffee daily and I won't stop because I enjoy it. Get me to limit my food intake - fine. But coffee? Hell no!
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here reading your post while enjoying a large iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts with extra cream, 1 sugar and mocha swirl. Having a liquid breakfast this morning. Ain't no way in hell I'm giving this up. Work your *kitten* off so you can enjoy the hell out of it I say.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. Moderation is key. My doctor (who is awesome) said she would rather I drink coffee for my caffeine than soda.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    You can pry my coffee out of my cold, dead hands. And my whipping cream...
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Unless you're joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, then no, you don't need to give up coffee.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    tumsbums wrote: »
    Hi there! I am a 23 year old student who really loves a coffee. However - recently I have seen a lot of articles on why caffeine is bad for you. :'(

These articles state things along the lines of "Just one cup can increase stress and unhealthy belly fat", "It causes cancers", "it can cause brain damage by overstimulating the body" etc.

I try not to get too scared by these statements, but I must admit they are worrying me, :/ and I really don't want to cut coffee out my life! I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this subject?: Do I really have to go without it from now on?

Just to add a little more info - I don't really think I am addicted to caffeine. I don't have a coffee everyday, and I never make it at home. I have it about 4 times a week when I visit a coffee shop with friends. I am a huge fan of a cappuccino or a yummy gingerbread latte now and then!

Any help on this would be much appreciated - thanks! X :)

You can probably find just as many articles stating benefits of drinking coffee. This one https://authoritynutrition.com/top-13-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coffee/ is actually saying some very opposite things to what you've been reading.

One of your statements caught my attention - "huge fan of a cappuccino or a yummy gingerbread latte", and I think this is where a lot of the trouble is. The fancy coffee creations are not just coffee, but all the additional niceness is packed with calories, sugar, fat, etc. I drink just regular coffee or tea, and in both instances I've stopped adding sugar since joining MFP.
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm also a student and need the caffeine for finals. I am living proof that coffee with sugar won't affect your weight loss. So far I've lost 20+ pounds and aiming for more. The thing with coffee is that it can be dehydrating so that's why a lot of people suggest aiming a higher water goal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee. I wake up chirpy. I suspect if I took up coffee now, I'd be intolerably cheerful and I would not have any friends. Not that there's anything wrong with coffee drinkers.

If you suffer from insomnia stop drinking the stuff at noon.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/coffee-drinking-statistics/
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I heard coffee was a super food!
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It all depends what you put into it. I drink a large hot straight black coffee every day, and have lost 86 pounds. Years ago I did quit coffee for a while, but was much happier with it back in my life :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I heard coffee was a super food!

Yes Yes to this!

I might consider my self super human after I get done with my second cup this morning!
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I could exist without my daily large coffee.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    tumsbums wrote: »
    Hi there! I am a 23 year old student who really loves a coffee. However - recently I have seen a lot of articles on why caffeine is bad for you. :'(

These articles state things along the lines of "Just one cup can increase stress and unhealthy belly fat", "It causes cancers", "it can cause brain damage by overstimulating the body" etc.

Balderdash. I've been drinking coffee for 40 years.

Here's to the next 30-40 years of coffee drinking for me....and the next 60+ years for you. B)

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    it would be fair worse for the health everybody that came across me if i gave up coffee

i have cut down (from around 15-18 mugs a days) since iv been counting calories but only because 15 mugs of coffee with 2 sugars and milk were obviously not great lol
    I know have around 3 mugs aday 1 of which i have 1 sugar in and the other 2 i have no sugar (i can tell im on a lower dose of caffine lol) it gets me by without killing anyone and every now and then I will make a coffee and walnut cake just to boost my coffee intake lol
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The benefits of coffee are wide-ranging—from protecting against type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease to lowering rates of depression among women.

just read this ^^ on the comment above and think i should really up my dose again right? :D
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Caffeine is good for you! I actually think more kids should be drinking it, but that may be controversial. I know I wish I'd had a hot cup of joe before 1st hour back in high school, keep my *kitten* alert and learning.