Gabapentin Weight Increase - Suggestions

Options
Hello,
I had surgery on my foot September of 2015, one year ago. I ended up with nerve damage, so I was put on a seizure medication (gabapentin) to help the nerve damage pain. It's taken a year to get back into the gym because of the pain with walking. I've gained over 30lbs in that time frame, although I continued to count my calories. Any suggestions on others that take gabapentin trying to lose weight. Thank you :)

Replies

• adohiwaya
    adohiwaya Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hell my sister..I am a former competitive Bodybuilder and Power-lifter.....I competed at 325 lbs with a 32 inch waist.......I have a spinal injury I am recovering from....currently my lifestyle is sedentary, has been for a number of years as I am a pastor who is recovering from a broken neck and back....so my legs do not work well just yet...but...I try to not allow that to keep me from moving...walking right now is my only exercise along with resistance bands for the upper body.

I have been taking Gabapentin for a year and have also gained 30 pounds....you are not alone.....in my situation, I also am on lasic to get rid of excess water....that being said....a further reduction in calories, with an increase in Protein and fiber has helped me somewhat...aerobic activity and diet is key to weight loss as is strength training.....as the legs are made up of the largest muscles of the body, working them everyday, in strength training, will help you burn off the excess calories....also if you want to burn fat, you must consume fat, lean fats, and the extra fiber and protein will provide a greater sense of satiety...fullness throughout the day......

I work with a clinical dietician and a weight loss physician who is also an Osteopath to lose 165 lbs...then build back up to a good contest weight as my spinal cord injury improves....

I wish you well on your journey........

Blessings....

Rev. Larry S. King
    Charlotte, N.C.

• P13C35
    P13C35 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    On gabapentin for 25 years, it usually increases weight by 20-30 lbs. It is just one of those side effects. I can't be without it. I've used exercise mainly to combat the increase issue. Did lose weight when previously using MFP and im on anothermed that adds 70 lbs to base weight as well. I bike daily w my service dog for quick calorie burn. I go faster alone onbike, of course, but dog is high spirited over the top energy and is my fastest biking pal so far. I need more exercise to give myself the added room to work w the med problems. It s the only thing I've found that works for me. I can count all I want but w out the wiggle room exercise provides, damn near impossible to keep ahead of side effects.