How much does occasional alcohol hurt your diet?

I have been eating healthy, but this weekend I have a bachelorette party, and the following weekend the wedding. I still plan to watch what I eat every day, including those days. But, there is a good chance I will be drinking quite a bit over these two days. Will these two days make me gain weight even though I eat healthy all week long?

Replies

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    If you go over your maintenance calories consistently or dramatically yes it could cause a gain. However this is only 2 days of your life. The key to special occasions is planning. Decide how many calories you'd like to allocate to alcohol in each of these weeks, for ease of math lets say 1000 for each occasion. If you create a deficit of only about 150 calories during the week preceding the event voila! you maintain and still get your party. You don't gain weight in an instant. Its totally acceptable to look at your allotted calories as a weekly average i.e. 15000 calories per week broken down by whatever split works for you.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Yes you may gain, but you should drop that just as quick if you keep up your otherwise healthy eating.
  • EricaH7
    EricaH7 Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks for the answer, I guess I always have a hard time thinking of calories on a weekly basis. I weigh daily and I always just assume the calories I don't eat at the end of the day are gone I don't know why. I have been panicking about how many calories of alcohol I am going to consume over these two days. I guess I should take a step back and see how many extra calories I have for the week I haven't consumed and see if it evens itself out.
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    You can probably expect a water weight increase which will show up on the scale, especially if you weigh yourself the next morning. Usually that goes away within a few days to a week. As for actual fat gain, it is possible but you'd have to eat 3500 calories OVER your TDEE every day which is quite a bit. It could also stall your weight loss depending on whether or not you end up consuming at maintenance.
  • EricaH7
    Another question, What is the most calorie friendly drinks to get at the bar this weekend for the bachelorette party? beer? I know everyone says vodka, but usually that would be mixed with soda so that would be just as bad as beer wouldn't it?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Shots!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited September 2016
    Vodka...with water and lemon!

Choose light booze...the clearer the better....beer bad..vodka good!
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member

Jack Daniels better... ;)

• JustMissTracy
    pdm3547 wrote: »

Why aren't we friends yet?!!! Good choice!
  • PowerFwd
    PowerFwd Posts: 23 Member
    Alcohol affects people differently. In my experience, while losing weight, it will temporarily stall my progress or may cause me to gain weight. Therefore, I have to look at alcohol consumption as MORE than just additional calories. The liver has many functions and plays a key role in weight loss by processing fat. It also processes toxins. Alcohol is a toxin that is processed by the liver. In the liver, the processing of alcohol (toxin) will take priority over other functions, including processing of fat. For me, it takes anywhere from 24 hours to several days for my liver to complete the processing of alcohol and to begin processing fat again and to get back on track with my weight loss goals after consuming alcohol.

Armed with this knowledge, there are times when I believe the occasion or the company I am with is more than worth the temporary stall in my weight loss. On other occasions, not so much.
  • EricaH7

I have never had vodka with water. It honestly just sounds disgusting to not have something else giving it flavor. lol
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    pdm3547 wrote: »

Why aren't we friends yet?!!! Good choice!

We already are. I can spot JD lovers a mile off :*
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Erica, I don't mean this in a bad way, honestly, but would you just relax and enjoy your party this weekend! You'll be fine, you won't be obse overnight from a night out. Just enjoy yourself and get right back on track the next day.
    "naturally" Skinny people have nights out too!
  • JustMissTracy
    EricaH7 wrote: »

I have never had vodka with water. It honestly just sounds disgusting to not have something else giving it flavor. lol

Me too...lemon...or lime even! Sometimes just a splash of some fruity drink like Cherry 7up is nice too!
  • EricaH7
    Erica, I don't mean this in a bad way, honestly, but would you just relax and enjoy your party this weekend! You'll be fine, you won't be obse overnight from a night out. Just enjoy yourself and get right back on track the next day.
    "naturally" Skinny people have nights out too!

Thanks I really needed to hear that. I have been so focused on what I eat and drink for the past month I can't stand when I go over in calories! I do need to relax and stop the obsession to have a good night.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Excess calories cause far gain, not alcohol. From comments on these forums I'd say the bigger problem is lowered inhibitions that lead to overconsumption of high calorie foods when drinking alcohol.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    I fall off the proverbial wagon most weekends. I like my wine. I have not gained weight but it does stall my weight loss. Many times I will drink my daily allotment of calories.

As for the most calorie friendly drinks some light beers Budweiser 55, Miller 64, Michelob Ultra etc are the lowest in calories. Ironically a pint of Guinness only has 105 calories. Gin or Vodka & diet tonic or club soda give you the calories from the alcohol which are about 80 per 1.5 ounces. You may have to bring your own diet tonic.

Another thing that helps is water. For every alcoholic drink you have, have a full glass of water, preferable a pint, in between. This will also reduce any hangover & keep you full.

Stay away from things made with juice (usually about 130 calories per 8 ounces) or soda. Especially avoid creamy things (mudslides, white russians etc.) & frozen things (pina coladas, daiquiris etc.)

Do try to dance A LOT at these events. The calorie burn from dancing will offset the calorie intake from the booze, at least a little.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    My go to "skinny" drink is vodka with club soda and a lime - or 2!
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    In my experience the danger is not the alcohol but the tendency to think IDGAF about the diet after a few drinks! Relax - as long as you revert back to counting cals 2 days will not affect your progress in the long term!