Antidepressants and Weight Gain

Options
skyhowl
skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Well, as the title says. I am going to ask my doc for Antidepressant soon and i know that one of the side effects is weight gain. and i am really concerned about that.

This is not my first time taking Antidepressant, My doc prescribed Antidepressant last year but i never committed to taking it (I can't follow medical prescription, i forget most of the times). so He told me he will take me off the prescription because it is not going to work with me taking it one day and forgetting 5 days.

Since then, i've joined here on MFP, I am (174 cm) and my start weight was (84 kg). Now i am (68.5 kg). i want to maintain at (63 kg) if i am happy with the results then. or lost more. still not sure.

Right now my situation has gone much worse. and i feel like i really need Antidepressant. I can't live my life like that. but...
I don't want to lose all the progress I've made. and i am not sure if the weight gain associated with Antidepressant is a direct effect of the drug itself. or if you become happy and eat so much, so you gain weight?
any advice?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have been on anti-depressants for quite a few years now and they have worked really well in 'taking the edge off' my anxieties and depression. The anti-depressants will not cause weight gain. The only reason for your weight gain will be if you take in more calories than you burn. Some people report an increase in appetite whilst taking AD's which leads to eating more but the pills themselves will not lead to weight gain. I didn't gain my weight due to taking the anti depressants :)
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If you truly feel you need an antidepressant and your Dr. agrees then there are a few out there that don't mess with your weight. So some research and talk to your Dr.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Not all antidepressants are associated with increased appetite. Discuss this concern with your doctor and the possibility of a prescription for something like Wellbutrin. I take mine with my morning tea.

Also, I find exercise to be every bit as helpful with depression (and anxiety). What's your exercise routine? Something as simple as walking regularly can have a profound effect on one's state of mind.
  • skyhowl
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Not all antidepressants are associated with increased appetite. Discuss this concern with your doctor and the possibility of a prescription for something like Wellbutrin. I take mine with my morning tea.

Also, I find exercise to be every bit as helpful with depression (and anxiety). What's your exercise routine? Something as simple as walking regularly can have a profound effect on one's state of mind.

well, i just had a surgery, so i wasn't excising.
    but even before surgery, i did exercise. but i tend to forget or only exercise when i feel good mentally.
    I lift and run
    so my routine for running is i run at night "i use the 5k run app" because i am not really good at running and i had a plan of becoming more fit.
    and i follow 5x5 lifting routine. 3 days aweek.
    I enjoy lifting more though :D.
  • skyhowl
    Options
    I have been on anti-depressants for quite a few years now and they have worked really well in 'taking the edge off' my anxieties and depression. The anti-depressants will not cause weight gain. The only reason for your weight gain will be if you take in more calories than you burn. Some people report an increase in appetite whilst taking AD's which leads to eating more but the pills themselves will not lead to weight gain. I didn't gain my weight due to taking the anti depressants :)

Good, thanks for the replay. I am like always questioning if Antidepressants actually work. even though i never actually committed to taking it everyday. i have the feeling that nothing can fix me. so hopefully i will be able to follow the prescription and not gain any weight. that would be a plus.
  • skyhowl
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    If you truly feel you need an antidepressant and your Dr. agrees then there are a few out there that don't mess with your weight. So some research and talk to your Dr.

I will do more research :) thank you for your replay
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    thats the problem i have now. Im on citalophram and im beginning to think its the reason for my weight gain. Nothing i do can stop the gain.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    As others have said, there are a few options for anti-depressants that are less likely to cause weight gain.

I'm going to throw this out there, but having your mental health in check might be worth a 2-5 lb temporary weight gain. Your mind and your body need to be healthy.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Celexa isn't one that usually causes weight gain.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Options
    Also, just because weight gain is a side-effect doesn't mean that it WILL be the case for you.

I'm on an SNRI instead of a regular SSRI because I have OCD. Weight gain is a side-effect but really it suppresses my appetite. You might have to try a few things until you find the right fit.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I would be very wary of Paxil. Just an FYI ☺ Definitely read the fine print on side effects for weight gain.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    skyhowl wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

well, i just had a surgery, so i wasn't excising.
    but even before surgery, i did exercise. but i tend to forget or only exercise when i feel good mentally.
    I lift and run
    so my routine for running is i run at night "i use the 5k run app" because i am not really good at running and i had a plan of becoming more fit.
    and i follow 5x5 lifting routine. 3 days aweek.
    I enjoy lifting more though :D.

I've often had to force myself. Currently, I just plan to do something at lunchtime and something after work. I punch out and go do it. I give myself permission to stop if I have to, but I'm always fine once I start.
  • skyhowl
    Options
    As others have said, there are a few options for anti-depressants that are less likely to cause weight gain.

I'm going to throw this out there, but having your mental health in check might be worth a 2-5 lb temporary weight gain. Your mind and your body need to be healthy.

True, :) i am just afraid that i will get all the negative effects and nothing good :D i understand that it is important to get my mental health in check especially when i feel like i am lucky i am still breathing. focusing only on my body won't get me far in life. my dr is in a trip to US right now. so i will talk to him when he's back.
  • skyhowl
    Options
    Celexa isn't one that usually causes weight gain.

Thank you for the suggestion, i am going to write down the names of meds you guys told me. and hopefully i will find it here. i know that some medications are not the same name in every country. but my dr should know that.
  • skyhowl
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    thats the problem i have now. Im on citalophram and im beginning to think its the reason for my weight gain. Nothing i do can stop the gain.

Umm, do you feel like your appetite increased?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I actually haven't gained from any but I found that once my mood is better I tend to naturally eat more so I had to watch that
  • Skyblueyellow
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track OP!!!

I know it's a long journey <3
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    skyhowl wrote: »
    raven56706 wrote: »

Umm, do you feel like your appetite increased?

no
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've been on Wellbutrin for a while with no effect on my weight loss. No side effects at all, in fact. If anything my appetite is curbed somewhat.

About remembering to take pills: Get a pill container like the kind old people use. Put it on your bathroom sink where you can't not see it.

About remembering to do things in general: Make a list of daily "non negotiables" and put it in a place(s) where you will see it multiple times throughout the day. Mine starts with making the bed. Then weighing myself, then taking my pills and vitamins. I pretty much have to willfully not do something for it not to get done.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    There are many different antidepressants. Some cause weight gain and some do not. Celexa is one of the big ones for giving people the munchies. Lexapro, not. Wellbutrin has a lot of people losing weight on it. do some research before going in to see the doctor, and state up front that you are not willing to take one of the meds that causes weight gain.