Want to cut way back on sugar

Options
Anyone have any good suggestions for the best/good choices in coffee creamers, alcoholic drinks, salad dressings? These are probably my main problem areas with sugar/carbs as I am not much of a sweets eater. :/

Replies

• divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you have a blender or food processor, you can make your old dressings. Citrus or vinegar or both. A portioned olive oil or instead of using oil, use dijon or brown mustard, oil free hummus, roasted red peppers, nutritional yeast or roasted cauliflower. Once you have a base, you can try different flavors - fresh dill, basil, sundried tomatos, chili flakes, salt free seasonings, ginger, chipotle peppers, cilantro....just some ideas.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat a lot of sugar in the first place, the effect of cutting your sugar intake will be small.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    You just have to read labels. Regular non-flavored half-and-half is not much on sugar. However, do you consume a lot of non-sweets type of carbs like bread, rice, pasta etc.....? Just wondering.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Read the labels. That's the key. And learn all the many many many names for added sugar.

Here's one list. There are others, but some are on some pretty "political" websites.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/different-words-sugar-food-labels-8373.html
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree. Just reading labels will help.

For salad dressings, the ones that are refrigerated by the produce are often without sugars (sugar is a preservative). Instead of coffee creamers use whipping cream or half and half with some spices; coconut cream is nice in coffee too.

I can't help with alcohol as I'm not much of a drinker.

Tropical fruits are high in sugars too. Bananas, mangos and such. They can bring up sugar intake quickly. Berries and fruits grown in more temperate regions are usually lower in sugar.