Are fat burning pills for me?

Options
Does anyone supplement their diet with any fat burning pills? I've been looking at a vegan green tea supplement. Are they any good?

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There are very few things that help burn fat other than just eating fewer calories than you burn. It's more likely a waste of money than anything.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Nah
  • skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i think it is a waste of money, and probably won't do you any good.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    They're only for you if you like wasting money on things that don't work.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil daily and CLA. I take both to A) Help my heart and cardiovascular system and B) to help burn fat/keep my arteries in good shape. The CLA is reported to help reduce fat and increase muscle but the jury is out, I use it to help my arteries (which I figured were half clogged from years of being obese) clear and to help them recover. It has no side effects for me, and I can tell you that after taking both for a year, I feel my heart and cardiovascular system is in top shape. I've been dropping fat like crazy (nearing my goal of 10%) but that is probably due to lots of cardio daily even though I'm at maintenance now.

I wouldn't expect either of those things on their own to do any good, but with a good exercise program who knows. Beyond that, green tea did nothing for me, neither did any of the other supplements out there (I tried Forskolin, Green Tea, and L-Carnitine). Both L-Carnitine and Green Tea Extract gave me energy, which I guess if you use it in conjunction with your workout might help you to burn more calories but by itself no.. it does not burn fat. The only two I kept taking was the CLA and the Fish Oil. I have noticed that my favorite intra-workout drink has L-Carnitine in it, and I can tell you that again, it gives me an energy boost (because if I took either Green Tea Extract or L-Carnitine in the evenings there was no sleeping going to happen that night lol). So no, you can take a good multivitamin, some fish oil, and if you want, CLA but honestly as a man those are the two things that helped. However, lately I've been trying DAA (as a man, I am not sure if it would work for a woman) and find it's actually having some positive effects. I will probably take it for a while until I make my conclusion, but I've built more muscle in the last three weeks of taking DAA than I did in the previous 3 months. I'm 47 though, so it's taken as a test booster, and for me at least it may be working. /shrug

But all the others out there (and some I mentioned), pretty much snake oil. Even the vitamins I take and the few supplements I take are taken to fill my personal needs, as a general rule they won't help burn fat either. The one thing for sure I can tell you that WILL burn fat is a good cardio program that is consistent week after week coupled with a calorie deficit.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,998 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The only way to keep weight off is by changing your lifestyle and sticking to it

The healthy natural way is always the best way x

This.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Depends on whether or not you enjoy B.S.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    No. The are only good at taking people's money.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    "fat burning" pills.

Fixed it.

The claims that garcinia cambogia and green tea pills and raspberry ketones make to assist in fat burning are dubious, at best. Supplements aren't regulated by the FDA so they can make some pretty ludicrous claims and not get in trouble for it. Note that all of these supplements say "when used with a well balanced diet and exercise."

So skip the pills and just do the well balanced diet and exercise. It's just CICO
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    "Fat burning pills/supplements/etc" is slang for "lies to make manipulative jerks money"
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    No.

A calorie deficit is for you, just like it is for everyone else. It truly works if you do it right. Eat less calories than your personal maintenance calories, weigh your food on a food scale and log accurately and you shall see weight loss.

Those teas just burn holes in your bank account.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Does anyone supplement their diet with any fat burning pills? I've been looking at a vegan green tea supplement. Are they any good?

If you're looking for a "YES" then you're in the wrong forum. It's going to be a unanimous "NO" from everyone here. A bunch of nutrition and fitness nerds.

Calorie deficit + cardio (optional) = fat loss

Simple as that.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Mostly no. But like a lot of things... if you believe it works than chances are it will work for you.

It might behoove you to do some legitimate research on the supplement you are thinking about taking. If you search enough you will find a lot of good, honest reviews from users, medical professionals and nutritionist. Some people swear by them, others not so much.

I take CLA for the oils and I use melatonin for restful sleep. I have taken white kidney bean in the past to bind some of the carbs I ingest. I mainly do that when I know I am going to have a carb heavy day. They worked for me for weight loss but now that I am in bulking mode I need all the (veggie) carbs I can get :smile:

I do hear very good things about Ali and it's the only over the counter drug, regulated and approved by the FDA. It doesn't burn fat however, it blocks some of the fat the user ingests. Also... I don't put much faith in the FDA so I only believe about half of what they claim. I also hear very good things about Belivq but again, it's not meant as a fat burner but a fat blocker. You would need a prescription for that one from your medical doctor.

If you're looking for a little kick I would recommend just having some black coffee before a workout. Although some people get the jitters. I don't. Caffeine serves to release fat cells (energy) into the blood stream, which is why you get that little rush of energy when you drink a coffee. I like to drink one prior to a work out for the small boost and to burn up a little more fat. I mean why not, it's floating around in my blood anyway, might as well use it up :smile:

I'd say about 90% of the crap you see on the shelves is just that... crap. A lot of fillers and binders and very little health benefits. As far as all of the herbal supplements... again, do your research before consuming anything herbal as many of them can cause long-term adverse reactions. Some can be toxic even in small doses.

If you're just starting your journey, I'd recommend just beginning with clean eating and a solid calorie deficit. Drink plenty of water with lemon and get a decent amount of exercise. Try that for a couple of months before diving into the supplement market.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I promise you - no.
    I have tried near enough ALL the available fat burners promising the miracle cure. I assure you wholeheartedly that they do not work. It's true, if there were a magic pill - none of us would be here now and we'd all be the perfect weight. Please save your money