How often do you run?

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    5-6 might be a bit much if you are new.

I have run anywhere from 1-6 days a week depending in what I was training for. Marathon training...5-6 days/week. Non competitive Half training...2-3 days. General fitness 1-2 days. I like to run so I try to get at least one day a week in
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I also echo the advice that if you are just starting out, 3 days per week is enough. At this point, the recovery is as important as the runs themselves. Those who run 6 days a week, usually take years to work up to that point and even still, they alternate hard runs with easy "recovery" runs. You body has to adapt to a point where easy running can be considered recovery.
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    SkinnyFatBGone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 times a week.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Whenever my bike is broke. Or I sign up for an event.

Now when I'm training for the Flying Pig Half Marathon I go out a few times a week. Whatever McMillian Running suggest. .
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner and have been following the 3 days a week thing. This week was the first time I've ran 4 days (I was bored yesterday afternoon and had some time to kill and it was pretty out. So I went for an easy run. I don't know who I am anymore!). 5 or 6 this early on would kill me.

I used to always say I would never run, but for inspired by a friend awhile back. Did a bunch of research to help avoid shin splints (a big factor on why I never ran), and have been amazed at how much I've been enjoying it. I still love my bikes the most, but due to some serious anti-bike sentiments in my area, I've grown to wary of riding on the roads, and the 45 minutes to pack and unpack and drive to the trail makes riding, time wise, almost impossible. So nice to put on shoes and go out the door!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you are a new runner, I would recommend running three days a week with rest days in between. Giving your body time to rest will help prevent injury that can happen from trying to do too much, too soon. You don't have to be sedentary on the off days--you can cross train instead, which will also help prevent injury.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    When I first started I ran 3-4 days a week without any back to back days.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    New runner? 3 days a week max. Set a goal of the distance you want to run. Do this for a period of time and increase mileage no more than 10% per week preferably run this 10% increase for two weeks straight before adding another 10%. Now increasing speed/pace is a different goal and different training methods.

Your running fundamentals are very important.. good form, and having built a solid foundation to your running fitness..do this slowly as this is not just not for your hearth and lungs, its for your your bones, ligaments, tendons and muscles etc. This prevents injury.

The best thing to do is cross train and also incorporate strength training into you running program.
  • JasonRainboze
    JasonRainboze Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot and now I am kind of supplementing my workouts with 1 five mile run a week. I want to do more. Sometimes I run with my dogs for a mile or so before work. There really isn't too much as long as you eat right, stretch and listen to your body.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I run whenever zombies are chasing me!
  • Sillybee727
    Sillybee727 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Coming back to running after a hiatus(lazy) period. Taking the dog for morning easy 1-2 mile runs about 3-4 times per week until I build my stamina back up.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Right now I am running 5 1/2 miles 3x a week. I am going to add another short run day starting next week for a total of 4 runs a week. I want to get faster (right now I am a turtle runner). Hopefully adding 1 quicker pace 2 mile run a week will help with speed.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I currently run 5 days a week (about 25 to 30 miles per week) plus 1 day of non running cardio, but will be going up to 6 days per week next month in preparation for my 1st marathon. I also do 3 to 4 days of strength training and 3 to 4 days of yoga per week.

When starting, you don't want to increase your mileage by more than 10% per week. I do 1 long run, 1 day of speed training (intervals, hills, or tempo run) and the other runs are at an easy pace (which should be determined by your heart rate since an "easy pace" differs greatly by individual).

I've only started running this year, but I've really enjoyed it and have done well so far, winning a few female overalls and a few female masters.

Good luck and have fun with it!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I'm still learning to run. I've been improving too which is exciting. Lol I aim for 5 or 6 days a week. I was wondering if that's the normal amount or if it's too much.

Depends on the objectives in my current plan. As a new runner I'd veer towards no more than 3-4 times per week.

For marathon and above I'm generally on 4-5 runs per week with a long back to back pair at the weekends.

fwiw I cross train on my bike, either turbo-trainer threshold work or long steady rides to hep the CV fitness.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Right now I am running 5 1/2 miles 3x a week. I am going to add another short run day starting next week for a total of 4 runs a week. I want to get faster (right now I am a turtle runner). Hopefully adding 1 quicker pace 2 mile run a week will help with speed.

You might want to check out running intervals or doing a tempo run if you want to improve your speed. Googling those will provide you with tons of info. If you have a Garmin or similar, you can program those training runs into your watch so it alerts you when to change your pace.