Bacon vs Turkey Bacon

Options
which one is the healthier choice? lots of debate on this.

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Forget healthy, concentrate on delicious.

ETA: That might have sounded a little dismissive of your question (which I didn't intend). They're both processed meat and I don't believe there's any appreciable difference in their healthfulness - or any credible science to support eating one over the other. So, yeah, eat the one you prefer.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Whichever one fits your personal needs & goals better.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    You cannot beat bacon. I move my whole day around to fit it in!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If it's a recipe with bacon, I use real bacon. If I'm eating it as is or in a burger or something, I like turkey bacon.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The term "healthy" doesn't mean much without the context of the overall diet. Whatever you like better as long as you can fit it in with your calories/macros. Depending on the cut, regular bacon often is about identical to turkey bacon anyways as far as the nutritional info goes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Go with fresh with no nitrates or celery extract if you can. I would say that would be healthiest. And most expensive. Otherwise I go with the celery extract. Either type. I prefer pork. One of my kids prefers turkey.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and preferences.
    They both have protein. Turkey bacon has about half the calories. Some people strongly prefer the taste of regular bacon over turkey bacon.
    Look at the nutritional information of each and decide what is important to you.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    *kitten* healthy. I eat bacon once a month, at most. When I have it, I want proper lightly marbled back with some, not all, of the outer fat trimmed off and grilled until crispy.

Can't do that with Bernard Matthews' finest.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    fakin bacon! But that's me. I don't like bacon, *gasp
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I like the taste and texture of turkey bacon better. I never cared all that much for regular bacon because it always seemed too greasy.
  • cmjlavallee
    cmjlavallee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love them both! Turkey bacon is great when you need something fast and from the microwave!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    One is an overly processed food that bares faint resemblance to it's origin, and the other is an overly salty "meat" that is mostly fat. I wouldn't consider either to be a healthy food. But when I eat bacon, I eat bacon.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I like both.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I've not acquired a taste for turkey bacon even though I have tried. To Hornsby's point adding it on top of something would likely work better for me. I like real bacon if I'm eating it as a stand alone component of breakfast or something. Healthier likely its the turkey bacon. I always make room for the real thing if its in the plan for the day.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I always buy turkey bacon, only because I'm a calorie Nazi and it does the trick for me. I haven't had real bacon in a longg time but I'd definitely eat it. I also get turkey bacon a lot cheaper, it's like 3 packs for $5 and woooo.
    Don't consider anything less healthy than the other.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I prefer regular bacon myself - I do remember turkey bacon making me feel really bloated from the extra sodium in it to make it 'taste like bacon'.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    which one is the healthier choice? lots of debate on this.

Look at the nutritional profile on the packaging...

The only turkey bacon I like is pretty on par nutritionally speaking with regular old bacon...then they make that cardboard stuff that's like zero fat...but yeah...it's pretty much a piece of cardboard...hardly anything I'm rushing to the breakfast table for.

IMO, if you like bacon have some bacon once in awhile...my wife and I have a couple slices of bacon with our Saturday morning breakfast most weekends...I wouldn't exactly call either one a "healthy choice"...but I hardly think that's going to be overly detrimental to anything given that I'm not just sitting around eating slabs of bacon day in and day out. Don't out-think yourself.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Turkey "bacon" is not bacon. Only bacon is bacon.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I actually really like turkey bacon, that's what my fiance and I buy. You can have two pieces for only 60 calories which is definitely different than normal bacon. However, my god, when normal bacon is cooked just like I like it I think I could eat a tub of it (which is part of the reason why I don't buy it.)

Regular bacon is about 65 calories for 2 slices.