Butternut Squash Pizza

Options
I have a new cookbook(vegan), and one of the recipes i want to try is butternut squash pizza (for the base)

The recipe calls for 650g squash
2 tbsp chia seed (to make an egg)
250g flour
Plus spices etc

However thats a hella lot of cals from flour. Even if i halved it its still about 500 csls from flour.

Any ideas to make without/less flour and it not be super wet?
Ps please dont write, why not just have normal pizza, thats not what im asking.

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    That sounds like a pizza to serve 6-8 people!

Find out if the bases freeze well. If they do then make half the mixture into 2 bases
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »

Theres no serving on the base which is bothering me, but the photo looks like 10 small slices so maybe 4 people?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Find out if the bases freeze well. If they do then make half the mixture into 2 bases

tumblr_n9ndg1h1kC1rxevt4o1_500.jpg

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Theres no serving on the base which is bothering me, but the photo looks like 10 small slices so maybe 4 people?

So it was four people, you're looking at 250 calories per for the "crust"...not really a calorie bomb IMO.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    As much as I cringe linking to a blog called "Detoxinista," she's got the non-flour pizza crusts down to a crispy art. I imagine you could use squash instead of cauliflower in this recipe if you wanted: http://detoxinista.com/2014/02/vegan-cauliflower-pizza-crust/

Either way, you'll need to get as much moisture as possible out of your vegetable.

There's about 300 calories from almond meal in this recipe, so depending on how big your crust turns out it could be lighter on calories.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

So it was four people, you're looking at 250 calories per for the "crust"...not really a calorie bomb IMO.

Im guessing maybe 4. To be fair i have no idea. But that doesnt sound to bad splitting it up.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    As much as I cringe linking to a blog called "Detoxinista," she's got the non-flour pizza crusts down to a crispy art. I imagine you could use squash instead of cauliflower in this recipe if you wanted: http://detoxinista.com/2014/02/vegan-cauliflower-pizza-crust/

Either way, you'll need to get as much moisture as possible out of your vegetable.

There's about 300 calories from almond meal in this recipe, so depending on how big your crust turns out it could be lighter on calories.

Def a lot less heavy on cals. Thank you! Was thinking to squeeze lots of moisture out so i dont have to use as much flour, this recipe shows it works.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yes to wringing out the moisture - for even the cauliflower crusts, its a good idea to dump the cauliflower into a clean dish towel and wring the bejeezus out of it. Its amazing how much liquid you can eliminate this way.