New and Desperate

Options
I am new and have struggled with losing weight my whole life. I want to finally lose weight once and for all, but I have ZERO motivation after so many past failures. I really need to get my booty in gear.

Replies

• change_happens
    Options
    Hi, there! welcome! you can do it! You have already taken the first step!
  • Girlbirder
    Girlbirder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place! I have only been doing this for 6 weeks, and it is the first time I have lost weight for 6 consecutive weeks, which considering I was a member of a slimming group for 3 years, is quite an achievement!
  • OElleBelleO
    OElleBelleO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Seems like you had the motivation to join. Just don't forget to surround yourself with people who will support you. :)
  • larimarless
    Options
    Hello. Know how you feel. Think of it as a fresh start. Don't "programme" yourself to fail. Things that work for me are, Fruit for breakfast, Stay away from refined grain products,fast foods,whole pizzas,most breads. Read labels.
    The best thing is to eat simply, then you are in control.
    This is my third try at weight loss. Managed twice to lose quite a bit, then it slowly came back.
    It is said that losing the weight is the easiest, keeping it off is harder!
    Best of luck to you, and remember, you male that luck!
  • cauttero
    cauttero Posts: 14
    Options
    I was in the same position last August. I weighed 335 pounds and my diabetes was dangerously out of control. A trip to the emergency room and an night in the hospital convinced me that it was time to do something or DIE. Since then, with the help of MyFitnessPal, I've lost 80 pounds - and still losing. In February, I bought a bike and ride at least 6-7 miles every day. My blood is now normal, I have no diabetic symptoms and I'm off of all diabetic medication, including the insulin they sent me home with from the hospital.

The first thing you have to do is to religiously log every thing you eat. This is the key to losing weight, along with calorie and portion control. For starters, try limiting yourself to 1800 calories a day. That's actually a lot of food. I've been living well on 1200-1500 a day and I manage three good meals because I make smart choices.

You should definitely see a doctor and get evaluated. I also went to a nutritionist.

No on is saying it's going to be easy, but if you just take it one meal at a time, you can do it and soon it will become routine. As for motivation, no one can provide that except yourself. It took a crisis to finally motivate me after spending all my life overweight. I'm 58 now. All I can tell you that my life is so much better now. Yes, it's still a daily struggle with temptation, but you learn that it's OK to feel hunger now and then. Every day you learn something to keep you going.

There are lots of successful people here who will cheer you on.

Good luck. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Bob C.