Need motivation? Here are a couple of ideas that work for me :)

Options
I never, ever want to go back to my old unhealthy self!

But I am human and just like everyone else I have days where I just don't wanna...

Sometimes I feel like life in general was so much easier when I just didn't care about what or how much of something I was shoving into my mouth. I relish the days of eating a large steak and cheese sub with everything on it, and a bag of chips and a large coke and maybe even some fries with that... and then just laying on the couch like a blob and without a care in the world! LOL!

We all have our breaking points and I had mine. Like a lot of people I tentatively and skeptically entered the world of fitness, nutrition and diet. I spent hours doing research and counting calories and it all became an obsession.

Again, I'm human, I still have my struggles but I've never looked back. I've fallen off track here and there but made sure to rally my will power and motivation and get right back on the train.

What has helped me tremendously to stay on track was accountability. Accountability to others, to my group-x instructors, to my fitness buddies and finally to myself.

Over the past two years I have studied hard and I've earned my master nutritional license. It's added pressure to stay motivated and stay fit... let's face it, who is going to trust the services of a nutritionist if their own nutrition isn't in check? Have to walk the walk if you're going to talk the talk.

I continue to join various challenge groups through my gyms, through my instructors and my friends.

I sign up for everything fitness related that I can squeeze in. Tough Mudders, 5K's, fitness challenges, zumba-thon's, spin-a-thons, 30 day cardio challenges, 21 day lifting challenges... you name it, I do it! And when one challenge is coming to an end, I immediately start looking for a new one.

This is what keeps me motivated for a few reasons.

Challenge groups provide real-life support, motivation, inspiration and most of all accountability.

Especially if it's a challenge I have to pay for, I'll be damned if I spend my hard earned money and not complete the challenge! Even things as simple as having a work out buddy. I'd never want to let my friend down, so I get up, brush myself off and meet them at the gym no matter what.

So if you're looking for motivation, try some group-X activities and challenges. It might help. It sure helped me :smile:

I hope I've given you a little inspiration and some cool ideas to continue on with your journey!

Replies

• NicoleMichael62
    NicoleMichael62 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!

I only started my weight loss and fitness journey in June but I do think about how easy it could be to fall back into the old habit of not caring and just loafing on the couch.

My recent 17lbs weight loss has been very encouraging for me to keep going and not waste all the effort I did the last couple of months to get fitter and stronger.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Congratulations on your weight loss so far! Keep up the hard work and keep the motivation levels high! If there ever comes a time you feel like you're running low... reflect back to this post :smile:
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    WTG! I agree that challenges are so helpful. No matter your age. I am 69 and did lots of challenges on MFP. They helped keep me accountable.

I have lost 45 lbs and gone from a size 14 down to a 4 in slacks due to my Fitbit 12000 steps daily. I was doing spin, body combat and body attack at the y but have stopped most of that due to joint issues. I hope I never have to give up my walking. So there is something for every age you are if you are willing to get up off that couch!

Wishing you continued success. Love your change in lifestyle. Mine has changed drastically also.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Right? Challenges are so much fun and they can take one out of their comfort zone with no one who's going to judge!

My very first fitness class was a 45 minute sculpt class in work. I remember being nervous that I looked silly and all kinds of stupid things... like, how was I going to change in the women's locker room, what if I messed up a routine, what if I couldn't do an exercise or lift a weight, what the hell is a burpee anyway? Hahaha... obviously everything worked out and the instructor and my fellow class mates were all so helpful and supportive. And there were all shapes and sizes in there from obese to super fit :smile: