Wahoo Fitness?

Options
Does anybody here use any Wahoo Fitness products? I am thinking about buying the TIKR heart rate monitor. Are you happy with your product? Apps? Just curious what other's experiences are. Thank you for your comments! :)

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Most people seem pretty happy with them for the most part. Their RFLKT can be hit or miss, probably depends in part on your phone.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The ELEMNT looks really cool. I'm not spending $400 on a bike computer, but still looks cool.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades -thanks, and the North Cascades are some of my favorite cascades!
    @scorpio516 - I know! I just wanted a heart rate monitor, but then I saw the add for the ELEMENT with the Indoor trainer- you can do a ride, then the GPS record can be transferred to the trainer to mimic the hills and descents of the real ride. My brain just exploded. So cool, and prices to match.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    That sounds incredibly cool.

A lot of people are using "smart trainers" these days, where you give it some kind of ride file like from a GPS record or whatever, and the resistance on your trainer changes to match. You can hook it up to a TV or a monitor or even a digital projector and you can see the hills coming up. Even other riders around you.

If you're doing this for exercise, you can get a much better ride on a trainer than outdoors because you don't have to deal with traffic and lights and flat tires and everything else.

I've never done it but it sounds incredibly cool. I used to have a set of rollers, I'd take them outside in the winter. I'd ride on my walkway in the rain - at least when I was done I didn't have miles to get home, I'd just go inside, shower, and put dry clothes on. We all bike for different reasons and cabin fever is a big part of mine. But this is getting so advanced, I should probably give it a try.

You've probably heard of Zwift, right?
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I use their Tickr Run, I have their Rflkt, [and it was hit and miss for me with a Samsung phone] I have their Speed Sensor [Hub Mounted] and Cadence Sensor [Crank Mounted] on my mountain bike. And I have used their BlueSC. I am a huge fan of Wahoo Fitness products.

I really liked their Wahoo Fitness Tracker App before I got embedded into the Garmin Connect eco-system.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    I had no idea! All this tech has been off my radar! Ten years ago I searched high and low for something like Zwift, and found nothing. I haven't looked since. I've never done any training indoors. I have no urge to, but it would be the only way for me to train for a long early-season ride. I dream of riding up Mt. Haleakala in Maui (10K' in 40 miles) in March. Would have to train indoors to not be riding in the dark every day!
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @CincyNeid - do you have issues with the TICKR and your phone or just the RFLKT? I had a LOT of issues with my Samsung phone. I just got a new one which so far has proved to be amazing, but it's still Android so there may be issues either way.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    The Tickr connects to my phone perfectly and works perfectly. In fact I really liked the Cadences and Smoothness readings I would get when paired to their Wahoo Fitness Tracker app....when I was riding. I'm running in a 14K run tomorrow morning and will be using it tomorrow.

I had issues between the Rflkt and the Samsung phone. Now I will admit that was with a Note 3, which is several years old. I have not tried it with my S 6 Edge.

Wahoo doesn't seem to like Android as much as they like Apple. I have a feeling I know why, but IMHO they should still support the flagship phones.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @CincyNeid good to know, thank you! I love the HRM I have with my Sigma bike commuter, but it only talks to the bike computer and I am looking for something to use with more sports and can give me time spent in heart rate zones.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If you're doing this for exercise, you can get a much better ride on a trainer than outdoors because you don't have to deal with traffic and lights and flat tires and everything else.

And you can get more efficient training rides inside too. It's a lot easier to do something like a 2x20 on a trainer with all the variables controlled, even power output. No worrying if you're going to hit a hill in 15 minutes and screw up everything.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    @CincyNeid good to know, thank you! I love the HRM I have with my Sigma bike commuter, but it only talks to the bike computer and I am looking for something to use with more sports and can give me time spent in heart rate zones.

All of Wahoo's HRMs are "dual band" (Bluetooth and ANT+) which keeps your options open. They'll talk to your phone and you can use an app like Strava or anything else you like, and get a time-in-zones breakdown. They'll also talk to Garmin's bike computers and running watches if you decide to go that route. If you change your mind at some point down the line you won't have to buy a new chest strap.

18014354829_9b2b72ef46_o_d.jpg
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use the tickr, and have been generally really happy with it. My watch (which I use for all things other than cycling) is bluetooth but my cycling computer and my setup for my indoor trainer (Zwift) is ANT+, this will connect to both which is really handy. I have also recent bought their cycling speed and cadence sensors but not yet fitted them.

I don't personally use the apps at all, so no comments there, probably depends a bit what you want to use it for. But the fact that the tickr connects to your phone gives you heaps of options there (Strava, Polarbeat, etc) if you found you weren't happy with their app. And dual band ANT+/bluetooth means down the track if you purchased a fitness watch or something you don't have to worry about what that uses, as others have said.

I will note that my first tickr died after about 13 months - I was having issues on and off with it reading really wrong, I think about 1/3 of what my actual HR was. I tried different straps, cleaning it and changing the battery but it was definitely the transmitter. That said, I bought another one anyway. I use it a lot (probably average 15+ hours/week wearing it) so in my opinion it stood up to it pretty well!
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @NorthCascades nice display! That is exactly what I am looking for! Sadly, Sigma doesn't play with others and Pebble developers are keeping their Bluetooth support to phones only. I love my Pebble, but I like that I can get the TICKR and it will work with Garmin if I decide later on to get one. That display is perfect.

@daweasel I ordered my TICKR today! I get it Tuesday! Excited!
  • NCBWilliams673
    NCBWilliams673 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have just got a wahoo tickr x, but I cannot get it to send the activity data to myfitnesspal.The workout data will show up in the bottom part of UA Record dashboard, but not in the main wheel. I am going to try recording my workout using UA Record as the primary app next time instead of wahoo fitness and see if that helps, since UA record will recognize the TICKR X for heart beat. I bought a Polar H7 at the same time. I am waiting to see which I like better. The TICKR X has more capabilities and has internal memory, but it is not listed as a device in either app and neither is wahoo fitness as an app to share with. Wahoo TICKR is listed under apps and devices, but trying to use it does not work for the TICKR X. MFP has Polar Flow, but not the newer Polar Beat and UA Record only lists the ambiguous "Polar" under apps and devices I don't know how I would use the Wahoo 7 minute workout. LOL. 2much tech.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @sheldonwilliams2726 I use my TICKR X every day now and it's been great! I record my workout using the Wahoo Fitness app then when I finish I export workout to mfp using "sharing" on the Wahoo app. mfp always thinks everything I do on Wahoo is a "walk" but I don't care, the burn is accurate. No idea about UA record or Polar stuff, haven't used those.
  • NCBWilliams673
    Options
    Thank you, Amandaeve. I looked into what u said and I t is working better now. In addition, I found if I share with MapMyFitness it sends to both MFP and UA Record, which gives me a good variety of ways to see the data.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    Nice!
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use the TIKR HRM I have had it connected to the Wahoo Fitness app, the Strava app, the Polar beat app, the Polar M400, V800, the Garmin FR 230/235the Suunto Ambit 2R and 3 Peak with no problems. Bluetooth / Ant+ connectivity is great no matter the platform.

The only complaint I have is a little chafing while wearing the HRM strap and my Nathan hydration pack. GREAT HRM STRAP BUY, BUY, BUY!!!!!!!!
  • NCBWilliams673
    Options
    Could you explain how you got the the tickr to be recognized by the polar beat app? I like the fat burn feature but i could not get it to recognize my tickr x. I thought it only recognized other polar devices. Thanks.

Also, I use my tickr with UA record which has the five zone vs burn and burst. Actually I run them both st the same time. UA record on my Apple Watch and wahoo on my phone, then I delete the UA record one afterwards so I don't have duplicate workouts in UA record and MFP. UA record tends to flake out on the graph at higher heart rates ( over 150) for some reason.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure if the sensor is talking through Bluetooth it will only talk to one device and I'm guessing 1 app at a time. Where if it's ant plus it will talk to any device in range