Family Gatherings

Options
Hello,

My family still eat the same unhealthy, high calorie, hight fat foods at family gatherings. Do any of you take your own food to such events? Do they consider that rude? Do you are?

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Unless you have food allergies or want to make something for everyone, I wouldn't take food to the event.

Just eat what you want to at the event, less than you would if you want to stay under your calorie goal, as much as you want if you just want to. One day won't ruin The entire progress.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I eat light before events like these and make sure I get my exercise in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You could take something, but I wouldn't just take a whole meal for yourself, that's a bit rude.

I tend to 'save' calories from Monday - Thursday and my long run calories on a Saturday morning so I can eat more at the weekend.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Can you call the host and let them know you'd like to bring something? Then make something that everyone can eat that's heAlthy. I guarantee that everyone loves it more than all unhealthy high calorie stuff.
  • meunse01
    meunse01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've have been trying for years, only to be met with resistance. I send them healthier recipes and offer to cook. We could all be healthier. It can be hurtful and frustrating that I don't have their support. They still prefer Paula Deen recipes.
  • stuhldreier
    stuhldreier Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised you're met with resistance. Who likes to be told how to eat and live in their own home?
    You do what you need to do (save the calories from the day before or train them off later), and let them do what they want to. They may change when they're good and ready, or they may not.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Really depends on people! We have an annual cookout at my house and I have no problem cooking something just for someone who can't eat that I'm making. It's also a bit of a "potluck" where most people bring something, so bringing something "healthy for you" isn't a big deal. But we are pretty laid back, it's not a formal family dinner.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    meunse01 wrote: »
    I've have been trying for years, only to be met with resistance. I send them healthier recipes and offer to cook. We could all be healthier. It can be hurtful and frustrating that I don't have their support. They still prefer Paula Deen recipes.

Stop trying to change them... just do you.
  • PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I agree with the others.... you can't force them to change so don't try. Best thing you can do is lead by example. If someone wants to change after seeing your success they will come to you for help.
    I try to eat before events that way I'm honestly not hungry and what little room I have I can save for a small amount of something that catches my eye. For potlucks I bring a healthy dish to share. For sit down dinners I just kind of pick at my plate and eat a little of this and and little of that. If I think the host will be offended when they ask why I didn't eat their food I just lie and say everything is delicious but I have an upset stomach lol
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    So I'm a vegetarian in a family of ravenous carnivores who like junk food. They are pretty judgemental of my lifestyle but hey ho that's family, they mean well and are convinced I will die without steak. I tend to have a nice healthy meal about an hour before I'm due to visit a family gathering, so when I arrive I have a very small serving of whatever is there I can eat if they remember to make me something and that way I don't look impolite if they have made me something and they don't feel bad if they forgot. But I guess it depends on your family and what they're like.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Bring a dish of healthy food you can eat to share. But really, you can't push people to be healthy. Just do you.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, butter.....who doesn't love the Paula Deen recipes? If you only get together once in a while, then just eat healthy before you go and take tiny portions. There is no changing other people, food wise or life wise.
  • meunse01
    Options

Stop trying to change them... just do you.

Wise words. Thank you.
  • meunse01
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the wise words. I told my mother I was going to bring my own meal to Labor Day and she cancelled the Labor Day festivities. Maybe I should have just showed up with the food.
    :(
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For my mom's birthday, they had pizza and birthday cake. I ate two slices instead of my usual four and then took a slice of cake and discreetly threw it away when no one was looking. Also, take smaller portions and bring a vegetable tray to nibble on for an appetizer.