Options
    03kan7p2icmu.jpeg
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    DanerTee wrote: »
    Pfft. When I first started dieting I was told to give up coffee and the weight would come off faster. I didn't question it and dropped it for the longest time along with soda. It worked, but I found that the problem wasn't coffee, it was the ton of processed sugar and creamers I was using that I wasn't logging. Now I drink it black with stevia for sweetener, and find it beneficial still. I drink it less, because honestly I like the creamers and sugar, but this way it's an energy boost and has 0 calories. Helps me keep my metabolism going. However, I still don't drink it past noon each day, because if I do, I won't sleep at night.

Do you find that stevia has a terrible after taste? I drink my coffee black, but popped some stevia in my Americano once and had to dump it, it was so vile!

I can't use Stevia for that reason. (And I've pinpointed it as something that may be giving me headaches). I tried Truvia in a cup of coffee once, and it had a horrible aftertaste and also kind of made my mouth tingle. For a moment, I was worried that maybe someone had left some kind of cleaning fluid in our coffeemaker.

I love Stevia. I even cook with it at times. :)

I know a few people with similar issues as I have, but SO MANY more that have no problem with Stevia. I just chalk it up to "oh well, that's my own personal biology being cranky" and then forget about it :)
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Give up coffee?!?! Good God, I hope not! There is no life without coffee, chocolate and cheese. Not necessarily in that order.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You do not have to give up coffee. Coffee is a diruetic (sp?) though - so you have to be careful how many - but 1-2 a day will NOT hurt you in any way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am an odd duck as I only started to "make time" for coffee once in my 30s. I now have between 0-3 cups a day depending on if I feel like making it or not. My 12yo started loving coffee when he was 10. I limit him to 1-2 cups but it seems to focus his (undiagnosed) ADD tendencies, and it also seems to work with his asthma medications in a positive way.

Funny story: I bought a used espresso machine and taught him how to use it. It makes fairly decent shots. I was really hoping he would use his newfound skills to bring me my first cup on Saturday mornings. Haha! I got home from work one day during summer vacay to find he had mowed, weedwacked, dusted, run the dishwasher, organized his brothers into some jobs, and was looking for more to do. We had to have a big talk about keeping his espresso practice making to the morning hours, and only one cup a day. He had had 3!

Haha! I have a 12yo with ADHD and some mornings I just wish he'd drink a *kitten* coffee!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You do not have to give up coffee. Coffee is a diruetic (sp?) though - so you have to be careful how many - but 1-2 a day will NOT hurt you in any way.

No, it's not really. It only has a diuretic effect on people who don't normally consume caffeine. For those of us who regularly partake it's not a problem. (Source)

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread made me sad and scared. If I could get coffee intravenously safely, I would.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I have a coffee maker, all I have to do is..... shout "babe, make me a coffee" and with in a few mins it just appears in front of me.
    now i know some people like to refere to him as my husband but I defo think coffee maker has a better ring to it lol
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and only started drinking coffee this year, I've been a tea drinker all my life. I find having 2-3 cups of coffee in the afternoon give me a pep and help get rid of the afternoon (unnecessary) munchies.
    My husband says i talk too much after a couple of cups :lol:
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the student life... coffee is my blood! One of the things I study in school is health science, and one of the things we learn is to read ALL of those types of articles extremely critically. More often then not they are exaggerated or just completely false. When you read these things, ask yourself: Who performed these studies? What were the results? What is the background of the researcher? Who funded the studies? Are they biased?. Coffee is one of those things where articles (that have little scientific foundation) are published all the time claiming opposite results. I've heard coffee helps prevent cancer, I heard that it causes cancer, I've heard that you live longer if you drink one a day, I heard that you die sooner if you drink 2 a day... it's ridiculous! Don't listen to them. It probably isn't the best if you put a cup of sugar in your coffee, but coffee is natural and fine to drink. Did you know that humans are exposed to "background" radiation on a daily basis? Radiation has been shown to cause cancer. Honestly, I'd say that has a higher chance of resulting in cancer than coffee does :p
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Absolute nonsense, I drink black coffee during my fasting window, it's a god send and great for appetite suppression, coffee is full of antioxidants too.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    In a word, no.
  • alienws1998
    alienws1998 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee (and energy) drinks in massive quantity, I've lost almost 20 pounds in 2 months. So no you do not have to give it up. As for the articles, quit reading them. Science and medicine changes all the time, look at eggs and butter? In the late 70s & early 80s, eggs and butter were looked at as evil. Black coffee is only like 50 calories a cup and no carbs, so watch the stuff you put in it (sugar, creamers etc) and you'll be fine. Hit me up if you want the bpc recipe I use, it tastes great and is better for you than commercial creamers or the overpriced crap you get at Starbucks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee (and energy) drinks in massive quantity, I've lost almost 20 pounds in 2 months. So no you do not have to give it up. As for the articles, quit reading them. Science and medicine changes all the time, look at eggs and butter? In the late 70s & early 80s, eggs and butter were looked at as evil. Black coffee is only like 50 calories a cup and no carbs, so watch the stuff you put in it (sugar, creamers etc) and you'll be fine. Hit me up if you want the bpc recipe I use, it tastes great and is better for you than commercial creamers or the overpriced crap you get at Starbucks.

@alienws1998 Well then you'll be happy to know that you can drink even more coffee guilt free, because one cup of black coffee is around 2 calories, not 50 :smiley:

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Hopefully not coffee and energy drinks in "massive quantities" reputable sources will tell you to limit caffeine to 400 mg a day
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If I had to stop drinking coffee, I don't think my coworkers would allow me in the door at work anymore...heh..
    I think the problem is more about adding a bunch of high calorie stuff to your coffee, instead of drinking it the way it comes out of the pot...
  • alienws1998
    alienws1998 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Hopefully not coffee and energy drinks in "massive quantities" reputable sources will tell you to limit caffeine to 400 mg a day

4-6 Monsters/RockStars (the low carb ones that only have 2-6 carbs per can) plus 3 or 4 cups of coffee