Could You Take A Look At My Diary?

Options
Hey all,

I'm very new to all of this. I've been tying to eat more healthily the last three or four days and was wondering if someone with more experience might be able to look at my diary and point me in the right direction.
I'm not vegetarian by any means but don't eat meat very often which is why it doesn't pop up in my diary very much.
I'm currently very overweight and am trying to better my health and fitness.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?

If so, you should weigh everything except for liquids.

The reason I ask is because in your diary, you have something logged as 'one medium banana' and that is very arbitrary in terms of what the calorie count is. Your medium may not be the same as my medium.

As long as you plugged your numbers into MFP, gave yourself a reasonable goal (no losing 2lbs/week if you only have 10lbs to lose), then you can eat whatever you want as long as you are accurate with measuring and weighing.
  • JasperPaige
    JasperPaige Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a scale :) It should be here on Monday. I was frustrated with the same thing but until I have one I figure a "medium banana" will have to do :P
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I think your diary looks wonderful. A lot of good whole healthy food choices :smile: I don't know what your stats are or what your ultimate goal or calorie target is so I can't comment on that but... yeah sure. I noticed the "medium banana" as well, but I also noticed that it indicated the weight in grams so... way to go!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a scale :) It should be here on Monday. I was frustrated with the same thing but until I have one I figure a "medium banana" will have to do :P

Awesome. A food scale is a great tool, no matter how you eat. Once you get that and start measuring your food, you will have a better idea of what fits with your goals.

For example, if you really like something but the calorie count is really high - just have a smaller portion of it and bulk out the rest of your meal with low calorie things such as vegetables.

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    As @cushman5279 noted, your food choices are great. Some good nutritional variety in there. You're making good choices!

The thing that stood out to me is how you came up very short earlier in the week and went over yesterday. Not killer by any means as you get used to this and find what works for you but you'll want to gain some consistency as you continue kicking butt with tracking.

Fist bump for taking the step and being so consistent. Once you see traction, this becomes really, really fun. Keep it up!
  • JasperPaige
    JasperPaige Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive energy :) I definitely appreciate it. I think the hardest thing right now for me is finding variety. I like simple recipes that don't take too much time, as my roommates (5 in total!) keep the kitchen sort of cluttered. Any suggestions of fun easy to make meals?
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    Options
    Thanks for the positive energy :) I definitely appreciate it. I think the hardest thing right now for me is finding variety. I like simple recipes that don't take too much time, as my roommates (5 in total!) keep the kitchen sort of cluttered. Any suggestions of fun easy to make meals?

I started out on Pinterest and have discovered a blogger whose recipes usually work for me. I play with her yields and occasionally change out her ingredients. I don't think I can share links here though so not sure if I can name the blog? Anyhow I also look through recipe sites and see what appeals. And then when I plan out my meals I will have some go-tos and then maybe try a few new ones each week. Some are not successful and some stay in the rotation.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Diced apple, can of tuna, 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil Mayo and 10 chopped walnuts or almonds. Blend. Bam: Apple Tuna salad that is surprisingly delicious. Feeling dicey- chop up a celery stalk or some red onion.

380 calories or less (depending on your mayo choice).

Easiest. Recipe. Evers.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dano consistency is the key- wed thurs look great if there acurate
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I see that you like to snack...which I am totally a snacker! I would just suggest adjusting your snacks. Not sure when you are eating these, if it's all at once or spread out. One thing that I have done (and is working for me) is I have a morning snack and afternoon snack but my meals are lower in calories as well. And my snacks are based around vegetables/hummus/whole grains/etc. I also look at lower sugar content when it comes to fruits.

Also, measure out your snacks and put them in individual containers or ziplocs. This helps so when you grab a snack, you aren't as tempted to to eat the whole bag or the whole thing...unless that's veggies! :smiley: I measure my hummus or dips and everything.

Also keep an eye on your macros.

This is just something I've done that helps me. You find what works best for you.
  • GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Since you asked for recipes, I figured I'd throw my favorite blog out there..http://cookieandkate.com
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're pretty consistently low on protein, and don't have a definite calorie goal.

Getting enough protein makes a huge difference in whether when you lose weight you get a body composition you're happy with, or end up skinny fat. Some days you're on the upper end, while others you're really low (less than 50). Beans are a decent source, as are nuts since you said you don't eat a ton of meat. A decent protein powder could work too.

As far as your calories, you're kind of all over the place here as well. If your 2k/day is based off of whatever it is you entered for your goal, you should try to stick to that (you mentioned being significantly overweight, so 2k might be a pretty large deficit for you).

I'd say add in more protein (probably close to 100g/day), then fill in the rest to hit closer to 2k calories.
    Being consistent is how you're able to tweak and make changes when necessary. I'm usually within +/- 100 of whatever my calorie total is (and I've changed that about once per month), based on progress.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're making pretty healthy choices! I do recommend that you add a bit more variety to your diet. I only went a few days back in your diary but for the most part it looks like you eat almost the same thing every day. Add more variety to your diet, (some new/different veggies, more fruit, some beans for fiber and protein) it will keep you interested, (people who eat the same thing every day are more likely to binge) and you'll get more/different vitamins and minerals from your diet.