Do I need to work out?

Options
So I lost 2 lbs my first day, and another 1.5lbs on day 2; Without any exercise, weight training or cardio at all.

I'm currently 326lbs.

I kinda feel like exercise isn't necessary for me at my current weight loss rate.

I'm thinking about waiting until my diet plateaus, before adding exercise and I don't think I will lose a bunch more by doing extra anyway.

Can I get some advice?

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You don't -have- to. My husband is about 50lbs heavier. He's just relying on calorie reduction, exercise will just help you maintain your muscles.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    No, you do not have to work out. A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up, you lose without exercise. Think of it more for fitness and body composition.

FYI, your loss will slow down in the coming weeks. It's common to lose a lot of water weight at the beginning.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise at all to lose weight. I do it because I like to eat the calories I earn.

Also, echoing that your loss will slow down in a few days. You can't sustain a 1lb/day loss, so don't get discouraged when you drop to 2lbs/week.
  • wally2wiki
    wally2wiki Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Great advice guys! Let's get beers tonight!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Exercise is more for fitness than weight loss. At your current weight, I suspect that you would benefit from improved strength & endurance. Exercise also helps minimize muscle loss during weight loss. It has helped me tremendously.
  • SahilSiddiqui
    SahilSiddiqui Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No, you do not have to work out. A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight.

• SahilSiddiqui
    SahilSiddiqui Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry for triple quoting - phone issues but I have to agree to disagree, you do have to workout in order to maintain a tight skin else eventually due to calorie reduction your skin will become elastic and you will want go back in time and fix your issue. Follow a deficit and do compound movements 3x a week rep range 4-6 and don't forget to do cardio 3x a week, just plain walk. (Totally optional) BUT you have to lift.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without but I think excersise makes the journey easier. The more muscle you have the more you burn even when resting. Also it helps with loose skin and tone. Obviously you have more calories to eat back if you like and also good for general fitness and well-being. It releases endorphins.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You are already predicting that you will be in a diet plateau? You know plateaus really do not exist if you 100% in a calorie deficit to lose weight?

Next, if you do not want to exercise at all, or do it when you feel the weight loss has slowed, certainly fine, Exercise is a personal preference (not matter what or how you do it) but the main thing about exercise, do that for overall health. Exercise should complement your diet and lifestyle.

IF you really want to reap the full rewards of your weight loss, do your muscle a favor and lift some weights. Also you can sprinkle in some cardio if you want to.. Preserving your muscle mass through weight loss should be a very high priority.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Well what do you want to accomplish? If you just want weight loss then no exercise isn't necessary. If you eventually want health and fitness then yeah excercise is necessary.

Yeah, if you want to be healthy you need to exercise (goes for anyone). Being able to move is a gift.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    No harm in starting gentle exercise. Walking is great easy to do and free. It's also great for your mental health too. Start with a small goal and expand from there
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There is a saying that you lose weight in the kitchen not in the gym. Or You lose weight in the kitchen but gain health in the gym. It's been very true for me. There are so many other benefits to exercise. Mentally, exercise keeps me on course and shows me how amazing my body is and how lucky I am to be able to move and run. It's awesome to lose weight on the scale but there was no better feeling than crossing the finish line at a 5k race that I ran the whole way. When I was 300 pounds, I could only jog very slowly 1 minute at a time. Exercise made my journey even better and it still plays a big role in keeping my weight off. Good luck on your journey!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for your health, I would get in the habit of doing some on a regular basis as soon as possible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. But what I will tell you is that the less you use muscle, the more it atrophies and the lower your metabolic rate will drop, slowing weight loss for sometimes months if you're a very heavy individual. Losing weight without exercise puts less stress on the muscles that use to carry that weight, so they will atrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Exercising helps with many things - heart health and all round well-being being two big helps. The reason why I exercise is to allow myself more calories in a day (I love food!). Having said that, it is absolutely NOT essential to exercise to lose weight. It is all about the amount of calories you consume. Eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight. You may find as you get closer to your 'goal', you'll want to introduce some exercise to help the process :) I'm not an expert - but this is what I found from personal experience. Good luck and well done so far.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    OP: As others have said, while you can lose weight by just eating less, I know of no recommended weight loss program that does not also include some form of exercise, be it cardio, weight lifting and/or something else.

If you don't exercise, I do not think you can "tone" your body. You'll weigh less but you'll be a weak and out of shape and will probably possess a lot of loose/flabby skin.

Doing cardio improves your respiratory and circulatory systems resulting in a lower HR, lower BP, reduced BF and better respiration. Lifting weights improves your strength and provides the muscle tone and definition that will be reveals as soon as the BF goes away. You really should not do one w/o the other if you want to re-sculpt your body.

Of course, you can avoid doing cardio and lifting but the only change you'll probably see will be on the scale and my guess is that you'll still be unhappy w/the appearance of your body.

For a person your size, I think the show "Biggest Loser" would be most instructive. No one on that program just eats less to become the person they are at the end of the show. They eat less and put in A LOT of work doing cardio and lifting to change the way they look.

If that is your ambition, then you just need to commit yourself to doing the work necessary to achieve it. If not, then, while you may weigh less, your body will still be compromised. Your choice. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    So I lost 2 lbs my first day, and another 1.5lbs on day 2; Without any exercise, weight training or cardio at all.

I'm currently 326lbs.

I kinda feel like exercise isn't necessary for me at my current weight loss rate.

I'm thinking about waiting until my diet plateaus, before adding exercise and I don't think I will lose a bunch more by doing extra anyway.

Can I get some advice?

You don't have to exercise. Calorie deficit is all you need. Eat less and/or move more to achieve it.

The beauty of added exercise is active people burn more calories. This is a great lifestyle change for maintenance. As you become a smaller person your calorie needs go down. Exercise can provide a little bit of cushion.

Plus exercise is great for your health. I don't want to be skinny & flabby. I want to be trim & fit.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You are already predicting that you will be in a diet plateau? You know plateaus really do not exist if you 100% in a calorie deficit to lose weight?

Heh. You're funny. :D