Weight Watchers?

Options
Thinking about joining. Any opinions/insights? Good and bad both appreciated

Replies

• cjjoly1952
    cjjoly1952 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I go to weight watchers meetings because I need to be accountable to someone. I actually have made goal at weigh watchers and thought I could do it online only. Nope! I just can't do it by myself.
    I would be willing to help you along on here if you want.
    Good luck what ever you choose.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I found the new program to be impossible. On the old program I lost 40 lbs and I loved it. The meetings are great IF you have a good leader. The new program is so restrictive though - I just couldn't do it and was just throwing away money. Much more successful on MFP - and it is free!
  • missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah I to have finally admitted I just can't do it by myself. Hadn't worked yet. I think the structure of meetings and such will help hold me accountable as well.
    cjjoly1952 wrote: »
    I go to weight watchers meetings because I need to be accountable to someone. I actually have made goal at weigh watchers and thought I could do it online only. Nope! I just can't do it by myself.
    I would be willing to help you along on here if you want.
    Good luck what ever you choose.

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    If you think that anyone but yourself can hold you accountable, you are,unfortunately sadly mistaken. I believe you can sit into one meeting without being a paid up member ... so go to a meeting and see how it feels to you.

I did WW 3 times. The first was in 1973 and I learned a great deal about nutrition and balanced foods. The last was in 2008 when the office I worked allowed WW to hold meetings after hours in the cafeteria for 12 weeks. I lost some weight both times.
  • missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    If you think that anyone but yourself can hold you accountable, you are,unfortunately sadly mistaken. I believe you can sit into one meeting without being a paid up member ... so go to a meeting and see how it feels to you.

I did WW 3 times. The first was in 1973 and I learned a great deal about nutrition and balanced foods. The last was in 2008 when the office I worked allowed WW to hold meetings after hours in the cafeteria for 12 weeks. I lost some weight both times.

I'm "sadly mistaken"? There's several less rude ways to say that (like not at all). I'm tired of tired of seeing people talk down to other people on these community things. We're suppose to support each other not talk to people like their stupid. You don't think that I don't know at the end of the day I'm the one responsible for my own success, that no one else is going to do this for me but me? All I meant was I feel I need some help and obviously you did too or you wouldn't of join them... Twice!!
    Thank you for your insight, it's good to know that I may be able to sit in on a free meeting and feel it out. That will definitely help me decide if it's for me or not.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    \
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    If you think that anyone but yourself can hold you accountable, you are,unfortunately sadly mistaken.

There was a Weight Watchers at Work program at my campus, and I could pay for it through payroll deduction. Bonus was that our wellness program would reimburse us half if we attended every meeting in the 12-week series. So it was a good deal, and I reached my goal weight, so now I'm a Lifetime member and can go to meetings free

And yes, while it is true that only *I* am responsible and accountable for what goes into my mouth, I *DO* find the encouragement and support that I get from people experiencing similar struggles highly motivating, and knowing that I'm not alone and that I will see some of those people again in a week or two *does* in fact make me feel like I am accountable to them. So it works for me.

Oh, and I don't use the new point system-- I just track on MFP instead. But I *do* go to meetings about once a month for t weigh-in and for the support.

• AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I tried a Weight Watchers program at work also, for a few months in early 2014.

What I liked:
    They taught some good tips about nutrition and managing hunger cues, getting more active, etc. I didn't count points but did what I think they called the "quick start" plan. This is a focus on selecting "whole" foods like lean protein, whole grains, lots of veggies & fruit. I stopped WW after the 3 month program ended at work, but kept up with the quick start plan and made other small changes in eating/activity. Lost 35 lbs that year.

What I didn't like:
    I pinned a lot of hopes on this WW at work program; I was sure that the group support was what I needed. But it turns out that I am not comfortable sharing my personal weight struggles with my co-workers. I didn't really like the group leader...just didn't care for her style. But most importantly for me, I felt like there was too much emphasis on losing weight quickly. Those who lost the most each week (even unhealthy amounts) were celebrated. I was aiming for slow but steady and my 1/2 lb to 1 lb weekly loss was greeted with an attitude of "you'll do better next week".

I started to plateau in early 2015 with my "Do it yourself" version of WW quick start, and then I started to see my weight creep up a few pounds.

Then I stumbled upon MyFitnessPal, and thought I'd give it a try. Started by just logging weight, then added weighing/logging food over the next few weeks. Plugged my numbers & goals into MFP and followed the calorie guidance it gave me.

And it worked! Holy crap did it work. I lost 55 lbs in the next 8 months and reached my goal weight of 135! I have maintained for a year now.

It wasn't easy...that's for sure. Lord how I love to eat and drink - LOL. But for the first time ever, I felt like I had the knowledge and tools I needed to get my eating under control in a healthy way. I track my weight almost every day and I input my exercise here too.

That was my experience. I wish you much success on whatever path you choose! You can do it!