Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How the Sugar Industry Shaped Heart Disease Research

Options
13»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Balanced Diet
    noun
    1. a diet consisting of the proper quantities and proportions of foods needed to maintain health or growth.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/balanced-diet

I don't think there is a clear definition of balanced. Who sets the "proper quantities and proportions" of foods? See what I mean? According to this I have a balanced diet. When I was gaining weight after developing insulin resistance, I ate a wider variety of foods but perhaps it was not balanced since I was not maintaining my health - it was going downhill.

A "balanced diet" is one of those health terms that I think should be used much less frequently.

The WHO for example sets ranges of balanced nutrients.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Balanced Diet
    noun
    1. a diet consisting of the proper quantities and proportions of foods needed to maintain health or growth.

I don't think there is a clear definition of balanced. Who sets the "proper quantities and proportions" of foods? See what I mean? According to this I have a balanced diet. When I was gaining weight after developing insulin resistance, I ate a wider variety of foods but perhaps it was not balanced since I was not maintaining my health - it was going downhill.

A "balanced diet" is one of those health terms that I think should be used much less frequently.

To my knowledge the term balanced diet started with the antiquated four food groups and meant that the diet contained all food groups. Although the term has evolved whenever I hear dietitians speak of balanced diets they do not include restrictive diets like low fat and low carb.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Balanced Diet
    noun

Hmm. The WHO... I don't place much stock in their advice. They are very middle of road, don't rock the boat sort of guidelines. IMO.
    Balanced Diet
    noun

To my knowledge the term balanced diet started with the antiquated four food groups and meant that the diet contained all food groups. Although the term has evolved whenever I hear dietitians speak of balanced diets they do not include restrictive diets like low fat and low carb.

That may be where it came from. I just don't agree with calling nonessential foods, and frequently less healthy foods, as part of a balanced diet. Seems it would throw it out of balance. But yes, the term probaby came from the four foods groups of yester year.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Balanced Diet
    noun

Hmm. The WHO... I don't place much stock in their advice. They are very middle of road, don't rock the boat sort of guidelines. IMO.
    Balanced Diet
    noun

That may be where it came from. I just don't agree with calling nonessential foods, and frequently less healthy foods, as part of a balanced diet. Seems it would throw it out of balance. But yes, the term probaby came from the four foods groups of yester year.

No, it wouldn't throw it out of balance and meats aren't essential foods and are linked to cancer so if you eat those is that out of balance?
  • nvmomketo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Balanced Diet
    noun

Balanced Diet
    noun

No, it wouldn't throw it out of balance and meats aren't essential foods and are linked to cancer so if you eat those is that out of balance?

That's my point. The term "balanced diet" is pretty useless. Completely subjective.

ETA Doesn't one need animal products for naturally occurring B12?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Balanced Diet
    noun

Is this the standard that you follow?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Balanced Diet
    noun

Balanced Diet
    noun

That's my point. The term "balanced diet" is pretty useless. Completely subjective.

I guess we can agree on it being vague at least lol. B12 is produced by bacteria found in soil actually. There are vegans that go their lives without eating meat and don't seem to have issues and there is new evidence that the bacteria that produces it may be found in the small bowel of some people. Fascinating stuff. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7354869

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    girlfriend petting puppies???? What?
  • nvmomketo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LOL
    Balanced Diet
    noun

Balanced Diet
    noun

I guess we can agree on it being vague at least lol. B12 is produced by bacteria found in soil actually. There are vegans that go their lives without eating meat and don't seem to have issues and there is new evidence that the bacteria that produces it may be found in the small bowel of some people. Fascinating stuff. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7354869

Agreed.

That was an interesting link. Perhaps B12 deficiencies are partially due to gut flora being wiped out from antibiotic use. maybe.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Balanced Diet
    noun

I don't know how to interpret this question. Do you dislike the WHO? It's a better standard to follow than random doctor number 352342 who claims everyone else was lying to you and he has the only true answers for just $49.99 (tax not included).

Or do you rather have the USDA guidelines? Also not that different from the WHO ones. Their document on DRIs is 1300 pages long with 800 of those being references and starts with a quote by Goethe, so you know it's gonna be good if you really want to read a dozen pages for every single vitamin and why the DRI for it is what it is.

Unsurprisingly all big health organizations have very similar dietary recommendations. Variety, lots of vegetables, get your essential nutrition but stay within the AMDR, limit added sugars, limit fats with trans and sat fats especially, limit sodium. Basically try not to eat too much foods that are easy to overeat and don't generally provide lots of nutrition because that makes achieving your nutrition goals harder.
    And yeah, that's the kind of standard I try to follow if possible, it's not really rocket science to understand why those are good general recommendations.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Balanced Diet
    noun

I don't know how to interpret this question. Do you dislike the WHO? It's a better standard to follow than random doctor number 352342 who claims everyone else was lying to you and he has the only true answers for just $49.99 (tax not included).

Or do you rather have the USDA guidelines? Also not that different from the WHO ones. Their document on DRIs is 1300 pages long with 800 of those being references and starts with a quote by Goethe, so you know it's gonna be good if you really want to read a dozen pages for every single vitamin and why the DRI for it is what it is.

Unsurprisingly all big health organizations have very similar dietary recommendations. Variety, lots of vegetables, get your essential nutrition but stay within the AMDR, limit added sugars, limit fats with trans and sat fats especially, limit sodium. Basically try not to eat too much foods that are easy to overeat and don't generally provide lots of nutrition because that makes achieving your nutrition goals harder.
    And yeah, that's the kind of standard I try to follow if possible, it's not really rocket science to understand why those are good general recommendations.

Not sure why it was a hard question but I will rephrase. If you view the WHO as a good source of information of moderation, do you align your eating to the WHO guidelines (i.e., limit added sugars to 5%)?
  • stevencloser
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Their guidelines are 10% with 5% having possible additional benefit. And yes, I do by some days having barely any and other days a bit higher so it evens out to about 10% or less. The amount of total snack calories I have in a day is usually barely that much. As do most people who try to calm others not to worry too much about sugar btw.

Also I do find that a weird question. Ketomom asked what is a balanced diet, I provided an organization that tries to answer that particular question, I don't even have to agree with it (though I do). I'm not going around asking every LCHF proponent who tells others about the WHO guidelines if they're keeping their sat fat below 10% as well. I wonder what the answers would be.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    LOL
    Balanced Diet
    noun

Balanced Diet
    noun

Agreed.

That was an interesting link. Perhaps B12 deficiencies are partially due to gut flora being wiped out from antibiotic use. maybe.

I'm not sure but initial gut flora is given to is by our mothers so this might just be a local dietary adaptation.