Sit-Stand desk

Options
2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Our company purchases them for anyone who requests one, and I love it. All I have to do is hold a button and it adjusts high or lower depending on where I want it. I also have a balance board that I like to stand on for periods of time while I'm working just to give my core a little jolt and make me focus more. I highly recommend it if you can afford to!

What brand do you have? I have been looking online and some seem to have mixed reviews. I'd like to get one personally recommended by someone.

My company buys the desks from Steelcase. Probably some of the most expensive stuff out there but very well built.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I love the one I have at work (one of the $2000+ models). If I worked from home, I'd absolutely shell out $500 for one at home.

same here. we just moved offices and everyone has brand new desks like this

they are sick as hell
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I love the one I have at work (one of the $2000+ models). If I worked from home, I'd absolutely shell out $500 for one at home.

same here. we just moved offices and everyone has brand new desks like this

they are sick as hell

I had to get a letter from a doctor to get mine at a large corporation. The ergonomics person I worked with was a contractor who worked with other large companies in the area. She said we were at least 10 years behind in office ergonomics. Other companies around are getting adjustable desks as standard.

If you like it now, you'll love it in a few weeks.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I work 8 - 10 hours in an office every day, and recently converted my desk so that I can sit or stand. Instead of buying a super expensive desk though, I bought an extra-tall monitor mount and an adjustable tray for my keyboard and mouse. Here are the items:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Total cost was less than $100 and it works great. Throw in another $20 for a memory foam mat to stand on, and you're golden.
  • Mizbellum
    Mizbellum Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend trying out a standing desk for a bit before making the purchase. I run the wellness program at my office which includes standing desks. I have found that most people who were begging for a standing desk stopped using it once the novelty wore off, and those that thought it was a stupid idea, are their biggest fans now. We are at the point where we are outgrowing our space very quickly so we don't have the room or budget for everyone to have their own standing desk. We have set up a rotation where people can sign up for a varidesk for 2 weeks periods.

We also put standing desk pods around the office as we are piloting another much cheaper portable option. Take a look at www.oristand.co

Yes it's a cardboard standing desk and everyone laughed at them at first including me. But I spend probably 20-30 minutes a day trying to hunt down whoever stole the oristand from one of the pods and people are begging to get one at their desk that they can pull out when they want it but fold it away when they don't.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    A lot of my coworkers have them, and they used them a lot in the beginning.

Then the novelty seemed to wear off, and I rarely see anyone using them now.

Personally, I get up about once an hour and go for a short walk or climb some stairs or something ... although that said, I trained as a draftsperson (engineering tech) many years ago, and did like the old drafting tables.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options

We all have the Varidesk in my office and we all love them. They make a version that works with 2 monitors - if you don't work in a cubicle with poorly placed overheads then you shouldn't have a problem. The manager who got them actually got them from Skymall because I guess they were less expensive there. Every other office in the company is jealous because we are the only ones that have them.
  • 4whirlygigs4
    4whirlygigs4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NMXBPS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's about $175. I don't have any complaints. I think this brand is also sold at samsclub.com
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Not used personally but the marketing team at our company uses them (luckies). They are super neat! I'd love to have one :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have one at work and love it. Got a shelf for below the monitors to have access when I need to refer to books or spreadsheets or whatnots.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I work from home and this post just inspired me to create my own. I can't afford the expensive ones, so I bought a small tv stand from Ikea which my monitor sits on, and a shelf from the clearance area for my keyboard and mouse. Ran me about $30, and now I have an at home standing desk option :smiley:
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I log "standing at desk, working" 6-10 hours a day. Standing is a MET 2 exercise. At my weight of about 197, it burns a few calories a minute. Your 'standing' muscles will protest and get toned for the activity. Claim it, because it's real. It increases your heart rate about 10 bpm above sitting. Read the benefits at juststand.org. My employer promptly provided the Varidesk at work when I requested it. Today I logged 6 hours, 25 minutes standing, and claimed 318 calories burned from it. In 30 minutes of treadmill work this morning, I burned 326 calories.

Interesting. I tried to log that on my chart but can't find it in a search, nor figure how to create it as a new activity.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Our company purchases them for anyone who requests one, and I love it. All I have to do is hold a button and it adjusts high or lower depending on where I want it. I also have a balance board that I like to stand on for periods of time while I'm working just to give my core a little jolt and make me focus more. I highly recommend it if you can afford to!

What brand do you have? I have been looking online and some seem to have mixed reviews. I'd like to get one personally recommended by someone.

Ummm....I have no idea! I've taken a picture of my desk...maybe someone who also has one knows?
    x2ujgktroovs.jpg

No, I meant the balance board -- sorry, I was unclear.
  • dgobbett
    dgobbett Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    They are a great option, I have one in my office. It is important to set them up in a way where you are still considering ergonomics otherwise you will start to hurt your neck, shoulders, and back.
  • gschoemaker
    gschoemaker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just bought one of these https://www.autonomous.ai/ built to order. The base price is $249 and then you customize for your own purposes. Mine came in around $400, but it is still far less than many of the products out there and I get what I want.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i just asked to buy 2 of the ori's (i have 2 monitors)...i love the greener cheaper option!