Weight lifting starting out book recommendations

Options
Hi
My brother in law is looking to start lifting and obviously I want him to do this as safely as possible. He lives in an area where the gym is not really an option so I'm asking if the mfp community has any suggestions of good books I could recommend to him.
Thanks guys.

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    No gym? "You are your own gym"
    Eventual access to a gym? "Starting Strength"
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe if he plans to purchase a barbell set to use at home and do heavy lifting. It's cheaper on Kindle.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    "Starting Strength" gets my vote too. If you don't have a gym look up "Convict Conditioning". All about body weight workouts.

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    xlgman wrote: »
    "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe if he plans to purchase a barbell set to use at home and do heavy lifting. It's cheaper on Kindle.

^this book is the ultimate beginners guide to lifting weights. After he has studied that book and trained for a few months, he should read "Practical Programming" which is also by Mark Rippetoe.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i really like starting strength too. it's hard to get in canada but some lovely american mfp-er mailed me a copy of it and will probably get into heaven for it.

have to say though, i never figured out how to do that hip-bounce he put into the press.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    Really nothing better than "Starting Strength" for an introductory book on how and why to do the basic "big 4" compound lifts (SQTs, DLs, OHPs snd BPs) plus useful accessory lifts.

If you don't want to buy the book, go to the Starting Strength website and Google "Mark Rippetoe" to find a plethora of videos and articles that covers as much, if not more, than is covered in the book.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I really liked New Rules of Lifting for Women. He might like the original (New Rules of Lifting).
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    i really like starting strength too. it's hard to get in canada but some lovely american mfp-er mailed me a copy of it and will probably get into heaven for it.

have to say though, i never figured out how to do that hip-bounce he put into the press.

That hip bump on the press was a stupid idea. I love Coach Rippetoe's work but there are a couple things he has come up with that sound a little nonsensical.
  • AnemoneWoodshadow
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.