eating on the run?

Options
I'm signed up for a half marathon in about a month. My runs have progressed to the well beyond 1 hour mark now and I'm hitting a wall around the 90 minute mark. I've carried water with me for a bit now but have been running out of that as well so I ordered a camelbak circuit which allows me to take 1.5 liters of water in a bladder along with 2 smaller water bottle pouches. This means I could carry food. I'd like to avoid gels simply because my attempt with them nearly resulted in a code brown(I will now be carrying some tp). I have a package of chews I plan on trying in the morning.

I have read that some people have success with baby food pouches of fruit like banana mixes.
I've also heard that honey works.
What do you all use?

I have read that a half marathon is quick enough not to need extra nutrition but I don't think this is the case since my speed on race day will probably be closer to 3 hours than 2.

Replies

• mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use the Jelly Belly Sports Beans on my long runs. My first half marathon they were giving them out on the course and they gave me a great boost. I've been a loyal user ever since. I can't remember the exact time, but I think some recommend taking in calories after about 60-75 minutes on a run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Sports beans, honey stinger chews are both options.

I'm trying tailwind at my next marathon.

I would say that you may be overdrinking if you're going through that volume of water though.
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my 1/2 I mainly used Cliff shotblocks and cut them in half, an entire one was kinda hard to chew. I've also used honey stingers, JB sports beans and mini cliff bars and just take a bite every now and again. I start about 20-30 minutes in then every couple miles or so.

I hit my first wall during a 15K and never wanted to feel like that again. I've read recommendations that anything much beyond 75 minutes may require fuel, depending on the person. Good luck!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I would say that you may be overdrinking if you're going through that volume of water though.

for now I've just been carying like a 20 oz bottle I haven't gotten the pack yet. It comes in the mail today.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I also like the Sport Beans. They come in caffeinated and uncaffeinated. I usually bring 2 pouches...1 of each kind... with me, eat 1/2 a pouch every 20 to 30 minutes, starting at 30, alternating between the 2. I've tried the Clif Bloks and they would be my 2nd choice. They taste really good, but are kind of big.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I make my own "gel" - 3 parts honey, 1 part molasses, a pinch of salt and just a little water to thin it out enough to consume from a gel flask, super easy to digest and cheap (1 gel flask is about the same as 4 or 5 pouches without the littler.

Is the camelback one specifically for running? I know trail runners & I've always had visions of horrible chafing. Most road races will have enough aid stations that you don't need to carry water and 1.5 litres is way more than you'll need for a training run, especially with the cooler weather coming.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »

for now I've just been carying like a 20 oz bottle I haven't gotten the pack yet. It comes in the mail today.

500ml is about as much as I'd suggest for a half, particularly as you've got aid stations.

Personally I use an Inov-8 race vest with space for 2 500ml bottles, and that'll do me for a 20 mile training run.

I've used a Camelbak in the past, and got uncomfortable chafing
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    If you are 'hitting the wall' after only 90 minutes, you are either going too fast for your fitness level, or you are going too fast for environmental conditions, in my opinion.
  • tguenny
    tguenny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make my own "gel" - 3 parts honey, 1 part molasses, a pinch of salt and just a little water to thin it out enough to consume from a gel flask, super easy to digest and cheap (1 gel flask is about the same as 4 or 5 pouches without the littler.

Is the camelback one specifically for running? I know trail runners & I've always had visions of horrible chafing. Most road races will have enough aid stations that you don't need to carry water and 1.5 litres is way more than you'll need for a training run, especially with the cooler weather coming.

Hi there,

please stop telling people to use powders to help or prevent the chafing!! (Not saying YOU did, speaking it out for the community) Powders contain talcum, which gets clumsy pretty quickly and makes the chafing even worse, especially between the legs and the thigh area, the armpit and the *kitten*...

The best anti chafing products are gels and balms in my opinion, whereas balms tend to clogg the pores, which isn't good too. Try to get one of those silicone-based gels. They strengthen the skin surface, leave the pores open for air and last pretty long. Also they are much easier to apply than common sticks...

Here's a filter where you can enter your affected body part and what type of product you prefer etc. Maybe that'll show you a solution that you didn't think of yet?! :)

http://antichafing.net/

Just my 2 cents! Spread the word! ;)

Cheerio,
    Katey