Too many calories left over, but not hungry. Do I eat anyway?

Options

Replies

• LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    LUHAN27 wrote: »
    Also you said, "It's quite late, around dinner time."

Have you eaten dinner?

I've only eaten lunch. No dinner. Thank you for suggestions by the way.

You're welcome.

Maybe have dinner of some kind. Whatever you feel like you can eat. If you end up hungry in the night a midnight snack won't hurt either. I find that on days my appetite just isn't there I do end up hungry at some odd hour. But also I find it hard to force myself to eat when I just don't want to. Liquid calories could also be good in this situation. Maybe chocolate milk? Or a Milk shake?
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Oh my......it wont kill you to have 600 calories if its just for one day. That has happened to me a lot especially if I have been sick. Did not affect my 100 pound loss one bit. If you are worried eat more calories to make up for it over the next few days. Don't overthink it.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I glad you guys understand my situation. I think I may eat a snack or something. :)
  • LUHAN27
    Options
    babicak3z wrote: »
    i would drink a protein shake in there with a scoop of peanut butter to get some more calories and to keep the metabolism going.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    1. Do get a food scale. It really is essential.
    2. Another option is to stop eating for that day and add 100 calories over the next six days. Many people on the forums count calories weekly, not daily.

Really? I had not heard of this. I wonder if I may find it better to do than the daily thing. Does MFP have that option in the food diary?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    If I end up with like 200 calories left I would eat some peanut butter or almond butter - something like that. Lots of calories in a small serving.
  • LUHAN27
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I really need to get a food scale. Also thank you for the suggestions, I feel sort of hungry so I'll eat something.:)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Cool. A rare outlier day - not a big deal. A regular occurrence, however, would mean either you're eating more than you think, or something else is up. I think you're good to go today, though. Just bank your calories for another day.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken, if you are referring to looking at a weekly goal rather than a daily goal it works well for a lot of people.
    I have a quiet mid week, so eat slightly less, and save those calories for the higher days.
    This has been successful for me during weight loss and maintenance.

Cheers, h.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If it's a rare day I wouldn't worry. You might be coming down with a cold or something. I'd just eat what you felt like. Anyhow - all the more calories gathered up for a couple of days time when you can have a treat if you feel like it!
  • RodneyCornelius
    RodneyCornelius Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just aren't that hungry. Not sure you need to complicate more than that, especially as you state that this isn't normal.

As much as I believe in getting all of your calories in, I am also a fan of the 'WHEN' approach - When Hungry, Eat Naturally.

Happened to me yesterday in fact. I exercised (strength training and cardio) and burned 1000 calories, but didn't eat any of those back, and to boot only ate 1000 of my normally allowed 2100. So I was operating at a 2100 calories deficit. Today might be a day that I go a bit past my calorie limit, but since I am looking at the overall trend line, it's no biggie.

Enjoy your snack...or not, depending on how you feel :)
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm very active this happens to me bc the intense activity suppresses my appetite. But I will be very hungry the next day. I try to listen to my body. If I'm around 1,000 and not hungry I won't eat anything else but if I'm at 800 or so then I will have some almonds or peanut butter. Or maybe even a glass of milk. I usually get around 1400 a day so I think for me it averages out and I try not to obsess about it. Obsession in my personal experience leads me to throw in the towel when I slip up and don't meet my own unfair standards. This time around I'm relaxing a bit!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry, no I don't. U will be hungry tomorrow and eat then.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If it's just a one-off, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Nickisa24
    Nickisa24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This happens to me occasionally. Especially since I've been back at work. I realise I've skipped breakfast and lunch time is nearly over so I'll have a 5-600 cal lunch which fills me up and then I don't think about dinner because I had lunch late. I normally try to eat something if my calorie intake is that low. But don't panic too much. Just remember it later on in the week when you reallllllyyy want that slice of chocolate cake ;)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    It happens when you start counting calories to go overboard and under eat because you're paying so much attention to your goals. Of course you're here because you are overweight, and you didn't get that way being stuffed on 600 calories. right?
    If you under eat a few days during the week.. you could use the calories you didn't use for a meal when you eat out on the weekends, or a splurge meal. Things would all equal out. But if you under eat all the time.. you must realize it will be counter productive and the good advice is to eat at least 1200 calories a day to be a healthy human. So, remember "balance" is the key to happiness and success.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    As it's not typical, don't worry about it. Some days you feel hungrier than others. If you eat low today, you can eat high another day when you are hungrier. It usually balances out.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have 1-2 days a week that I have little appetite. I find that 5:2 intermittent fasting (IF) fits my natural pattern. It might work for you if this becomes a pattern for you. If it is atypical, the other suggestions (not force food and not to worry) are great.