Being called fat...

Options
Does this bother anyone else?

I KNOW I'm fat. And most of the time I'm totally ok with being described that way. I'll use the word fat instead of plus size, big or curvy. Blah, I hate curvy!

But when I hear people calling me fat out of annoyance, that really upsets me and I'm not sure why. I guess I feel like their use of the word fat is more judgemental when it's said in that context? It happened this morning and it took me about 45 minutes to fight off the urge to cry, and now I feel... deafeated. And like it would be better if I don't eat anything at all today.

Anyway, I just needed to vent.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    might be a good read. i found it food for thought. ;)
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/589/transcript
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    might be a good read. i found it food for thought. ;)
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/589/transcript

Thanks! I caught bits of that and have been meaning to listen to (or read) the whole thing. Based on what I did hear, I highly recommend.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yea...it can be disheartening, but realize that those people are putting you down b/c they are deflecting the severe problems in their own lives.

You can get rid of the fat, and when your a smoking-hot size 6/8/10...tell them to kiss your firm, sexy AZZ ! :)

(sorry...MFP wont let me type in as-s) lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. People will always have something to say. When you lose the weight people will have some sort of backhanded skinny shaming comment as well.

This is true. I started out obese and completely out of shape. Now that I am a healthy weight I've had new posters state that I don't understand their situation because they are overweight/out of shape.

OP, I am sorry that somebody called you fat out of annoyance. I understand what you are saying and I think that @clicketykeys summed it up really well. I hope that your day gets better!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    What the hell gives someone the right to call anyone fat. Thats plain rude.

A former boss that I had not seen in a while stopped in to where I worked and the first thing she said to me was "Damn Nic, you got fat." The woman has no filter.

But I'm glad she did. I mean she was right, and it spurred me to look at myself honestly in the mirror and realize I needed to do something about it.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    When I was thin, most people felt the need to tell me I was too thin. I really wasn't. I was right where I needed to be for my height in the BMI. But it didn't stop anyone from telling me to eat more. Now that I'm fat (I call myself fat all the time, I don't care) no one says a word about my weight. Not good or bad. Never heard anyone whispering about me, which frankly, i'm surprised. I had more negative comments about my weight when I was thin than I every have since I've been bigger. Seriously, you can't win.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Nobody felt the need to tell me I was fat when I was fat. Now that I'm less fat they tell me I'm skinny. I guess as we change our appearance the difference is seen by others as so wrong that it must be remarked at once. People's brains have a fast response and a slow response. The fast one is for survival, and is the one that recognizes spiders and snakes. If one of us were to exhibit the symptoms of bubonic plague or leprosy, the fast response would be a key component of other people surviving. Since fat isn't catching, or is it?, the fast response is not helpful. The only way to actually provide evolutionary selection against the fast response is to choose to be patient and calm. Sorry.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sorry that someone in your life is using an insulting term "out of annoyance". Is it someone you could speak to about it? Any chance you could convince them to say something like "I'm really frustrated with you right now, I need some space", instead?
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's incredibly rude and very selfish, please feel free to point them in my direction, that really makes me angry hearing things like that.
    Rise above it Laura don't let it pull you down, let those comments empower you to succeed.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Overweight people aren't curvy or big, they are overweight or fat

Totally agree, but I want to add that when I was NOT fat, I was curvy but I thought I was fat and so did some other people. I had wide hips and a round bottom, but was not overweight. I was 5'6" and 130-140 lbs. It was not stylish at the time. (Sorry, I'm not sure how off topic I'm taking this.)
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    In May, this year a girl passed a comment at me while I was running. This is what she told her boyfriend-->look an elephant is running. I almost had a meltdown lol but I took it as a challenge and started running hard and fast in the months to come by and lost some weight. I was 80 kgs in May now I am 75 kgs! So what I learnt is sometimes you gotta use other's negativity/criticism as motivation to attain your goals
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    In May, this year a girl passed a comment at me while I was running. This is what she told her boyfriend-->look an elephant is running. I almost had a meltdown lol but I took it as a challenge and started running hard and fast in the months to come by and lost some weight. I was 80 kgs in May now I am 75 kgs! So what I learnt is sometimes you gotta use other's negativity/criticism as motivation to attain your goals
    Some people continue to leave me dumbfounded. You're working on yourself, she's satisfied with being an ugly human being. Gee, look who won!