Triathlon swim section.

Options
Am looking at maybe doing first tri next year.
I usually swim in trunks, rash vest with sports bra underneath. ( don't get enough support with costumes). Also find a one piece doesn't fit either drops off shoulders, or next size down, digs in and I can't breath.
This race is in pool and looking at last year photos only couple of ladies were in one piece costumes. Is this only option.

Replies

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I wear a triathlon suit (some come with built in bras, others do not and you'll add a sports bra) because you need to be in something that can be worn not just in the pool but also on the bike and for the run. Tri suits are designed for all three sports. People sometimes dispense with the standard gear and do their own thing, especially at a beginner friendly triathlon where not everyone is worrying about shaving small amounts off their time or where they don't want to invest in new clothes for a sport they are just beginning. I have seen people wear one piece swimsuits and then pull shorts and shirt on after the swim, or spandex shorts and a sports bra (no top).

Whatever you wear, you are in public (no changing room) with the race clock running during your swim/bike and bike/run transition, so you need to pick something for swimming that you could wear on the bike/run or change out of in just a few seconds while dripping wet (try it--hard to change quickly while wet) without flashing anyone.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, so can't speak from a women's comfort point of view, but I can tell you that the vast majority of the women in triathlons, including all of the women I train with, wear a two piece outfit consisting of a compression fitted sleeveless tri top and tri shorts. The top is worn under the wetsuit, so no changing upon exiting the water. Tri shorts have a thin chamois cushion on the seat that provides cushioning while riding the bike. As mentioned by the poster above, a one piece tri suit works great as well.
    Of course, for a pool swim race the wetsuit is not needed, so you have options. But remember, the clock is ticking even while you are changing! Good luck.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I wear a two piece suit, the finals brand from swim outlet.com with a tri shirt and padded bike shorts over.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you . Looks like it should be okay. I wear shortsleeve ones. But may look out for a sleeveless. When next out of town will see about the top and shorts, ( not a lot of selection.locally). As im often between sizes would like to check fit first time.