OMG just found the most horrific weight loss website:(

Options
Was searching for reasons as to why I feel a bit nauseous doing fasted exercise and found the most horrific pro-anorexia website. Now I've never had an eating disorder like that and so no, I can't truly appreciate how those suffering from it feel and think but to see it promoted as a "healthy lifestyle" and a "good choice" really shocked me. Some of the listed "rules" for the "Ana religion and lifestyle" are just awful:

Being healthy doesn't matter, only being thin matters
If you're not thin you're not attractive
If you're not thin you're worthless
If you're not thin you're ugly and disgusting to everyone

There are forums where people are attempting to fast purely on water for weeks at a time or eat less than 200 cals while exercising for hours on end. It makes me feel sad that people put their bodies and minds under such strain when there are so many good ways to lose weight and be healthy and strong at the same time :'(

Replies

• MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The rules are absurd.
    The second rule is subjective. Someone has to be attracted to you for you to be attractive, and even then it is only one person's opinion.

I think these rules are symptomatic of mental health issues. If anyone feels this way I would urge them to see a doctor immediately.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I don't understand who would flag OP's post. pro-anorexia people? :o

Just a knee-jerk reaction from people who see "pro-ana" and just assume the OP is promoting it, when in fact she's doing just the opposite.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Anorexia isn't a diet, it's mental illness. It's not about losing weight as much as it a form of self harm.
    It's weird that OP would bring it up unsolicited.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Eating disorders kill and sadly those sick encourage others to stay sick with them. As a recovering bulimic I had to cut people out of my life who tried to push me back into my disease when i started focussing on health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    Anorexia isn't a diet, it's mental illness. It's not about losing weight as much as it a form of self harm.
    True, but sites that promote proana are frequented by many who DON'T have mental illness because these girls want to be thin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I don't think it's weird really... maybe OP has never seen a pro Ana site before?
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Wow, very sad.
  • varuamoon
    varuamoon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with her post, heck she is even disturbed why there would be sites like that.

Anyway, to the OP, I have found that I cannot do fasted workouts. For example this would typically be in the morning. I have to eat something about a half hour before or I feel nauseous, lightheaded and just am not able to give it my all. Now if I workout not having eaten anything in the past several hours after I have already started my day, I am good to go. For me it seems to be early morning only.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Some of those sites have some good low cal snack recipes. I used to visit one frequently for the recipes until I realized it was a proana site. I had googled a recipe and clicked he link going directly to the recipe and then surfed around looking at others...it wasn't until I was bored one day that I looked at other areas of the site to see what it was (I primarily access the net either my phone, mobile views obscure w lot of content). I thought the recipes were fun and creative (only 250 calories) until I realized that was all someone would eat for the day. It's a sad site but I still go there for the recipes, they make great appetizers. If some of these people can get their mental health issues resolved they would be amazing chefs.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It's sad that websites like that exist. Although I completely understand that it is something beyond the control of most of the people, you would think that at some point promoting unhealthy behavior would just be shut down.

Maybe sites like that would benefit from people getting involved in finding the members help with their disorders....
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options
    Once that was me, I had restrictive bulimia, my longest fast was 40 days. I was very sick. People who are healthy wouldn't do this. What they need is help, love and support.
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    True, but sites that promote proana are frequented by many who DON'T have mental illness because these girls want to be thin.

But for girls to go there they must already have some issues to begin with. They are looking for something, and hoping this could be what they are looking for?
  • Sapphire_Elf
    Sapphire_Elf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    varuamoon wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with her post, heck she is even disturbed why there would be sites like that.

Anyway, to the OP, I have found that I cannot do fasted workouts. For example this would typically be in the morning. I have to eat something about a half hour before or I feel nauseous, lightheaded and just am not able to give it my all. Now if I workout not having eaten anything in the past several hours after I have already started my day, I am good to go. For me it seems to be early morning only.

Thank you, that's useful to know. I used to run at 6.30am fasted with no problem, but not anymore. I'll just have to get up earlier I guess and have a banana or something!
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options
    Never managed to multi quote on this site...

For some of the points made - no, I have never ever seen a pro Ana site before. I had no clue at all that such sites existed :(

I absolutely 100% would NEVER promote something like that, I was just so shocked to see it. The only reason I clicked on the link was because it seemed to be a forum and someone had posted a similar question to myself about fasted exercise - then I realised the topic and the stuff on the rest of the site and closed it.

I feel desperately sorry for anyone suffering with such disorders that can have such devastating consequences.

The_Original_Beauty - I hope my post didn't upset you and I hope you are either recovered now or well on your way.

I apologise to anyone who has found my post offensive, or unsolicited, but I can't see anything I wrote that would look like I was promoting this in any way - that certainly was not my intention :'(

Sorry.

I spent years trapped in them, it's hard to explain why but I'll try my best. I was sick, I went there sick. Yes I did become sicker. They were my friends, people who related to how I felt, they understood me. I didn't feel isolated, I didn't feel like a freak. I felt like I belonged. I know it sounds messed up, it was but when your sick it made perfect sense.

Don't worry you didn't upset me, I wanted to post from a different POV.

Don't aplogise, you said nothing wrong!!! The girls on there are sick, desperate and lonely. They feel this is their only control.

The more education we can get about these websites, the more we can help stop them and help these girls.