A Ladyparts Question...

Options
I hope someone here can relate or provide me some information... I got on the Depo Provera shot in March 2010, and gained 40 pounds in the span of March-September from when I did not get the shot again. I felt so depressed, fatigued, fat... It was horrible. I got off the shot and since then I've only had one period which was light. Here's my predicament... If I go to the doctor and get on birth control, I'm worried how that will affect my weight loss efforts. But if I don't go to the doctor, is not having a normal cycle causing a hormonal imbalance, making it harder to lose weight? I would ask my OB but he really is not knowledgeable in nutrition and weight loss so I feel like I might get incorrect information. Thanks

Replies

• jbrown9332
    jbrown9332 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think if you go on a low estrogen pill that you shouldnt have any problems with weight gain. I have to be on low estrogen because too much estrogen makes me sick., and I never gained weight on that pill. I switched to a different pill bc of insurance and it had more estrogen and I gained 10 lbs. I would ask your doctor about it though.
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had gotten the shot 3 times, and after i decided to go off of it, it took me almost a year to get a normal cycle back.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different things you could try...it might be an idea to visit a well womens clinic for advice, they are knowledgeable on all the brands and the side effects etc
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I used to go to my general practitioner for my girlieparts needs, but ended up going back to Planned Parenthood because they were so much more knowledgeable about BC and it's side effects.
  • allready_gone
    Options
    Have you considered the Nuva Ring? I have had a tremendous experience with it after having unbelievable issues with every other birth control I tried. I've been on it for a few years now and it's also controlling my endometriosis better than any of the others AND I've not gained any weight on it. Haven't lost any either but hey..... ;0) A little more expensive but has been well worth it for me. Their website has $15 coupons too.
  • homograph
    homograph Posts: 2
    Options
    If you've been off Depo Provera for that long it won't be having much effect on your current cycles, but your OB should be able to direct you to options with fewer side effects altogether, be they weight loss related or not. You might consider an IUD, which has little (Mirena) to no (copper IUD) hormonal component. If you do go hormonal, there's always the progesterone only pill, which has fewer side effects for many women.
  • wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Some of the "newer" birth control actually help you lose weight. I know Yaz and Yasmin do....
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    It really affects every woman differently, and every pill will affect you differently. Maybe asking a general practitioner will be helpful. If your OB/GYN isn't helpful with this kind of info, maybe he could consult with your primary care doctor. Asking a web forum for medical advice will not get you any meaningful information, because the majority of us are not MDs...
  • Funnybunnyboo
    Options
    i always had trouble with my periods, the pain was just extraordinary...so now i have a mirena coil, had it for about 6 yrs, no period, no pain, no unwanted pregnancies.....and reversible...might be worth visiting a womens clinic and asking about it??
  • JenInAustin
    JenInAustin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would find an obgyn that is more knowledgeable. My opinion: they're out there and you deserve one that can take your whole health into consideration and not jeopardize your dedication to weight loss. Good luck!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Are you done having kids? If so, I just recently had what they call an "endometrial ablation". It's truly a blessing for those who are done having kids. It was a 90 second procedure done in office, and I'll never have to deal with yucky cycles again. Now, once a month I can use a simple liner and no cramping at all. Sooo nice!
  • JenInAustin
    JenInAustin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree; ask about the Yaz, Beyaz, Yazmin bc pills. I've really liked it (though Yaz was a downer so I moved to Beyaz) for many reasons including evening out hormones that were stimulating hunger.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you're actively following a diet and exercise plan the pill shouldn't have an effect on your weight. Depo, on the other hand, is notorious for weight gain. Like someone else said, ask your doctor if you can take a low-dose pill, and you should be fine as long as you stick to the plan on here.
  • Yemaya1129
    Yemaya1129 Posts: 75
    Options
    I gained less weight on a low estrogen pill, but I'm someone who gains *very* easily, so YMMV. At this point, I refuse to mess with hormonal birth control, but I'm done having children and have had a tubal so I don't need it for that reason. My cycles are regular, but I have really awful god-awful cramping and fatigue that time of the month. It makes it really hard to work out for about 10 days out of the month. It's kind of a balance between deciding if the pill makes your body gain weight (circumventing your efforts) or if potentially not being able to work out intensely for X days a month is an even bigger weight-loss sabotage.
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm not looking to start any debates, but have you considered Natural Family Planning? The good thing about it would be you're not putting any new things into your body--less likely to have side effects (often relating to weight or appetite). On the other hand (don't want to say "bad"), would be that you would need to be a little more open to a baby since it's natural and there's nothing literally preventing birth. I've read up some things about its success--of course, this would need to be through your doctor for optimum efficiency.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've yet to have any kids but I don't plan on having any for a couple of years anyway. I think I'm going to look into the low estrogen option. At least, if I try it and and I gain weight I can try something else. Thank you!
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I used to take Yaz, and I loved it. In the first month of adjustment to it, I actually lost weight. It also helped with my severe periods and my mood swings. I know it has a lot of bad press, but I would still be on it if my health insurance covered it better. After the first month, the weight loss stopped, but I never gained any either. I agree with many of the other comments, about talking to a more knowledgeable ob/gyn. Good luck!
  • asilmegan34
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn't be opposed, however I don't even know if I'm ovulating and since nothing is regular I dont know how accurate natural planning would be.
  • asilmegan34
    Options
    What is the debate on Yaz?
  • CPTbluefeather
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, I started taking Black Cohosh and in 3 weeks I was back to normal,