Hair loss

Options
I've lost almost half of my needed to lose to date. About a month now I've noticed a significant amount of hair loss. Loss during showering and while sleeping.

Anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    see a dr to rule out any health problems first and foremost. it could be caused by many things. if you arent eating enough or getting enough of the right vitamins and minerals that can cause it too. but definitely see a Dr
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I have the same. Mine's pretty drastic especially with thin hair to start. Try upping protein.
  • TswvNplooj
    TswvNplooj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am eating my requirements. I saw a Dr and have test ran. My irons a bit low but that's it. I'm taking a vitamin daily too.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    I you are netting less than 1200 (net, after you take exercise into account) for an extended period of time... you've found your answer!
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can be a sign of a thyroid disorder.
    See your Dr to rule out any health concerns.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm going through this now, too. I saw my doc and he said weight loss is most certainly a factor.
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know how to stop hair fall you must first find out the main source of the problem. Because unless you do, all you will be doing is coming back and forth in between solutions but not really going anywhere. In fact you might up doing just more harm than good. There are many factors that can attribute to hair recession or massive hair fall and you need to find out which one exactly is responsible for the problem you are having now. This is the reason why you will need to really dig down and see the source of your problem. Other causes of hair loss may include; severe mental or emotional stress, excessive use of coloring or bleaching agents, traction alopecia or excessive strain on the scalp due to braiding or corn rowing, hormonal changes, alopecia areata or hair loss due to autoimmune diseases, and many more.

Each of these conditions will require a different approach in order to achieve success regardless of whether you’re going to be using conventional or natural methods. Protein can help your hair grow longer and stronger, so make it a point to include protein-rich food items to your regular diet. What you eat has a huge effect on your hair’s quality and appearance since essential nutrients can strengthen your hair and allow it to grow faster. Thus, you should incorporate in your diet some food items that are great sources of protein such as red meats, chicken, fish, nuts and eggs. As you supplement your diet with healthy foods, make it a point to use natural hair products and avoid chemicals that may harm its overall quality.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    lilstry wrote: »
    If you really want to know how to stop hair fall you must first find out the main source of the problem. Because unless you do, all you will be doing is coming back and forth in between solutions but not really going anywhere. In fact you might up doing just more harm than good. There are many factors that can attribute to hair recession or massive hair fall and you need to find out which one exactly is responsible for the problem you are having now. This is the reason why you will need to really dig down and see the source of your problem. Other causes of hair loss may include; severe mental or emotional stress, excessive use of coloring or bleaching agents, traction alopecia or excessive strain on the scalp due to braiding or corn rowing, hormonal changes, alopecia areata or hair loss due to autoimmune diseases, and many more.

Each of these conditions will require a different approach in order to achieve success regardless of whether you’re going to be using conventional or natural methods. Protein can help your hair grow longer and stronger, so make it a point to include protein-rich food items to your regular diet. What you eat has a huge effect on your hair’s quality and appearance since essential nutrients can strengthen your hair and allow it to grow faster. Thus, you should incorporate in your diet some food items that are great sources of protein such as red meats, chicken, fish, nuts and eggs. As you supplement your diet with healthy foods, make it a point to use natural hair products and avoid chemicals that may harm its overall quality.

protein may or may not help. she needs to see a dr first and rule things out.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    wrharvill wrote: »
    I'm going through this now, too. I saw my doc and he said weight loss is most certainly a factor.

the only way weight loss would effect hair loss is if you arent eating enough calories and losing too quickly otherwise hair loss should not be due to weight loss,especially if you are getting enough calories and nutrients.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    GaoleeYaj wrote: »
    I am eating my requirements. I saw a Dr and have test ran. My irons a bit low but that's it. I'm taking a vitamin daily too.

Okay, great! Just to be sure, did you mention the hair loss to the doc? Some things don't get run in a general checkup unless you ask for them specifically. If your doc has ruled out things like thyroid, vitamin deficiencies, hormone imbalance, etc. then some more details about your diet and exercise routine might help out.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    lilstry wrote: »

protein may or may not help. she needs to see a dr first and rule things out.

5th response in this thread. She mentioned she did see her doc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    low iron can cause hair loss. my daughter is anemic and losing hair but not a lot.she isnt bald or going bald yet. if its low did the dr put you on an iron supplement?
  • becgraceevemaggie
    Options
    Menopause unfortunately can trigger hair thinning, but you look way to young for that.
  • TswvNplooj
    Options
    low iron can cause hair loss. my daughter is anemic and losing hair but not a lot.she isnt bald or going bald yet. if its low did the dr put you on an iron supplement?

Yes I'm on iron pills twice a day.
  • TswvNplooj
    Options
    Menopause unfortunately can trigger hair thinning, but you look way to young for that.

Possibly I'm just 40 but had my tubes tied in my early 20s so I might be going thru it early.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    GaoleeYaj wrote: »

Possibly I'm just 40 but had my tubes tied in my early 20s so I might be going thru it early.

getting your tubes tied should not cause you to go through it early. Im 42 and going through peri menopause. talk to your dr and see if you are going through it early(they can check hormone levels). I havent had my tubes tied though but know a lot of womem who have and that should not make menopause come on early. now a hysterectomy or a partial one could and often does.if all things come back normal then up your protein more(if its on the low side)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. After ruling out other problems, my doc told me that even healthy weight loss can trigger hair loss. It's just a stress to your system, even if you are not severely restricting your calories. Luckily, it's usually temporary. Once your body adjusts, your hair should grow back. Mine did after about 6 months.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and have similar issues with hair loss, it's coming out in handfuls. Doctors pretty much just welcomed me to hormones changes and that was it, not much they can do in my case. I would check with your doctor if you don't see any improvement with the iron pills.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I had the same problem. After ruling out other problems, my doc told me that even healthy weight loss can trigger hair loss. It's just a stress to your system, even if you are not severely restricting your calories. Luckily, it's usually temporary. Once your body adjusts, your hair should grow back. Mine did after about 6 months.

OP, were you by any chance very sick 4-5 months ago?

I also experienced a health-stress-related hair loss one year. It was from a VERY bad case of food poisoning (don't eat random pizza-by-the-slice in university towns). It was so bad that I had to go to the ER for IVs and my husband had to carry me around. About 4-5 months later, I was seeing handfuls of hair in the shower. I didn't make the connection at first, but my doctor asked me if by any chance I had been very sick 4-5 months earlier. I counted back and realized that yes, it coincided with that awful food poisoning episode.

My doc told me that when you have a big physical trauma, it can "shock" your hair follicles. It takes about 4-5 months in the hair growth cycle for you to realize the loss. Those hairs can't grow, so they are shed (about a third of your hair will be in that stage of the cycle). But it's okay, you still have plenty of hair follicles that are in different phases of their growth cycle so you won't go completely bald. After another 6 months or so, the affected follicles recover, so your hair will start to feel fuller again (if this is the cause).

He said this is what is behind women with 4-5 months old kids suddenly getting VERY thin hair. The trauma of childbirth (combined with the lack of pregnancy hormones encouraging hair growth) has come back to bite them.