Any over 45 women who lost weight, regained some and now working to loose?

Options
2»

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hello, 45 now, but less than 3 months from 46.

I lost a lot in 2012. Had some stress/grief/depression? and gained back about half.

I've been on MFP since Dec. 7. Down 22, but in a muddle right now. Last time around I did a VLCD and didn't know that I needed to slowly reverse out of it. I've recently upped my daily calories and plan to start lifting weights today.

Anxious about both of those. I know I can just starve and do cardio and get the weight off, and I know this will probably be slower, but my head is like "Ack...no, you will stop losing if you eat more, then you will get demotivated and quit...WTH are you doing?" Trying anyway to do things smarter this time and trying to end at a point where I can maintain. And if it doesn't work I can always go back to plan A right?

I do think that it is harder/slower as you get older, but I know it isn't impossible. Ah, the good old days when you could lose 20 pounds over a few months just by giving up fries and soda. :p
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I lost a significant amount of weight then had a house fire. Living out of a hotel and only eating take out for three months derailed me but I am back on track and losing again. I will be having surgery in two weeks and staying on track will be difficult during my recovery. I could use all the support I can get!
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm 53. I was slim all through childhood and my early adult years, up until around the age of 40. Then went through some hard years, dealing with depression, divorce, and working night shift, and started gaining weight--about 40 pounds in all. So I ended up at 5'5", 175 pounds, and feeling awful. Oh, and I've been hypothyroid since age 24, but that is well controlled on medication.

I got a FitBit on December 21st, and started tracking my calories on MFP around that day, too. Eventually started using a food scale for more accuracy. I've lost 15 pounds in 7 weeks, and I'm feeling great. I walk at least an hour every day (outside, doing hills if it's not too cold) and lift weights with a trainer twice a week. On the worst cold days I exercise on an elliptical. I eat back at least half of my exercise calories, usually more.

I'm focused and determined. Yesterday I walked outside for 75 minutes even though it was 25 degrees F with a 17 mph wind (yes, it was VERY cold) and I've walked in blowing snow, too. I'm not going to freeze to death, and I feel like such a rockstar when I complete my walk. Winter won't last forever.

I will be successful. My goal is set at 130 pounds, and I will get there sometime in June. I'm looking forward to wearing cute clothes this summer and to taking golf lessons with a friend. I'm going to start running in late March, and have my eye on doing 5Ks this summer and perhaps a 10K later in the year.

I'm interested in connecting with others with similar mindsets--positive, determined, and goal-oriented. This is fun, and well worth the effort!

ETA: The OP was looking for women over 45 who lost weight in the past, then regained. I realize I don't fit that profile exactly.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Got to goal weight twice but gained back the 10 pounds - eldercare stress each time. Something unexpected happens, I feel like a heel because my priorities are on 10 pounds, feel guilty, and then eat - sort of to say -;()&&@ this pudge - what does it really matter, you vain /;()&@?!?! And there i go - to kfc, Dairy Queen, ruby Tuesday's, Burger King etc. I then feel like crap and start all over. Roller coaster. This time I'm trying to stick with it and hired a personal trainer, joined a gym, and trying to eat well. Plus, discover some better coping skills. :s
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Going low carb is not necessary to lose weight - eating in a calorie deficit is. Like @middlehaitch suggested, choose to lose at a rate of 1 lb./week to get a decent amount of calories to work with, and by all means up that number with exercise.

Losing weight in my 50's has been the most successful for me, and it's because I didn't cut out a single thing that I love to eat, or otherwise impose arbitrary diet rules on myself.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. Counting Calories, eliminating foods and drinks that sabotage your willpower, and patience will get you back on track. Good luck!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I'm 48. I've fought the battle since I was a young child. I've lost and gained too many times to count. I'm on the right track, working out, eating healthy and committed. I can't let anything get in my way this time!! Good luck to you!
  • Outrageous_HappYness
    Options
    UPDATE: (September 18, 2016).
    I have adopted back into my KETO lifestyle successfully and I reigned in my intake to reflect better what I am achieving. I have gone from 186 to 144 and while I am not really dieting (haven't since May) I wouldn't mind losing another 10 ish pounds. Not really necessary though as I feel so dang good. I have found that I have moved away from anything processed (for the most part) and eat Low Carb, higher fat with moderate protein. This works for me and my energy is WAY UP along with feeling like I am never deprived. I used to think there was no way to really focus in on dieting. I realized I approached my previous experiences this way. Dieting versus lifestyle choices that made sense for me.

I also now know AGE IS NOT EVEN A FACTOR! Understanding my why & what I wanted to achieve was. Exercise is important but it does not have to be extreme and it comes in various ways.

Keep the faith ladies.

Serena
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I love it when people take the time to come back with an update.
    Thanks @Square1Accountable.
    Happy that you have found a lifestyle that works for you. :)

Cheers, h.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Nice update :)