FODMAP diet

Options
Anyone heard of this? Has it worked for you?? I get really bad stomach cramps..!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's very well known. Give it a shot if you think it will help you determine what causes the stomach cramping. I get it. I used to often have stomach aches after meals.
  • marsia1234
    marsia1234 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor?
    Yes I've been for colonoscopy and endoscopy, my stomach very inflamed so I'm hoping diet can help with this!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    marsia1234 wrote: »
    Have you seen a doctor?
    Yes I've been for colonoscopy and endoscopy, my stomach very inflamed so I'm hoping diet can help with this!
    Yup. I did those as well, and all the various tests. Hope you figure out yours!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Did you get a diagnosis?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    FODMAP diet will not hurt. Has your doctor suggested an elimination diet to try and pinpoint potential problem foods?
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Monash (who conduct the research for low FODMAP) say you should not undertake this diet without dietician supervision. Moreover, the elimination phase should be limited in duration. It helped me tremendously, and we eventually figured out I had SIBO. But be sure to have your doctors and/or dietician monitoring.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Monash (who conduct the research for low FODMAP) say you should not undertake this diet without dietician supervision. Moreover, the elimination phase should be limited in duration. It helped me tremendously, and we eventually figured out I had SIBO. But be sure to have your doctors and/or dietician monitoring.

Agree with the above!
    I have ulcerative colitis and wanted to try fodmap - it's not a cure (nothing is)but I hoped it might help the symptoms.
    I did it under the guidance of a dietician and am glad I did because it's more complex than it appears.
    It did help but in the end I lost too much weight.
    What was your diagnosis after testing?
  • marsia1234
    marsia1234 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Agree with the above!
    I have ulcerative colitis and wanted to try fodmap - it's not a cure (nothing is)but I hoped it might help the symptoms.
    I did it under the guidance of a dietician and am glad I did because it's more complex than it appears.
    It did help but in the end I lost too much weight.
    What was your diagnosis after testing?

I'm back in the hospital in 3 weeks for final diagnosis, from doing my own research and family history it looks like IBS. There's also stomach cancer on my mother's side so I'm very paranoid about my gut...! I'll ask my doctor to refer me to a dietician! I started eliminating fodmaps today, so far so good but as you said it appears more complex so will defo need the help. Thanks so much! ☺️
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My doctor had me track my diet. I have malabsorption. And I needed to go low fodmap (among other things). I found the Monash University Low Fodmap Diet App very helpful. Low fodmap is temporary. I improved. Slowly been adding some back. But, not all better yet, so I am taking it slow. I had tests to rule things out. Low fodmap diet made sense for me. Before I cut out the fodmaps and foods that I malabsorb I was underweight from the malabsorption. The diet enabled me to get healthy and gain weight.
  • newereveryday
    newereveryday Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My husband follows a low FODMAP diet and his life is radically changed. There's still the occasional incident or discomfort, but it's no longer multiple times a day, almost every day.

He skipped the step of eliminating all high FODMAP foods and then slowly adding them back and just personally noted his reaction when he ate something from the "bad" list and compiled his own list of safe and unsafe foods.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    The fodmap showed me that the main culprits are wheat and lactose but I have found I'm OK as long as I don't eat them everyday.
    The worst culprits were artificial sweeteners!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yes keep in mind it's a temporary diet to help you determine your triggers.