Peter Attia

Options
I have come across his blog, and have spent the past few hours reading through it (not all, he's got too much to say). His thought process and approach seems compelling, but when I read through his daily food log, I don't know if I want to maintain this type of diet longitudinally. He also eats 4000 calories per day. Trying to lose weight on a measly 1500 calories daily would not leave you with a lot of food. Three strawberries in a fat shake? Where are his nutrients coming from?

However, I still drilled down on my carb part of the diet, in favor of fat, because the simple carbs/sugars - triglyceride - insulin connection makes sense.

Is anyone here eating like him? What has your experience been?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Love Attia. Smart man.

I've been eating a ketogenic diet for quite a while. It really helped with my insulin resistance, energy and mental clarity too - just like him.

Nutrients comes from meat, eggs, nuts, seeds, full fat dairy, and plenty of veggies. Nutritionally, sugar and grains don't offer very much. Those micronutrients can easiy be found elsewhere. Like a steak with a salad.

Be aware that Attia has not stayed solely keto. He upped his carbs to a LCHF level although I am guessing that with his activity level, he still uses ketones as fuel. Maybe just not the primary source.

Try Phinney and Volek's The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. Attia followed much of their research, and contributed later on, so that book will give more info on a LCHF diet too

Try the Low Carber Daily group. Attia's work is well known there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • PublicBiker
    PublicBiker Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would like to mention that I would love to get my blood lipids under control, although my HDL has been doing well in the 70s and 80s, and so have my triglycerides (fasting usually below 100). TC (306) and calculated LDL-C (199) are the bad boys. Ratios are ok. Doc wanted to put me on a statin, sight unseen, but I am now trying to figure out the best way to tackle the problem. My bad numbers have not always been that high, just for the past two lipids profiles in 2014 and 2016. The profile of 2012 was ok, on the higher side of normal, but ok.

It seems counter-intuitive to eat low carb in terms of fatty foods, but I guess this fallacy has been drilled into my brain, like it as for so many others. If you read Fuhrmann, and others, they promise reversal of disease states by following their strict vegan, and low fat diets. I tried him, and had to quit after two weeks because of weakness.

But I have started the vegan approach again, only to have found myself weak again, and added Greek yogurt. Daily beans and lentils get tiresome. I get hot flashes from soy products, I just tried them again for extra protein. So, perhaps my body is not designed to be a vegan. I get hypoglycemic, something I never had while eating regular food.

So, obviously, I am still confused what the right thing for me to do is. My doc is of no help, and he can consider himself to be fired.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Check out the group I linked to. There are a few vegetarians and vegans in there. They may be able to offer more relevant advice.

I get reactive hypoglycemia and find that consistantly keeping my carbs low and fats high resolves the problem completely.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would like to mention that I would love to get my blood lipids under control, although my HDL has been doing well in the 70s and 80s, and so have my triglycerides (fasting usually below 100). TC (306) and calculated LDL-C (199) are the bad boys. Ratios are ok. Doc wanted to put me on a statin, sight unseen, but I am now trying to figure out the best way to tackle the problem. My bad numbers have not always been that high, just for the past two lipids profiles in 2014 and 2016. The profile of 2012 was ok, on the higher side of normal, but ok.

It seems counter-intuitive to eat low carb in terms of fatty foods, but I guess this fallacy has been drilled into my brain, like it as for so many others. If you read Fuhrmann, and others, they promise reversal of disease states by following their strict vegan, and low fat diets. I tried him, and had to quit after two weeks because of weakness.

But I have started the vegan approach again, only to have found myself weak again, and added Greek yogurt. Daily beans and lentils get tiresome. I get hot flashes from soy products, I just tried them again for extra protein. So, perhaps my body is not designed to be a vegan. I get hypoglycemic, something I never had while eating regular food.

So, obviously, I am still confused what the right thing for me to do is. My doc is of no help, and he can consider himself to be fired.

Check out the link that was posted. Ask some questions there. Also have a gander at the South Beach Diet group. See if either general approach resonates with you. The second is more like how Attia ate before going keto and how he eats now.

• PublicBiker
    PublicBiker Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have submitted my request to gain access to the group. Waiting for approval, and will then browse the posts.

Thanks for weighing in. Much appreciated.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    eatingacademy.com/personal/welcome-blog-id-like-read

"On January 8th I’ll be “retiring” this blog and launching a new and improved one which hopes to provide much more content. More on that, below."

A heads up for those who follow Peter from time to time.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,286 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    He is very interesting to hear talk about health and wellbeing
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I listen to him for the first time yesterday on the "Ten Percent Happier Podcast w/ Dan Harris"

It sounds like he has had a very big transformation since his Paleo/Keto days.

He talked about how being happier and cultivating good relationships is much stronger prediction of doing well, then is possible with one particular style of eating and reducing excess weight. Very interesting interview.

http://www.tenpercent.com/dr-peter-attia