Options
2»

Replies

• Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Be_Lively wrote: »
    Be_Lively wrote: »
    I work around food, a place that has lots of unhealthy stuff! Some days I do great and some I cave and eat a pumpkin pancake

Welll, I actually wrote more than just that, don't know why it wasn't all posted! Basically, I'm saying that I try to fast throughout the first part of my shift (I usually work 10 AM-8 PM). I try to eat my first meal during the afternoon hours when I have a chance to sit down and eat. I do eat their food, but I usually bring my low calorie bread, tortillas, cheese, etc. and use their chicken or turkey to create my own meals. And like I said, sometimes I cave and eat something I shouldn't have, or sometimes I snack on fruit. Either way, I just log into my diary and count it as breakfast.

Just would like to note that the food I eat at work is paid for.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There's no one who is going to be able to change that habit but you. When you cut the crusts off, throw them in the bin immediately. It doesn't sound like a hunger thing, it's more of a habit, and habits can be broken. You need to stop mindlessly eating it and make a conscious decision every time you pick it up that you're not going to eat it.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    On a practical note, maybe try chewing gum? If you have something in your mouth while you're doing these food prep tasks, you'll be less likely to stick something else in there. Get a fresh stick of gum right before you start prepping. No one wants toast crumbs in their gum. Or brush your teeth after you eat your planned food.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    You need to hire my Nonna to follow you around with a wooden spoon and rap you over the knuckles when you reach for something lol.
  • hoppymommy
    hoppymommy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No, but the people I work with bring in a lot of cookies, candy, chips etc. for everyone. It's hard cus it all sits on our break room table. I try to drink a lot of water to fill up and instead of that stuff I'll eat yogurt or hummus and crackers.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've changed positions now, but when I worked in a kitchen, I wasn't allowed to graze. Grounds for dismissal...it was considered theft. And in my state it is a health code violation. I still only eat or drink on my breaks. Now cooking at home, that's another story...tastes, licks, nibbles, yep.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I work in a place that always has food. During our season every month we have 2 days where there are over 24 dozen donuts in the place each day. Someone always is bringing cake, or pie, there's always a birthday, other business are always sending candy and treats. 2 weeks ago a business sent over Chinese food. There's wedding cake, there's barbecue, there's cookies and brownies and everything else.

Sometimes I partake, sometimes I do not. But if I am going to partake, I make sure it fits in my day or week. Sometimes those extra calories are worth it, sometimes they aren't.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 117 lbs! That's amazing! You can do anything you set your mind to.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    You obviously can do it, you're just not wanting to. It comes down to having self-restraint.
  • kittyy250
    kittyy250 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi OP I have the exact same job as you, I have been there for 5 years and I too had the same issue as you for a little while, just constantly picking and eating the food (not frowned upon at my work so it's even harder to stop lol) I have a particular weakness for their sweet morning teas!

Anyway what I did is treated it like any other workplace and I told myself I was ONLY allowed to eat on my official breaks.
    So if I saw something that I would like to eat I would have to put a portion aside and then eat it when I went on my lunch break. This means I'm not denying myself what I want, just WHEN I could have it. This gives you what you want but in a sensible portion as it is easy to get carried away while picking.
    And to be honest, by the time your break rolls around you don't even really feel like it you would rather eat something substantive for lunch!!!!
    Works for me....
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    On a practical note, maybe try chewing gum? If you have something in your mouth while you're doing these food prep tasks, you'll be less likely to stick something else in there. Get a fresh stick of gum right before you start prepping. No one wants toast crumbs in their gum. Or brush your teeth after you eat your planned food.

Don't chew gum while preparing food. It's against health code here and pretty nasty with saliva flying around.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It will definitely happen when you are ready, I have worked in a lot of different kitchens and patisseries and I still nibble as you need to taste to season and taste to make sure things are ok. So much free food all around that soon enough I got tired of it and it just became "meh".