Hi from Houston

Options
Hi everyone. I'm Tina and I'm 28. I live in Houston with my husband. I'm currently very obese and started using MyFitnessPal on the advice of my doctor on the 10th. I'm doing well on the eating part and it's getting easier to not eat as much as time goes on but I have a question about exercise.

What is the best form of exercise for someone who is a first timer? I'm worried about hurting my knees so don't know if the treadmill is a good idea. Thanks for any input.

I'm on day 12 of no soda and so far I don't miss it.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey there! Welcome to MFP. :) Getting your diet in hand all by itself is a great way to lose weight. Exercise isn't required for weight loss. BUT most folks who are trying to get healthier toss exercise in for the awesome health benefits. For someone who is just getting started, walking is an awesome exercise. It's easy on your joints, and it's something that nearly everyone can do, and walking a mile burns nearly the same amount of calories as running a mile. :) You can totally do this! :flowerforyou:
  • Rosiegirl0820
    Rosiegirl0820 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight for 7 months without exercise...I've stalled now. I started working out a week ago...I actually just rode the bike for 30 min..it was great cardio. I would keep my heart rate at a certain point.
    If you do join a gym...get with a trainer to see what you need to do.
  • badchinesemajor
    badchinesemajor Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You should definitely take it easy at first with the exercise. It's going to be a lot tougher if you mess up your knees and then you can't do any exercise. Definitely work with your doctor and MAYBE a trainer (if you have the spare cash to get one). Otherwise, I would say the bike is a fine way to start because there's so little impact. Otherwise, you should look into a pool exercise class. They're fantastic and extremely easy on the joints. I would probably recommend some sort of pool class over anything else if that's an option in your area.
  • ladyoftheautumn
    Options
    I do love to swim but my local gym requires us to wear swimsuits and I am so uncomfortable with that. I did 21 minutes on the treadmill tonight. Will try for 22 tomorrow. Thank you for the advice!
  • AlabamaBeauty91
    Options
    Ladyoftheautumn I live in conroe so we're not to far from one another.also you should always do what exercises feel right to you. just remember not to push yourself to hard and take it slowly. I myself have been trying to lose weight and get healthier for years now but have been wanting some one to work out with so I don't feel so alone. Since my man works during the day and doesn't get home till late he's out of the option. But lucky I was able to talk my mom into joining me on the experience. As for some exercises you can do that will be easy on your knees there's dancing, riding bikes, walking, even some leg workouts like leg lifts. they work out your legs, abs, and the part just right under your butt.
    If you do decide to do leg lifts I recommend getting a sturdy chair you can lay with your head just slightly under. Make sure you have someone or something heavy enough in the chair to keep it from moving. Then hold on to the legs of the chair for support. with your legs together lift them slowly straight up then slowly lower them back to the ground. Do as many as you feel comfortable with. Hope I have been of some help. Also good luck on your journey.
  • ladyoftheautumn
    Options
    Hi Alabamabeauty! Conroe isn't too far! I actually live in Baytown. My husband is an operator and is gone a lot so he can't work out with me either. But he is a huge supporter of mine. I've been just doing the treadmill lately. I'd like to do the full workout which is 30 minutes but I haven't gotten there yet. My heart rate gets too high and the machine tells me to slow down. I walk at 1.6 MPH. I'd like to do more and go faster someday. I hope it gets easier. Thank you so much for your kind words.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi Tina - Welcome! :)

Exercise wise - I'd suggest taking it slow. Start off with simply walking. Are there any nice parks you can have a slow stroll round a few times a week? Once you get used to this, you may want to step it up and walk for longer or at a brisker pace. It's totally up to you! Until you are confident with exercise, keep your calories in check and get the hang on tracking everything. I promise you can do this.
  • badchinesemajor
    badchinesemajor Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do love to swim but my local gym requires us to wear swimsuits and I am so uncomfortable with that. I did 21 minutes on the treadmill tonight. Will try for 22 tomorrow. Thank you for the advice!

Way to go!
  • smatlalcuatzi19
    Options
    Alabama beauty and lady of autumn... I am in San Leon. I am also a wife to a husband that works 7 days a week. I live in a camper while he's at work in Texas City... the life of a pipliner. I do have 2 kids my son is 18 and works at walmart in automotives and my daughter is a sophomore in high school. I was blessed to travel with my best friend since her husband and mine work together. We just joined planet fitness. I have went 3 days in a row and spend 2- 2 1/2 hours in there... 30 minutes in the spa for aqua massage or the tanning bed or in the body enhancer. Just a little treat for me after work out. I also hate the treadmill but learned if I put it on incline to about 4.5 and put my speed at 2.0 I can burn more calories in less time and less impact on my left leg and right knee. I also do the strength training and I do hips and abs. I can't do it all and I can't do extreme weight or repetition but about 15 - 30 depending on which one... I love PF for the judgement free zone. They are helpful. I figure doing what I can is better than doing nothing. And little by little I will be ok. I am considered morbidly obese. I have Hashimotos... hypothyroid... and I'm a type 2 diabetic. I am getting better so I won't die. I want to see my kids marry and have babies and I want to grow old with my husband. I work out at planet fitness in Alvin but wanted to check out the ones in Houston... I know an hour drive but I'd spend that sitting in my camper on facebook or playing games anyway... good luck on your journey.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm also in Houston, feel free to add me if you like. Welcome to MFP and good luck on your journey! :)
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also in the Houston area. Congratulations on taking the first steps towards a healthier life. My suggestion is to start walking. Start at a slow pace that will not cause injury. Work on building endurance, and not speed. The speed will come later.
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    Options
    Take it slow to start with, walking is good, doesn't have to be fast until your used to it, your still moving and burning hose calories… or swimming, you can build up to speed with that too
    Good luck on your journey :)
    Feel free to add me if you like x
  • ladyoftheautumn
    Options
    Alabama beauty and lady of autumn... I am in San Leon. I am also a wife to a husband that works 7 days a week. I live in a camper while he's at work in Texas City... the life of a pipliner. I do have 2 kids my son is 18 and works at walmart in automotives and my daughter is a sophomore in high school. I was blessed to travel with my best friend since her husband and mine work together. We just joined planet fitness. I have went 3 days in a row and spend 2- 2 1/2 hours in there... 30 minutes in the spa for aqua massage or the tanning bed or in the body enhancer. Just a little treat for me after work out. I also hate the treadmill but learned if I put it on incline to about 4.5 and put my speed at 2.0 I can burn more calories in less time and less impact on my left leg and right knee. I also do the strength training and I do hips and abs. I can't do it all and I can't do extreme weight or repetition but about 15 - 30 depending on which one... I love PF for the judgement free zone. They are helpful. I figure doing what I can is better than doing nothing. And little by little I will be ok. I am considered morbidly obese. I have Hashimotos... hypothyroid... and I'm a type 2 diabetic. I am getting better so I won't die. I want to see my kids marry and have babies and I want to grow old with my husband. I work out at planet fitness in Alvin but wanted to check out the ones in Houston... I know an hour drive but I'd spend that sitting in my camper on facebook or playing games anyway... good luck on your journey.

My husband is gone for a month or so at a time and it really sucks! He's in Louisiana at the moment. He's a nitrogen operator. We don't have children. Not really kid people although we do have cats! Haha. I joined 24 hour on Friday and have gone everyday since then and will continue to go every single day. I do about 20 minutes on the treadmill. I'd love to be able to do 30 minutes but at this weight, it is impossible. What is hashimotos? If you don't mind me asking? I actually have never had high blood pressure and have never been pre diabetic although I get tested for both regularly. My husband is 6' 180 pounds so I'd like to be around his size. I hate being the fat wife to the thin husband. I usually put the treadmill at 1.6 speed and no incline (at least I don't think so). I'm not 100% sure how to work these things just yet. Thanks for giving me some insight into your life. It's good to see others are going through this too! Good luck to you.
  • ladyoftheautumn
    Options
    Hi! I'm also in the Houston area. Congratulations on taking the first steps towards a healthier life. My suggestion is to start walking. Start at a slow pace that will not cause injury. Work on building endurance, and not speed. The speed will come later.

Thank you! I am going extremely slow! It's almost embarrassing considering some people run on the treadmill, lol. But I'm doing it and that's what counts. What part of Houston are you in?
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Thank you! I am going extremely slow! It's almost embarrassing considering some people run on the treadmill, lol. But I'm doing it and that's what counts. What part of Houston are you in?

The woodlands area :)
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm Lisa from the Houston area as well. I have been on this app about 6 months and was working to get my eating under control. I just joined a gym Saturday and I'm starting out slower. Treadmill and some weights and then work my way up. Feel free to add me if you would like.