Workout routines (Planet Fitness)

Options
neil4ad
neil4ad Posts: 42 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone,
I'm M, 44. Used to be a gym rat, then had children, now trying to work out after literally years of not doing anything.

I'm now middle aged, and need to start over with a beginner's workout. I've had to downgrade my gym membership from Gold's to a Planet Fitness (i.e. no barbells, just dumbells, smith machine, and machines), and need some ideas for workout routines. I'm hoping to do a three-day split ( chest and biceps one day, then back and tris, and legs and shoulders). I'm so weak now, that rather than going for heavy and low rep, it seems smarter to go for 3 sets 8-10 reps for exercises. My immediate goals are to tone, lose fat, and build stamina. Later, I might try to put on some mass.

Can anyone point me to potentially useful resources for designing a workout? They would be much appreciated.

thanks

Replies

• Talatraja
    Talatraja Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey! Glad you started back.. its never too late, all you need is little patience and focus. The first and most important thing here is to take care of your diet. 80% of your fat loss and strngth depends on it. You can do strength training for toning ur body. I would recommend to do biceps with back as most of them are worked out during ur back training and similarly do triceps with ur chest workouts. Try and start things slow by lifting lighter weights but keep in mind that u must fail on ur 9th or 10th rep. The reps range uve chosen is perfect.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

The "Basic Machine Program" in the table partway down the page. Already designed for you. Actually, that whole 4-part series is worth reading (as is the entire rest of his site).
  • neil4ad
    neil4ad Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback -- the tips and links are appreciated.