Working from 8-5 with 2 hour commute, too tired to do this

Options
I have been struggling with my diet, my happiness, and my energy levels! Ever since I got this new job a few months ago. I drive an hour each way. The closest supermarket to me is 20 minutes away. I also lost my exercise buddy (my fiancé) when he got a new job too... we don't have any days off together. We used to live in an apartment close to a Whole Foods supermarket and we were eating well (2 years ago) and exercising but I wasn't seeing progress. It could be all the wine I drink. Lately I've been eating Horrible!!! And I'm just too tired/depressed to care. Anyone else feel that way?

Replies

• sxpz
    sxpz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    aliem wrote: »
    The other thing I have learned to do is learn to tolerate waking up at absurd times. I want to emphasize that I am not a morning person! I just force myself to tolerate them. I find once I start consistently working out in the mornings, I have more energy. It is hard, but it's worth it!

Hey! I work from 6 to 4:30 with an hour commute each way, sometimes more depending on traffic. I'm married and carpool with my husband. I do most of the cooking and I workout almost every day after work. I know your struggle very well. I've been doing this for two years. In July I decided to change my life. I'm on track but still learning.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    sxpz wrote: »
    The other thing I have learned to do is learn to tolerate waking up at absurd times. I want to emphasize that I am not a morning person! I just force myself to tolerate them. I find once I start consistently working out in the mornings, I have more energy. It is hard, but it's worth it!

Hey! I work from 6 to 4:30 with an hour commute each way, sometimes more depending on traffic. I'm married and carpool with my husband. I do most of the cooking and I workout almost every day after work. I know your struggle very well. I've been doing this for two years. In July I decided to change my life. I'm on track but still learning.

Great job! Keep at it. It gets better after a while! I've been working these crazy hours for about 5 years now. The hardest thing to do is stay on track. I have definitely fallen off the wagon many times!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I work 8:30-5 and them 5:20-7:30/8:00. (M-F) Also have an hour commute. I'd love some friends who want to connect on mfp for daily support and encouragement. I comment every day. I log daily, and squeeze in exercise daily. I hit the pillow exhausted and pray for 6-7 hours of sleep. Please friend request me. Oh yeah, I do keto (low carb) which is an extra plus if you do too but not necessary :-)
    :)
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Hello! I work 4 am to 2, 3 or 4 pm. My commute is 45 minutes in the mornings, 2 hours in the afternoons. I think I have this down to a science but it took me a good 3 months to figure it out.
    Meal prep AND meal plan. I know by Wednesday, I'm going to be beat and the last thing I want to do is cook food when I get home. I give myself easy meals those nights. Soup, salad, homemade frozen burritos, a microwave meal. My biggest problem was leaving work in the afternoon and starving, so the temptation to get fast food was there. I pack a sandwich or heat one of the burritos I have pre made in my work microwave , punch out and eat in my car.
    In the morning I never wake up early enough to actually make something. I eat a banana during my commute. I pack lots of high protein things that are quick to eat as there aren't scheduled breaks where I work. Yogurt, string cheese, nuts, protein bars, fruit.
    I think the biggest helper for me was the meal prep and plan.
    Good luck with your goals!
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm a 2 hour commuter too. Planning, planning, planning. Find what works for you. Quick healthy meals chicken and veggies. Lots of great recipes. Salads. Leftovers for lunch. I have trouble with Leftovers, I want to eat more while cleaning up. I know it's my warning danger Will Robinson moment and am careful (usually). Sunday shopping and prep helps and is part of my plan. Sucks some Sundays but down 40 so...
    Good luck, find what works for you. Don't give up. Come here frequently for support.
  • GinaMarieG27
    GinaMarieG27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work 8:30-5 and them 5:20-7:30/8:00. (M-F) Also have an hour commute. I'd love some friends who want to connect on mfp for daily support and encouragement. I comment every day. I log daily, and squeeze in exercise daily. I hit the pillow exhausted and pray for 6-7 hours of sleep. Please friend request me. Oh yeah, I do keto (low carb) which is an extra plus if you do too but not necessary :-)
    :)

That is inspiring because you have a long work day yet you find the time. What do you do for meals? Do you cook it all?
  • GinaMarieG27
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    I'm a 2 hour commuter too. Planning, planning, planning. Find what works for you. Quick healthy meals chicken and veggies. Lots of great recipes. Salads. Leftovers for lunch. I have trouble with Leftovers, I want to eat more while cleaning up. I know it's my warning danger Will Robinson moment and am careful (usually). Sunday shopping and prep helps and is part of my plan. Sucks some Sundays but down 40 so...
    Good luck, find what works for you. Don't give up. Come here frequently for support.

I want to do a Sunday planning thing where I design what to eat the entire week and then buy it all and try to get it ready but the problem I have is my fiancé doesn't eat the things o like to eat so I end up eating what he wants which is not very good for me. He eats lots of ham sandwiches and chicken nuggets French fries burgers Chinese food like the sweet and sour chicken.. and then it gets expensive and time consuming to make two separate meals!
  • aliem
    Options

I want to do a Sunday planning thing where I design what to eat the entire week and then buy it all and try to get it ready but the problem I have is my fiancé doesn't eat the things o like to eat so I end up eating what he wants which is not very good for me. He eats lots of ham sandwiches and chicken nuggets French fries burgers Chinese food like the sweet and sour chicken.. and then it gets expensive and time consuming to make two separate meals!

Sounds like you two need to compromise. Maybe eat healthy Mon-Fri and his way on the weekends. Worst case, he should know how to put a ham sandwich together if he is unhappy with what you made!
  • GinaMarieG27
    Options

Sounds like you two need to compromise. Maybe eat healthy Mon-Fri and his way on the weekends. Worst case, he should know how to put a ham sandwich together if he is unhappy with what you made!

Lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with my diet, my happiness, and my energy levels! Ever since I got this new job a few months ago. I drive an hour each way. The closest supermarket to me is 20 minutes away. I also lost my exercise buddy (my fiancé) when he got a new job too... we don't have any days off together. We used to live in an apartment close to a Whole Foods supermarket and we were eating well (2 years ago) and exercising but I wasn't seeing progress. It could be all the wine I drink. Lately I've been eating Horrible!!! And I'm just too tired/depressed to care. Anyone else feel that way?

I work 8-5 and also have a 2 hour daily commute...I shop on Saturday or Sunday for the week. I always make time for regular exercise...regular exercise will give you more energy and make you feel better in general.

My wife and I alternate cooking days...we get what we get when the other is cooking...if we don't like it, we can go on hungry or prepare our own meal...he's a big boy...if he doesn't like it tell him he can make his own food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't have your schedule problem but thought I'd throw out a few suggestions.

Cooking can be faster and cheaper than take out food. Maybe eat out just once or twice a week.
    Get food that you can get more than 1 meal out of when you do get take out.
    Plan a limited rotating menu during the week. You don't have to eat something different every meal every day.
    There is nothing wrong with oatmeal, a sandwich, big salad or eggs for dinner if you are too tired to cook. Pasta and salad is quick too. You can make a fast thin crust pizza with a tortilla.
    Prelog your food for the day and just eat what you logged.
    Cook double when you do cook so you have leftovers for other dinners or lunches. Freeze it in individual portions. A big pot of soup reheats and freezes well.
    Fruit and veggies for low/no prep snacks.
    Use a slow cooker. Most slow cooker recipes you just dump stuff in and walk away for 8-10 hours.
    You and your boyfriend can eat different foods in different amounts. Have more vegetables with yours.
    Some grocery stores offer online ordering and you just pick up your groceries. I've done this and it was about $5 and saved a ton of time. I made better choices too.
    Try shopping for 2 weeks at a time so you go to the store less often.
    Lots of free 20 minute or less workouts on You Tube. I like Jessica Smith tv. Walk briskly for 15-30 minutes at some point in your day.
    Cut down on alcohol and use your calories for food.
    Try to get enough sleep. If you get 8 hours and are still dead tired maybe see a doctor.
    If you are really depressed get some professional help/medication. It can make a big difference.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    So do I (and thousands of others...) Prep meals over weekends, of take a healthy choice steamer to work, plus good snacks.
    Move - get up every hour and fill up your water bottle. Use your breaks to go for a quick ten minute walk. We have a warehouse space with an old tv/dvd - I do tabata workouts/plyometrics/ or other workout dvd's during the 40 minute lunch and eat at my desk.
    Or walk during your lunch hour....
    Or do what I do on the days I know I can't workout over lunch - set the alarm for an hour earlier (even if it is 4:30 in the morning) and work out at home....
    NO excuses
  • GinaMarieG27
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Cooking can be faster and cheaper than take out food. Maybe eat out just once or twice a week.
    Plan a limited rotating menu during the week. You don't have to eat something different every meal every day.
    There is nothing wrong with oatmeal, a sandwich, big salad or eggs for dinner if you are too tired to cook. Pasta and salad is quick too. You can make a fast thin crust pizza with a tortilla.
    Cook double when you do cook so you have leftovers for other dinners or lunches. Freeze it in individual portions. A big pot of soup reheats and freezes well.
    Use a slow cooker. Most slow cooker recipes you just dump stuff in and walk away for 8-10 hours.
    You and your boyfriend can eat different foods in different amounts. Have more vegetables with yours.
    Some grocery stores offer online ordering and you just pick up your groceries. I've done this and it was about $5 and saved a ton of time. I made better choices too.
    Lots of free 20 minute or less workouts on You Tube. I like Jessica Smith tv. Walk briskly for 15-30 minutes at some point in your day.
    Try to get enough sleep. If you get 8 hours and are still dead tired maybe see a doctor.
    If you are really depressed get some professional help/medication. It can make a big difference.

I want to do a slow cooker so bad but every time I pick out things in the book he says no so you know what your not the first person to tell me to just make what I want. I know I'm going to feel bad when he's eating toast and giving me that sad look but I need to do this for myself!
  • GinaMarieG27
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas !! The outpouring of support is really touching me. I feel like I'm not alone now. I really appreciate it.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    i work 8-5 with a 2 hour commute as well

work out at 5:30, plan my meals, cooks proper meals, bring my lunch

stop making excuses
  • aliem
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I want to do a slow cooker so bad but every time I pick out things in the book he says no so you know what your not the first person to tell me to just make what I want. I know I'm going to feel bad when he's eating toast and giving me that sad look but I need to do this for myself!

Once again, he knows how to make a ham sandwich! You need to stick up for yourself. Plus, I bet once he tastes your food, he will probably like it. At some point, you need to put your foot down. A relationship is about compromise. Sounds like you are the one doing all of the compromising. That's not way to live life!
  • aliem
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I work 6:30 am to 5:30 pm at an under-resourced failing elementary school in Brooklyn. I have cried every single day since August 28 I believe. I broke up with my boyfriend prior to this and left a job I was in for 8 years. I feel alone and sad...but I am still not going off the rails. Maintenance mode for a bit.

And I still haven't missed a workout/training session!

Great job! I am sorry about your troubles. I hope you push through it!
  • adlena05
    adlena05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have felt this way and my weight shows it. For me meal prepping on Sunday for the week is a big help. It takes about 2 hours, but it's worth it. As for as excerise. Start off by walking during lunch. Maybe you can find someone at work that would like to walk with you. Then gradually set a day or 2 that you will workout for 20 mins and gradually increase the days and the amount of time. It can be hard believe me it's hard for me. Today I did my first 30 min workout. I feel great. You can do it!!! :)