Ooooooh boy, did I screw up...

Options
2»

Replies

• RaptorMommy
    RaptorMommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm very recently in the same boat where I find I've over eaten yet again, and I'm guilty of beating myself up for it. I'm horrible to myself sometimes. But I've been working on letting myself jut start fresh, and skipping the part where i beat myself up. What these folks are saying is so right. Making myself feel bad has only ever made me quit for a time, which has delayed my progress. Listen to their advice....I'm soaking it all in myself! It's good to read, every so often.

My trainers motto is, "Strive for progress, not perfection" and I'm really beginning to understand why that's important.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Just get back to normal calorie deficit and exercise and move on.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day! Carry on!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You are getting great advice. I'd also say, don't despair if you hop on the scales in the next few days and see a few pounds gained. It'll be water weight because of the type of food you ate. You may also find that tomorrow you don't feel like eating so much, or you may not be hungry for breakfast. Nothing wrong with eating less tomorrow if that is what your body is dictating. These things tend to balance out if you listen to your body.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm usually really good about staying within a calorie goal until I get the hormonal munchies. I got them about 9 days ago (over 4,000 calories). I ate everything in sight. Thank goodness this doesn't happen often. Maybe every 6-9 weeks. I was up 4 pounds the next day. I got back to normal eating and exercising. I'm still hanging on to a pound or so. Sometimes, it may take a while for your weight to normalize after extra calorie consumption, but if you are consistent with your calories and reign it in, you will be okay. It just sucks to see the scale go up. You just have to know that the number has nothing to do with real fat gain. Be encouraged! :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    . . . eh. look at it this way. to regain a pound of actual body fat from your papa john moment, you would have had to eat 3500 calories, right? two pounds, 7000 and so forth.

[eta: unless i'm being super-stupid, of course. but this reasoning sees me through those times gummy bears are on sale, and it does seem to more or less work out that way]

so how bad could the damage actually be? you set yourself back a little distance, but you're still heading towards where you're heading towards and that hasn't changed.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    That's just one of the things I love about MFP. as soon as midnight hits.... I get a fresh slate.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The thing that has surprised me at times about bad days is as bad as they seem they are seldom actually as bad as I make them out to be in my mind when I log them and average them out over a week when it is only one bad day.
  • sintyrose
    sintyrose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Guurl. I been eating my little ol hurt feelings for a WEEK! Pizza, chili dogs, ice cream...name it, I ate it in the past week...I started my healthy change on August 19. When I found out I have hypertension at only 32!! I was 175 pounds at 5"5 I had lost 13 pounds! Then last Monday came with a huge dump in my lap ( a really great job offer that I couldn't take because it was 3rd shift). Soooo... By Sunday I was sick of myself!! I gained 3 pounds!!!!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Lasting damage is done when you give up and let one occasion be the rule, not the exception.
    Just get back on track and continue on toward your goal. Allow yourself to be human and live your life taking one day at a time.
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just log it and see the damage, chances are it's not that bad and definitely not 2 weeks, maybe a day or two. Then just keep going and if you feel you must take the difference and work it off throughout the week (500 over? That's about 72 calories a day for a week) that way you are still at the same and realize that's not too bad as long as you keep going. I know you can!
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just went to the gym a couple hours ago and burned 500 calories...then I went straight through the Macdonald's drive through and got a big Mac :( (not the meal just the burger) which is 550 calories... So I'm feeling bummed out but I always go to MFP community to make me feel better just remember to ACTULLY take advice ppl give you.. You got this, get back on track tommorrow
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I just went to the gym a couple hours ago and burned 500 calories...then I went straight through the Macdonald's drive through and got a big Mac :( (not the meal just the burger) which is 550 calories... So I'm feeling bummed out but I always go to MFP community to make me feel better just remember to ACTULLY take advice ppl give you.. You got this, get back on track tommorrow

Hey, as long as it fit your cals, your good! :) Most people around here work out so they can eat more
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just move on...
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Eh, it's not as bad as you think. Cut an extra couple hundred calories from each day the next couple weeks and you won't even notice.
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Some of the best weight loss advice I ever got was think of eating at your calorie goal the same way you think about brushing your teeth. If you forget to brush your teeth one day, do you freak out and brush them so hard your gums bleed? Do you say "screw it" and give up brushing all together? No. You pick up your toothbrush the next day and keep doing what you were doing, without blaming yourself. When I have a day where I overeat, I just pick back up where I started the next day. The most important thing is that you don't stop.