Low-Fat Diet Does Not Cut Health Risks, Study Finds

Options

Replies

• RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I went to a Healthy Eating class with a really cool dietician yesterday, and they were talking about how it's the carbs. The carbs are what's causing high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I went to a Healthy Eating class with a really cool dietician yesterday, and they were talking about how it's the carbs. The carbs are what's causing high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.

Refined and simple cabs. Complex carbs are essential in preventing said health concerns.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(94)90511-8/abstract

That one is even more sacreligious! (Unfortunately need a subscription to read the full text grrrr). It basically says that polyunsaturates are associated with aortic plaque formation and saturated fats are not :/
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this study before. I don't think 8 years is enough time time determine the long term (i.e. lifetime) effects of low-fat v. higher fat diets.

Diets high in fat are generally higher in calories, unless the person is dilligent about watching caloric intake. In that case, they are depriving their bodies of necessary protein and carbs, and possibly vital nutrients found in protein and carb-rich foods. Fat grams have more calories than carbs and protein. Additionally, the proof is in the pudding. We rarely see morbidly obese 90 year olds. People who live that long generally maintain healthier diets and exercise. Certainly there are exceptions, but the majority of octagenarians, and older, will credit healthful eating, exercise, satisfaction with life, and the ability to cope with stress in healthful ways (not through food, drug, alcohol, or other unhealthy addictions) to their longevity.

I don't really need a scientific study to prove that diets rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and legumes, and low in sugar and saturated fats are healthier. I can see it every day in the lives of seniors who've lived like that and continue to thrive.
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    Yeah I saw a video awhile ago where the research concluded that high fat, low carb diets were the most beneficial to health. The lead researcher was following a low fat vegan diet so he was a bit annoyed by his results haha.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yeah I saw a video awhile ago where the research concluded that high fat, low carb diets were the most beneficial to health. The lead researcher was following a low fat vegan diet so he was a bit annoyed by his results haha.
    Sounds fun... do you have a link to the video?
  • iowaiceman
    iowaiceman Posts: 12
    Options
    yes a few years ago I done atkins for about 18 month's.Lost 70 pounds and my bad cholesterol drop so much that my doctor was very happy about it.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    yes a few years ago I done atkins for about 18 month's.Lost 70 pounds and my bad cholesterol drop so much that my doctor was very happy about it.

Was it sustainable, or was it a diet? Did you stop the diet or did it stop working?
  • katberz
    Options
    Sounds fun... do you have a link to the video?

Whoops, sorry for late reply. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo and the bit about health starts at 23:00.
  • vnvdvci
    vnvdvci Posts: 16
    Options
    I've heard of this study before. I don't think 8 years is enough time time determine the long term (i.e. lifetime) effects of low-fat v. higher fat diets.

Diets high in fat are generally higher in calories, unless the person is dilligent about watching caloric intake. In that case, they are depriving their bodies of necessary protein and carbs, and possibly vital nutrients found in protein and carb-rich foods. Fat grams have more calories than carbs and protein. Additionally, the proof is in the pudding. We rarely see morbidly obese 90 year olds. People who live that long generally maintain healthier diets and exercise. Certainly there are exceptions, but the majority of octagenarians, and older, will credit healthful eating, exercise, satisfaction with life, and the ability to cope with stress in healthful ways (not through food, drug, alcohol, or other unhealthy addictions) to their longevity.

I don't really need a scientific study to prove that diets rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and legumes, and low in sugar and saturated fats are healthier. I can see it every day in the lives of seniors who've lived like that and continue to thrive.

Morbid obesity is not caused by eating a higher fat diet. If you look at the trends in the US government's site, statistics show the amount of fat we've been eating has gone DOWN, while carbs are up. Ironically, this starts just about the time obesity skyrocketed. Listen to your grandmother (we might have to go further back to great-grandmother...) and eat your lard and butter. My grandfather was a twig his whole life and he ate the traditional Chinese diet--which, by the way, includes far less soy and a lot more fat than you think. Braised pork belly, lard -cooked sesame balls...vegetables were just as important, but those were sauteed in fat too.

Then on the extreme end there are these healthy seniors:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-06-09/news/chi-040609lard_1_weight-loss-and-recovery-lard-optimal-diet

Of course that's not for everyone, but you can't knock the results of people who went on it (most didn't go on to lose weight; they went on because they had debilitating digestive illnesses--weight loss wasn't the original plan).

In the end though, just eat natural foods and less junk. Yes, meat and butter and lard is natural, as well as your fruits and veggies.
  • katberz
    Options
    Interesting link vndvci. I thought it was amusing how one of the doctors opposed to it states, "Of course, high-fat diets will give you the benefits of energy and weight loss, but they are just not good for you." So you lose weight, feel great, but it's bad for you because...?