yet another plateau post

Options
so I got down to 86.7 kilos, but since then nothing has happened for a month, it's crept back up seems to be stuck around 87.7 kilos.

some advice seems unhelpful. like, cutting more calories. i'm already at 1200, i can't cut much from there. i walk to and from my college, which is 80 minutes, 3 days a week. i went for a 4 hour hillwalk at the weekend, and that's a fairly regular thing. i was hopeful that would do something, but it's still the same.

do plateaus ever just break themselves?

i thought maybe it was because august was a bit erratic, but there's still nothing doing. sigh. it was so much easier to keep to 1200 calories when it was producing results, but when it's not, you just feel like a fat person who isn't having all that much to eat. i'd hoped i'd be further along with losing weight, but instead i get people going 'are you still doing that diet then?' :(

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you truly are in a plateau then I would recommend increasing your activity slightly as you do not want to be eating under 1200 cals if it can be helped.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how you're determining your 1200 calorie intake? Are you using a food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think you are. You'd be shocked at the calorie count of some things, including beverages, nibbles and bites.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    That sounds really frustrating.

As others have said, how are you calculating your intake? Are you using a food scale?

Something that has been really helpful for me is tracking my weight in conjunction with my cycle. There seems to be only one week a month where I will truly see a drop in the scale. Then it will sit at the same weight for another 3ish weeks before dropping again with a "whoosh".
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? I find I lose inches or weight, but not both. (I'm a bit odd like that!)
  • aft85
    aft85 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Have you measured yourself? I find I lose inches or weight, but not both. (I'm a bit odd like that!)

i will have to wait to measure because i haven't got the cash this week to go replace the tape measure i've lost. I'm not sure though. On the one hand, older clothes seem so baggy lately, and a heavy skirt that has no stretch is getting easier to wear. On the other, something that doesn't fit at all isn't significantly closer to fitting.
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I understand your frustrations. I have not lost any weight now for a month and the scale keeps saying I have gained. I sit there sometimes and cry. I do weigh everything I eat, however, I do not log all my exercise, as when I do, it messes up the sync for my fitbit. Even without logging the exercise, my fitbit calories earned usually range from 500 - 1000 calories a day. I walk/jog at least 5 miles every day. Lift weights every other day and use a stationary bike also, most days. It's frustrating. When I have talked about my stall before, I had people message me that I probably wasn't measuring properly or wasn't sticking to my diet like I said. What the hell, I have lost close to 200 lbs and you want to tell me I haven't dieted properly? I obviously have done something right, just now it doesn't want to budge.

I am set to 1240 calories, I don't want to go lower as I rarely eat back my exercise calories, so this bit of CICO isn't always so cut and dry. I understand the concept of water weight, as I have seen the scale go up at least 10 lbs in a day. Just don't understand. People are so quick to post that dang chart, but it is frustrating when you see that chart over and over. I know I am not alone, as I have chatted with so many that are afraid to ask questions as everyone jumps on with the same answers over and over. Food scale, weight loss is lineal, slow and steady. Yea yea, I know.

I know this doesn't help your plateau, but just know you aren't a lone and many seasoned dieters just refrain anymore in posting, due to the negative posts.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    aft85 wrote: »
    People seem to always jump to the food scale as a problem. I know how to count. I know how to measure. I don't think it's stalled because this or that might have been 5 grams more than what I counted. I'm trying to lose weight, not develop an eating disorder. And if something tells you it's x for the whole packet, then you would just cut that in half.

Or do you think I'm a fool because I don't measure out the exact half of a pie that I'm splitting with someone?

I'm determining the calorie intake as accurately as a person can, without knowing the exact science for working out calorie contentI can only use the info provided on the packaging, or this site.

I think you need to step back and stop taking things personally. You asked for help, so it's time to listen. :)

Here's the deal: weight management is based on evidence only. The evidence that you are not losing, but not gaining either, shows that you are eating at maintenance. What you see as weight gain could be natural fluctuation. Read that pretty chart above and listen to those who suggest you are eating too much.

Are you weighing your food? Logging that pie you share with your friend? Logging everything you eat?

Online food databases have many inaccurate entries, so do your own research at the USDA website.

What about exercise calories? Only steady state cardio is included as calories you eat back. I would choose active for your activity setting because of walking, and not add the calories for exercise, and do trial and error from there.

Also, weight loss is not linear, weight naturally fluctuates and you won't lose every week.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    So your weight has stayed the same for 6 weeks or more with doing everything exactly the same? If not, it's not a plateau. If you're stalled, then you're body is adapting to the amount of calories you're taking in. Homeostasis. So walk faster first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    OP, please don't get so defensive. People are trying to help you.

You would be surprised at how huge of a difference a food scale can make. It was a game changer for me, and now I can't imagine NOT having one. It is permanently on my counter, and it really makes tracking easier. Plus, you don't have to wash as many dishes!

https://youtu.be/TGcdyfDM3oQ